Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anti British or not - Are we welcome in the US?
You're very welcome providing residency is legal 47 94.00%
You are welcome - but holiday only 0 0%
Don't care 1 2.00%
Stay away 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM

25 posts, read 49,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
America in general is very accepting of all european people, though i'd assume in some areas of the country there might be a little dislike of the french (freedom fries much?). The only real persistant problem is with people south of the border.

My grandmother came over from germany and still has her accent, and in restaraunts the waitress will be intrested in where she's from etc etc.

America is still accepting of pretty much any legal immigrants, despite the dislike (probably mild description in some locations) of illegal immigrants.
Thanks that seems a fair assessment - for whatever country you are going into or out of. Same view here in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,609,962 times
Whats odd is that I RARELY hear an English accent, in a country once ruled and colonized by the Brits. Youd expect to hear more English accents, but nope. Anyways, I have no problem with Brits as long as theyre legal. Come on in, the waters fine!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,733,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I have no problem with Brits as long as theyre legal.
Well i have no problem whether Brits are legal or Illegal as America loves the Brits. Infact i'd like to know what the 2 idiots that posted ''Stay Away'' on the poll were thinking?? I wish we had some British holidays over here and not just the Irish holiday '' St. Patrick's day''.

My favorate national news is not ABC, CBS, NBC or PBS but BBC World News with Katty Kay. It's on 3 times a day out here in Albuquerque in the desert Southwest USA which tells me that it's popular here where alot of Spanish is spoken. I wish we had an BBC America channel as that would be just fine with me.

So come on over to the former colonies legal or Illegal...lol...

6/3

Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM

98 posts, read 273,755 times
I have never met a person in the U.S. who has anything but love for the "Brits". You are always welcome in the States. Come on over!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM

180 posts, read 637,092 times
The vast majority of Americans are going to be welcoming of any immigrant, provided they are legal (if they're illegal, only about 60% will be welcoming). If you happen to be a British immigrant, that's a bonus.

Honestly, the only person I've ever met in the US who had a problem with the Brits (and I've lived here my entire life) was actually from India.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 PM

180 posts, read 637,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamant1 View Post
Currently shuttling between London and France, I have heard such anti-American remarks in London by American ex-pats and locals, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a backlash reaction in the US.
No there really isn't a backlash. There was a bit of backlash against France in the months immediatly starting the Iraq war but we got over that about 4 years ago.

Honestly, we're too self-absorbed to put any energy into disliking other countries.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,651,218 times
Yeah, Come on over. Please educate our government that we should add Easter Monday and Boxing Day to our national holiday list! I am soooo jealous of that!.

Cheerie,
~Shanny

Old 04-02-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
Absolutely! We love Britons! Cool accents, cool dress, cool everything! Now, do not be surprised if we come right up to you, without introduction, and start a conversation! I know that this is not the British way (I have learned the hard way over here in London), but it is definitely the American way. We are not mad, (translated for Americans reading this as "crazy") just really friendly and outgoing. Cover your shock and play right along and you will find yourself the center of attention in no time. Welcome to the US, home of the free! There really is no place like America-
Thanks, great response.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastBrit View Post
Originally a newsstand (magazines,books, lottery tobacco),which was a 70K investment. Now I have a pool service/repair business in Las Vegas (3 trucks, 80+ commercial/ residential accounts) valued at 180K.
OK, thanks. Glad the investment is working out!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Yeah, Come on over. Please educate our government that we should add Easter Monday and Boxing Day to our national holiday list! I am soooo jealous of that!.

Cheerie,
~Shanny
No problem, just elect me like you did Arnie and I'll add a Bank Holiday as 'movie day'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom