Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

Eruopeans (or people who have traveled there) what are the main cultural and personality differences btw the Welsh, Irish, and Scottish?

Are Scots generally more reserved and introverted than the Irish?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,747 times
Talk about wild generalisations! If you really get into it, there are huge variations within the regions of those countries. It would be like lumping in all people from Kentucky and NYC as typical Americans.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Talk about wild generalisations! If you really get into it, there are huge variations within the regions of those countries. It would be like lumping in all people from Kentucky and NYC as typical Americans.
My generalizations come from the fact that the only ethnic group with more per population inventions and major medical discoveries than the Scots are Jews. By comparison there are very few Irish innventions/ innovations but there are lots of Irish/ Irish American statesman and entertainers.

In the US my experience is that people who are self described "Irish Americans" tend to be very upfront and outgoing, while self described Scottish Americans tend to be more "book worms" and eccentric

Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My generalizations come from the fact that the only ethnic group with more per population inventions and major medical discoveries than the Scots are Jews. By comparison there are very few Irish innventions/ innovations but there are lots of Irish/ Irish American statesman and entertainers.

In the US my experience is that people who are self described "Irish Americans" tend to be very upfront and outgoing, while self described Scottish Americans tend to be more "book worms" and eccentric

I've always found that 99% of self proclaimed 'Irish or Scottish' Americans have never even visited those countries, let alone share the same culture! Americans are Americans.. period.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I've always found that 99% of self proclaimed 'Irish or Scottish' Americans have never even visited those countries, let alone share the same culture! Americans are Americans.. period.
I'm not sure it would be feasible, and definitely not desirable to the hosts, if every American with ancestors from those countries traipsed through them.

I think they mean their genetic heritage, which is what it is. But I agree, culturally Americans are, well, American.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,747 times
Genetic heritage? There has been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between Ireland and Scotland over the centuries. I doubt you could identify any real genetic difference, though the border Scot may have little culturally in common with the Highlander, Glasweigian, or Orcadian. Same is certainly true of Ireland (the island), and probably Wales. I could be wrong though.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:49 PM

89 posts, read 303,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

this is true

Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Genetic heritage? There has been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between Ireland and Scotland over the centuries. I doubt you could identify any real genetic difference, though the border Scot may have little culturally in common with the Highlander, Glasweigian, or Orcadian. Same is certainly true of Ireland (the island), and probably Wales. I could be wrong though.
Going by DNA: most people in the UK as well as Ireland can trace their direct lineage to Spain, of all places. R1b is a very common Y chromosome variant in all of the above.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
My comment had nothing to do with any perceived genetic differences between Ireland and Scotland. The word Scot is a Gaelic word meaning Irish for God's sake.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Culturally, they aren't that different. I wouldn't say that one would be more outgoing over another or whatever. There's a strong history of music, storytelling, poetry, literature in the Irish culture- I'm sure you'd find it within the others as well. Wherever you find tons of bad, rainy weather, long winters etc. you'll be sure to find music, dancing, storytelling, drinking- pub culture, etc. The Welsh still use their language and although Gaelic, doesn't sound or resemble Irish Gaelic or Scottish Gaelic (which have many of the same words and sounds).

I wouldn't argue, but I haven't heard anything about them being descendants from Spain though (my husband tells me they come from the Vikings/Normans (which is why you find many "Fitz" names in Ireland). Perhaps that goes even farther back. I certainly wouldn't try to determine any traits by listening to Irish, Scottish, or Welsh Americans since they are generally so far removed from the respective culture that they still see those countries with romanticized notions.

Also want to add that the patron Saint of Ireland, St Patrick, was actually Welsh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom