Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,261,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Sorry to correct but we dont speak the same language, Scots gaelic is very different.

They meant English

Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,459 times
Quote:
Sorry to correct but we dont speak the same language, Scots gaelic is very different.
Kinda makes my point, if both countries spoke their 'native' languages then you could say there is a special bond or something but both speak the same language which also happens to be an international language and the main language in the USA, Canada, South Africa and Australia.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,138,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nederlander View Post
Kinda makes my point, if both countries spoke their 'native' languages then you could say there is a special bond or something but both speak the same language which also happens to be an international language and the main language in the USA, Canada, South Africa and Australia.
I suppose, well there are alot of people especially up north that only speak Gaelic, some speak both. But the majority of us speak Scots-English with our own accent, dialects, accents and vocabulary to go with it which makes it unique.

Majority of Americans and Canadians especially Canadians decent from Scottish roots or some European roots of some sort but the majority of the people i know in North America have Scottish ancestors.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,988,543 times
Quote:
I suppose, well there are alot of people especially up north that only speak Gaelic, some speak both. But the majority of us speak Scots-English with our own accent, dialects, accents and vocabulary to go with it which makes it unique.

Majority of Americans and Canadians especially Canadians decent from Scottish roots or some European roots of some sort but the majority of the people i know in North America have Scottish ancestors.
Scots speak English with a Scots accent. While there are some words from Scots (which was a distinct dialect or low-German language as opposed to an accent), there are not enough to qualify for a dialect. You find the same thing in parts of England where standard English is spoken with a regional accent and some regional words are used.

Scots as a spoken language/dialect pretty much died out in the 18th and 19th centuries and was replaced by standard English.

According to the 2001 census, there were 58,652 Gaelic speakers in Scotland a decline of 7,300 (11%) on the 1991 census. The vast majority - if not all - are bilingual in English and Gaelic. Gaelic speakers are concentrated in the Outer Hebrides.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,374,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I've always found that 99% of self proclaimed 'Irish or Scottish' Americans have never even visited those countries, let alone share the same culture! Americans are Americans.. period.
While I understand the point you are making, not sure I entirely agree.

In the food forum, there have been any number of threads regarding foods considered here in the USA as being 'Southern'. I am aware of them, having lived in the South as a child. However, my first introduction to them was from my grandmother, who came from Canada; her parents having come from Scotland and Ireland.

My point in those threads is that many foods identified as 'Southern' are actually English/Irish/Scottish in nature for they are as much Canadian as Southern. I think there are many of us here who are more culturally connected than you think and maybe even more then we realize.

There was a study done some time ago in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. And I am sorry, I have long forgotten the name of the professor who conducted it. This is an area populated first by the Cornish who came to mine copper, and later by Finns. The purpose of the study in this then relatively isolated area was to understand how groups identify themselves ethnically and how they preserve their culture.

The Finns were an identifiable group. There were restaurants, bakeries, even a college that were Finnish. The study showed that the first group there also had preserved their culture, just didn't recognize it because they were the group everyone else was assimilating to. In other words, nothing had changed significantly in their lives with respect to food or language, etc. for them to compare the differences, hence, it was not a conscience effort to preserve their heritage.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,181,320 times
Quote:
I've always found that 99% of self proclaimed 'Irish or Scottish' Americans have never even visited those countries, let alone share the same culture! Americans are Americans.. period.
As an american, I completely agree. Especially American Women, they are really all the same for the most part. That's why I want to go to Europe so bad, those women haven't been "Americanized" and are actually worth dating.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
As an american, I completely agree. Especially American Women, they are really all the same for the most part. That's why I want to go to Europe so bad, those women haven't been "Americanized" and are actually worth dating.
That's odd... my English husband seems very happy with me and I'm American... I wonder how that is possible when I'm not even worth dating. It boggles the mind.

Not sure what American women and their dating quality have to do with a topic about the differences between the Scottish, Irish and Welsh but I guess some people will just take any opportunity to spout anti-americanism and make massive generalizations that could never be realistic.

I have to ask - it sounds like you haven't yet been to Europe? If so, how do you know what the women are like there?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
While I understand the point you are making, not sure I entirely agree.

In the food forum, there have been any number of threads regarding foods considered here in the USA as being 'Southern'. I am aware of them, having lived in the South as a child. However, my first introduction to them was from my grandmother, who came from Canada; her parents having come from Scotland and Ireland.

My point in those threads is that many foods identified as 'Southern' are actually English/Irish/Scottish in nature for they are as much Canadian as Southern. I think there are many of us here who are more culturally connected than you think and maybe even more then we realize.

There was a study done some time ago in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. And I am sorry, I have long forgotten the name of the professor who conducted it. This is an area populated first by the Cornish who came to mine copper, and later by Finns. The purpose of the study in this then relatively isolated area was to understand how groups identify themselves ethnically and how they preserve their culture.

The Finns were an identifiable group. There were restaurants, bakeries, even a college that were Finnish. The study showed that the first group there also had preserved their culture, just didn't recognize it because they were the group everyone else was assimilating to. In other words, nothing had changed significantly in their lives with respect to food or language, etc. for them to compare the differences, hence, it was not a conscience effort to preserve their heritage.

My point is that owning a pizza place doesn't make the owner Italian.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
My point is that owning a pizza place doesn't make the owner Italian.
I don't believe anyone thinks it does. But fact is, Americans can still be influenced by their European heritage and that's all people mean when they say things like "I'm Irish".

My husband is an English citizen and doesn't have any other citizenship but he calls himself half Irish because his dad was born and raised in Ireland. A lot of people hate when Americans call themselves Irish, Italian, etc but what about an Englishman calling himself Irish? Is that just as despicable? Or is it okay because he's not American?

Or what about an American of Asian decent? My cousin, adopted, is Korean by decent. She knows nothing of that background and has no influence from that culture. Yet because of the way she looks, if people ask about her background, she tells them she's Korean. Is that acceptable just because her heritage is written plain as day on her face? What about an American who looks very Irish or Italian? Is it only generic-looking caucasians who are not allowed to claim ancestrial background?

I apologize for going somewhat off topic here.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't believe anyone thinks it does. But fact is, Americans can still be influenced by their European heritage and that's all people mean when they say things like "I'm Irish".

My husband is an English citizen and doesn't have any other citizenship but he calls himself half Irish because his dad was born and raised in Ireland. A lot of people hate when Americans call themselves Irish, Italian, etc but what about an Englishman calling himself Irish? Is that just as despicable? Or is it okay because he's not American?

Or what about an American of Asian decent? My cousin, adopted, is Korean by decent. She knows nothing of that background and has no influence from that culture. Yet because of the way she looks, if people ask about her background, she tells them she's Korean. Is that acceptable just because her heritage is written plain as day on her face? What about an American who looks very Irish or Italian? Is it only generic-looking caucasians who are not allowed to claim ancestrial background?

I apologize for going somewhat off topic here.

People are who they are because of the environment they live in, and are brought up in. If somebody has American parents but are born and raised in the UK, educated in the UK etc then they are a product of Britain and are British. Same applies vica versa, and regardless of colour or race. Simple enough. My wife is from Chicago, and has Italian ancestry.. so tis not an American jab!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom