Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anti British or not - Are we welcome in the US?
You're very welcome providing residency is legal 47 94.00%
You are welcome - but holiday only 0 0%
Don't care 1 2.00%
Stay away 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM

25 posts, read 49,652 times

Advertisements

I have noticed some quite blunt and anti-british remarks on a number of the US thread blogs on City-Data. Mainly seem to give the impression US citizens are fed up with the number of Brits trying to emigrate to US.

I am seriously considering moving myself and my wife over to US via E2 or EB5 route and was a bit taken aback by some of the sentiment.

Any views from either side of the Atlantic?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,050,781 times
I have been here since 1999 and I find I get treated with more respect than most Americans do.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,044,666 times
I'm Scottish and never had any issues. Which areas have those sentiments? Are there places with huge Brit communities that you are looking at?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks as both of you are from Scotland, have to confess I am English - so maybe you've had a more + experience!
Anyway I worked for a large scottish company....and I liked the Scots a lot..straight forward and direct
Meant to mention we are looking at NC and Georgia, rather than Florida.

Thanks for your response.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,050,781 times
Well I live in NC, take a look at the flag for the city of Charlotte, you may recognise it.

Also the largest Highland games in the world is held in NC

Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM

326 posts, read 1,375,551 times
I've been here since 2000 and have only faced 2 people that have a problem with Brits living in the US. On Citi-Data however, I have come across more negative opinions. I moved to Florida on an E2 and then on to Arizona early last year. I have found the west to generally be friendlier than the east.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM

342 posts, read 1,797,504 times
My personal opinion is that you are very welcome. Although I am a little biased, as my husband is English. I am surprised that you are hearing such negative comments.
We are dealing with a major illegal immigration issues as you are in the UK, just different countries. However, the English, the Scottish and the Welsh are not our problem parties. Besides, if you are coming over here legally and working. The amount you will be paying in Federal Taxes, they will welcome you with open arms!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM

296 posts, read 1,287,861 times
In Iowa, anyone with any of the various UK-native accents will be received with absolute delight and treated very well. You may have been born and/or educated in a colony or former colony and come by your accent that way, but I wouldn't try to educate the natives on that score... just accept what is given!

Seriously, while some (typically uneducated and closed-minded) individuals will try to lump all of an ethnic group together, legal residents (fifth generation native, even!) or not, I imagine that happens anywhere. But since, as someone else pointed out, we are not generally overrrun with illegal immigrants from the UK, I just can't imagine anyone having any problem with your being here.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,889,958 times
Personally, I love the Brits! C'mon over and welcome to ya!!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Well I live in NC, take a look at the flag for the city of Charlotte, you may recognise it.

Also the largest Highland games in the world is held in NC

Thanks ...that's quite spooky. I am looking at Charlotte. Didn't know about the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom