Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,582,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I've resurrected Moose's thread as I was in the supermarket last night wondering about our tendency to over-apologise and how widespread it is/ what our American friends think about it.

Last night while shopping, I apologised for the following:

- someone else getting in the way of my trolley
- someone else nearly crashing into my trolley
- getting something off the shelf while an assistant was stacking it (oh I am so sorry for keeping you in your job)
- not having put down a "Next customer" divider thing for the person behind me, as I didn't notice in time so they had to get it themselves.

When I had a car accident about 10 years ago, even though we all know now to admit fault, both parties immediately started apologising, it was a veritable festival of sorriness.

What are everyone else's opinions of this phenomenon? Is it a British thing? Does it happen a lot elsewhere?

What do you think about it? Is it hilarious? Stupid? Quaint? Cute? Insane?

I think we say "excuse me" more often here but I do hear "I'm sorry" occasionally. And I'm assuming a trolley is a shopping cart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I think we say "excuse me" more often here but I do hear "I'm sorry" occasionally. And I'm assuming a trolley is a shopping cart?
Oh yeah, sorry. Shopping cart.

I was just interested in the idea that we tend to both apologise for other people's misdemeanours - like if you bump into someone they'll more than likely apologise too.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,582,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Oh yeah, sorry. Shopping cart.

I was just interested in the idea that we tend to both apologise for other people's misdemeanours - like if you bump into someone they'll more than likely apologise too.
Oh I would definately apologize if I bumped into someone or even if they bumped into me. Rather embarrasing type of thing. Along with saying excuse me.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh I would definately apologize if I bumped into someone or even if they bumped into me. Rather embarrasing type of thing. Along with saying excuse me.
So it's not just us then. I knew it! Thank you!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,885,877 times
Default French or Brit ?

My family suffered from Anglomania, a common condition among French aristocracy (that's one of the thing besides wealth-that one is lost-) that separates us- a divide, a chasm- from common provincial nobility : my grandparents had English furnitures, English clothes, English pictures on the walls (a Constable-style oil of the Abbey of Westminster in the XVIIIth Century, "The Adventures Of Mr.Pickwick" illustrated in children's rooms), British nannies for the children, English language compulsive during meals, Christmas pudding, and so on and so forth! My father went to High school in Cambridge, and yet our blood is as French as the Windsor's is German.
Yet although I've never been very often to the UK, I share with the anglo-saxon world, through my education , probably more things (or at least as much) than with the average French guy.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My family suffered from Anglomania, a common condition among French aristocracy (that's one of the thing besides wealth-that one is lost-) that separates us- a divide, a chasm- from common provincial nobility : my grandparents had English furnitures, English clothes, English pictures on the walls (a Constable-style oil of the Abbey of Westminster in the XVIIIth Century, "The Adventures Of Mr.Pickwick" illustrated in children's rooms), British nannies for the children, English language compulsive during meals, Christmas pudding, and so on and so forth! My father went to High school in Cambridge, and yet our blood is as French as the Windsor's is German.
Yet although I've never been very often to the UK, I share with the anglo-saxon world, through my education , probably more things (or at least as much) than with the average French guy.
English language during meals? Gosh. That's very strange. I can't think what would be appealing about our culture against French... times change, don't they? I hope they didn't eat traditional English food instead of French!!! That would be a tragedy...

So was this all imposed on you as well, or just the generation before?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:31 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,885,877 times
More on my father's generation, but I remember that once, when I had "come of age to behave like a gentleman", my grandfather wanted me to have "luncheon" at his private men's club (dubbed the "Jockey club" of course) -with plush armchairs smelling old leather exactly like those Londonian counterparts-and I showed up in (clean) jeans and shirt -no tie, no blazer : he gave me a sharp slap and sent me back home.
End of story.I had not the fabric of a "gentleman".
But I'm somehow thankful to my family to have given me British flair and tastes (there is nothing in France which compares to Lyle's Golden Syrup or Marmite...)

Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
More on my father's generation, but I remember that once, when I had "come of age to behave like a gentleman", my grandfather wanted me to have "luncheon" at his private men's club (dubbed the "Jockey club" of course) -with plush armchairs smelling old leather exactly like those Londonian counterparts-and I showed up in (clean) jeans and shirt -no tie, no blazer : he gave me a sharp slap and sent me back home.
End of story.I had not the fabric of a "gentleman".
But I'm somehow thankful to my family to have given me British flair and tastes (there is nothing in France which compares to Lyle's Golden Syrup or Marmite...)
Goodness. Poor you! I always find it slightly strange when people are expected to behave by the rules of something undefined but never have it fully explained what exactly they're meant to be conforming to. Well done for surviving it anyway!

There is nothing in England that compares to the French sensible approach to wine and the importance of good olive oil, cheese and bread. We English can be utter idiots by comparison. Respect to you.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM

493 posts, read 1,763,616 times
What makes us British is that we (generally) have good manners. We have been living in the US for 8 months now and my kids say that they have noticed that people don't say please or thank you. My 13 year old said she felt she was going the same way and felt bad about it. I told her to hang on to the good manners, apart from being courteous, it definately pays off. It is amazing what you can get or how you can calm situations, with a please and a thank you. I'm flying to Dallas tonight, do you think if I say a very proper English please, that I might get an upgrade

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,067,858 times
I find the Texans to be very polite, mostly, and in fact in supermarkets situations they apologise even more than the Brits!

For example, if you take an item from a shelf near someone, they will step back and say "oh excuse me" as if they were in YOUR way, when in fact you have been 2 feet away - but maybe entered their personal space - ????? And if you hold a door open here for someone, make sure you hold it waaaay wide open and step back so they have plenty of space to pass, otherwise they don't think you are waiting!!

One thing that really confuses me here is the response to a 'thank you'. I always thought Americans always answered that with a big 'you're welcome!' - but here you get 'mm-mm' or 'u-huh' in reply. Very odd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom