Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,259,342 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what you think of American tourists? I never thought I'd play the part of a tourist, but I'm going to London for two days and spending a day up in Cambridge and off to the Netherlands. We'll be in Europe for three weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,613,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I was wondering what you think of American tourists? I never thought I'd play the part of a tourist, but I'm going to London for two days and spending a day up in Cambridge and off to the Netherlands. We'll be in Europe for three weeks.
Enjoy the Colleges in Cambridge and go to Aunties Tea Shop it is inbetween the market square and Kings Parade - you will love it.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,238,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
I could live with bright and cold right through the winter. I love it. Although having said that I don`t notice any marked change in my mood on our regular dull days. No S.A.D. or anything like that. I was very sceptical about the disorder at first, but I`ve come round to thinking of it as fact now. Still could be worse. Finland, apparently, has extremely high numbers of sufferers due to the very short hours of daylight...Not for me thanks..
Bright and cold yes. It was lovely earlier this week - I work out to the north of the city and the frost stayed on the trees for nearly 3 days solid, it was really pretty.

It's the dull wet cold that gets to me, when it feels like it seeps into your bones no matter how many layers you're wearing.

I spent some time with someone from Finland recently and she confirmed that, although she seemed pretty chirpy herself. I think it's much worse in the north - most of the population is concentrated on the south coast where it isn't so extreme.

It's just the greyness here that gets you down! I still think people visibly cheer up when you get a bit of sunshine. I tend to have a cleaning frenzy as there's nothing like winter sunshine to show up the dust

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,602,834 times
Quote:
Maybe we`ll get that beer.. Check your dates against this. Great venue
The 100 club - London's Premier Music Venue

Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
RH1

See, we're talking about the weather. British. lol

Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,259,342 times
Go figure, nothing going on there on May 7th or 8th.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
RH1

Quote:
I was wondering what you think of American tourists?
You're not allowed to talk, breathe, spend any money or look at a map in public places and you'll be ritually humiliated in the stocks with wet sponges for not annunciating your Ts properly.

Seriously though, have a great time - you've picked a good couple of locations!

I love playing the tourist in the UK. I was taking someone round Liverpool a little while ago and we took photos of each other outside the Cavern club. I've been there plenty but she hadn't. We spent a couple of hours wandering about with a map while she took pictures. Talking to a 'native' later on, they said "oh yeah, did you see all the tourists taking photos of each other outside the Cavern Club?"

"er....."

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,602,834 times
Quote:
Go figure, nothing going on there on May 7th or 8th.
Not yet, but there will be...Keep an eye on it., Check out 8th April

Old 04-30-2008, 05:24 AM
RH1

Default Apologising

I've resurrected Moose's thread as I was in the supermarket last night wondering about our tendency to over-apologise and how widespread it is/ what our American friends think about it.

Last night while shopping, I apologised for the following:

- someone else getting in the way of my trolley
- someone else nearly crashing into my trolley
- getting something off the shelf while an assistant was stacking it (oh I am so sorry for keeping you in your job)
- not having put down a "Next customer" divider thing for the person behind me, as I didn't notice in time so they had to get it themselves.

When I had a car accident about 10 years ago, even though we all know now to admit fault, both parties immediately started apologising, it was a veritable festival of sorriness.

What are everyone else's opinions of this phenomenon? Is it a British thing? Does it happen a lot elsewhere?

What do you think about it? Is it hilarious? Stupid? Quaint? Cute? Insane?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,677,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I've resurrected Moose's thread as I was in the supermarket last night wondering about our tendency to over-apologise and how widespread it is/ what our American friends think about it.

Last night while shopping, I apologised for the following:

- someone else getting in the way of my trolley
- someone else nearly crashing into my trolley
- getting something off the shelf while an assistant was stacking it (oh I am so sorry for keeping you in your job)
- not having put down a "Next customer" divider thing for the person behind me, as I didn't notice in time so they had to get it themselves.

When I had a car accident about 10 years ago, even though we all know now to admit fault, both parties immediately started apologising, it was a veritable festival of sorriness.

What are everyone else's opinions of this phenomenon? Is it a British thing? Does it happen a lot elsewhere?

What do you think about it? Is it hilarious? Stupid? Quaint? Cute? Insane?

The constant apologising is very British but it is contagious as I now do exactly the same... I still find it bemusing how terrible people are in the UK about complaining though.
People will have the most terrible meal and when asked how it was reply :"lovely, thank you " !

Have you seen " Dom Joly's complainers" ? It really epitomises the placidness of Brits in some circumstances. I actually believe it is often bad for you though, as Brits do repress things a lot more and when it comes out it comes out far worse ( road rage is one example). I think a lot of violent behaviour comes out of being repressed and alcohol fuels uninhibited behaviour and the true self comes out except magnified.

I think we need to learn the skill to complain firmly but in a pleasant manner . It will improve the service industry, and national services too. Brits put up with far too much.
Bad train services, some ropey NHS services, wheel -clamping etc..

Americans IMO do often take it to an extreme ( the customer should not always be king - rudeness in my opinion should not be tolerated from anyone).

I find it quaint and funny but also irritating that people apologise for everything. I know because I am guilty of it and it bugs the hell out of me but I think 20 years in the UK have finally broken my spirit !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom