Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think one thing that makes the British so distinctive, to Americans at least, is their fearless way with words. So well-spoken and so often showing a wry, dry humor. Even reading British teenagers' posts online I'm struck by their fluid vocabularies and quick wit. It seems everyone has the same outstanding English/vocab education no matter where they go to school.

There is no American Wodehouse. Well, we had SJ Perelman but not the same thing.

Also, I've gotta say, you generate the world's BEST actors.
All hail Dame Judy Dench and Mark Addy....only because they were born in York (my home town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 PM

539 posts, read 1,805,781 times
From another American; I'd say it was that you Brits actually understand what irony is, that, and the abillity to make anyone else feel inferior... but in the most polite manner.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,235,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think one thing that makes the British so distinctive, to Americans at least, is their fearless way with words. So well-spoken and so often showing a wry, dry humor. Even reading British teenagers' posts online I'm struck by their fluid vocabularies and quick wit. It seems everyone has the same outstanding English/vocab education no matter where they go to school.
Oh how I wish that were true! I agree that some teenagers do, and even the ones on TV that are parodies of chav culture are pretty fast-talking (epecially Vicky Pollard - literally), but some just talk really quickly, recycling the same 5 words interspersed with the occasional name...

Of course as these teenagers get a bit older they slow down and you can discern the words more easily. If you pick the right supermarket you can hear some great in-depth conversations based around cat food or flour....

"Bert? D'you want this one?"
"Eh?"
"This'un 'ere."
"Wass that then?"
"It's veg int it?"
"What d'you want them for?"
"For tea"
"What sorta veg? Looks a bit foony to me"
"It's forinn"
"Uh..."

Last edited by RH1; 05-02-2008 at 02:25 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,882,871 times
PD Wodehouse : isn't he the author of "Two Men In A Boat"?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:57 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,235,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
PD Wodehouse : isn't he the author of "Two Men In A Boat"?
No that was Jerome K Jerome. Wodehouse did some hilarious stuff - most notably the series of comedies centred around the two characters Jeeves and Wooster. The BBC televised it very nicely with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie about 10 or so years ago (probably nearer 15 actually!)

(Althought it sounds like you already lived that!! Gentlemen's clubs etc... )

Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Oh how I wish that were true! I agree that some teenagers do, and even the ones on TV that are parodies of chav culture are pretty fast-talking (epecially Vicky Pollard - literally), but some just talk really quickly, recycling the same 5 words interspersed with the occasional name...

Of course as these teenagers get a bit older they slow down and you can discern the words more easily. If you pick the right supermarket you can hear some great in-depth conversations based around cat food or flour....

"Bert? D'you want this one?"
"Eh?"
"This'un 'ere."
"Wass that then?"
"It's veg int it?"
"What d'you want them for?"
"For tea"
"What sorta veg? Looks a bit foony to me"
"It's forinn"
"Uh..."

ROFLMAO.......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom