Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:44 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Downtowns might not mean much to some in the south which to me is a crying shame but at least downtown Dallas and Houston are starting to build up their downtowns. Soaring skyscrapers mean nothing if its all deadsville.
Not some in the South. Most in the South. One thing about southerners is that we don't cry over stuff that isn't worth crying over. Our priorities are a bit more reasonable. Which is sometimes our downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM

646 posts, read 815,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

I was thinking of more vivid views of driving down the 405 with DT LA's tall structures and above seeing Pasadena and Glendale behind in the hillside but above the snow capped peaks that ring the city. San Gabriels are part of the Sierra chains aren't they?

THese aren't snow covered but here you can see the palms in the foreground. You can usually make out the iconic LA City hall like in the last.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 PM

129 posts, read 460,735 times
I think in coming decades skyscrapers will come to be seen as a fairly impractical building type for a lot of reasons, and cities that have invested a lot in their skylines will tend to regret it.

In any event, the real life of the city is defined at street level, and perhaps up to about four stories. Beyond that, there begins to be a disconnect. Resources invested at higher levels are at best inefficient, in terms of contributing to the city at large, and at worst an actual subtraction from street life.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
I think in coming decades skyscrapers will come to be seen as a fairly impractical building type for a lot of reasons, and cities that have invested a lot in their skylines will tend to regret it.

In any event, the real life of the city is defined at street level, and perhaps up to about four stories. Beyond that, there begins to be a disconnect. Resources invested at higher levels are at best inefficient, in terms of contributing to the city at large, and at worst an actual subtraction from street life.

That was somewhat predicted and determined in the 90s I believe, that tall buildings were becoming obsolete. It was the thought that the computer and information revolution had reduced the need (and certainly did) for office space;files are kept on computer disks more and more;1 person doing the jobs that used to take 6 before, etc.etc.

However, they've bounced back bigger than ever in the form of "town centers within city centers" where people want to live, work, and shop in them. Plus they are hotels and residences included inside with lots of dining. Supposedly they are more efficient for cities in providing services to them while they add to the street life but of the more desired type the city wants to encourage. Cities want people to return and of course generate revenue so they can continue. I guess cities want multi-habitats.

Here's a couple of such projects in your state (under construction) where like the first and 3rd, are considered a "town center" within a downtown area, not supertalls, but probably a little more than highrises.

Anyway, skyscrapes have instead rebounded as mixed-use structures rather than just for work because people want to live and entertain in them, perhaps have a view, and be in the center of things. I dunno, it seems they are popular and lures people back to cities.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:07 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,772,412 times
^ where will those be located?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post

Don't suppose my city would ever get something as nice as this.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
Those are in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Old renderings of 1 & 3. Number 2 is nearly complete, Number 1 is all but a dead project, and Number 3 is scheduled to begin construction in Spring I think.

Many have argued that supertalls are impractical and unnecessary (sometimes even inefficient), but buildings in the range of those posted above (20+ and 30+ stories) are pretty efficient.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Don't suppose my city would ever get something as nice as this.

In Hampton Roads,VA

WHich one were you referring to?

They resumed the #1 last month (Granby Tower) I believe, it had sputters with the financing problems felt everywhere, just as did projects with the Freedom Tower in NY. There was a problem that the Feds wanted to expand the Fed Courts on the property or something but they let the city have it in the end from what I read.

I think #2 is mostly units already sold for the residence part, much of it is the Westin Hotel and Residences & Resort and they are putting the last touches on it, 38 stories but 500 ft at top tower. Very fancy. They're adding several more other towers there in the Town Center with a "City Walk".

#3 is Wachovia Center, a town center within a Downtown center, which was an example of that concept.

DT Norfolk has quite a few other talls in the works and on the boards, several underway. Granby Tower is 30+ like 31 or something. For primarily residential they had to rearrange so not to cheat on the views, from what I read. Welcome to Granby Tower, Located in Norfolk, Virginia

Just some samplings of what is going up in some places instead of supertalls, just tall and elegant. I just visit there for work sometimes. Don't live there.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 12-08-2007 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 06:27 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,961,892 times
I think Denver has a wonderful Skyline.. wonder why we have left it out of the debate.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:28 PM

138 posts, read 513,578 times
I think it has to be looked at historically. Cities like NY and Chicago developed tall skylines because vertical was the way to go at the time. Without the automobile, you needed to have people and businesses as close to the center as possible. That is no longer the case for most cities. But the concentration they create often leads to creative and energetic communal spaces. That is what I think is most important for cities. I feel like so many cities these days are developing with much more practical and individualistic goals in mind. Its just freeways and suburban homes to get people out to their piece of land where they can be left alone and not have to interact with other people. What makes cities great in my opinion is the public space and opportunity for interaction and shared experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning