Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anti British or not - Are we welcome in the US?
You're very welcome providing residency is legal 47 94.00%
You are welcome - but holiday only 0 0%
Don't care 1 2.00%
Stay away 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 AM

119 posts, read 554,435 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! We love Britons! Cool accents, cool dress, cool everything! Now, do not be surprised if we come right up to you, without introduction, and start a conversation! I know that this is not the British way (I have learned the hard way over here in London), but it is definitely the American way. We are not mad, (translated for Americans reading this as "crazy") just really friendly and outgoing. Cover your shock and play right along and you will find yourself the center of attention in no time. Welcome to the US, home of the free! There really is no place like America-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,878,913 times
Seriously. I'm 41 and have never heard anything in my life but general respect for Brits, and of course women dig the English accent, or any UK accent for that matter...the only thing I have heard on occasion is that when traveling on vacation to England, some Americans feel condescension from some Brits as if we're the "dumb cousins", but even that is only on rare occasion.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM

4,802 posts, read 8,773,533 times
Personally, I love the Brits and I adore England.

In fact, the best friend I've made since coming to Wyoming is a woman from Newcastle who attends University of Wyoming with me. I'm flying over to see her in England when she returns in June. I'll be lost without her.....

Old 03-31-2008, 05:09 PM

25 posts, read 49,652 times
Well what can I say.....so many postive comments its all abit overwhelming!

Just have to get the E2 or EB5 visa sorted asap.

...It would be good to meet you all somehow!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks - interesting. Can you tellme what business you went for via E2??

Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM

12 posts, read 21,043 times
One comment stands out in a couple of posts, just curious, which immigrants is the US having troubles with? In my 15+ years in the US, I have always worked and done research on very hard working, loyal immigrants, from all corners of the world.

Currently shuttling between London and France, I have heard such anti-American remarks in London by American ex-pats and locals, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a backlash reaction in the US.

Cheers :-)

Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM

326 posts, read 1,375,551 times
Originally a newsstand (magazines,books, lottery tobacco),which was a 70K investment. Now I have a pool service/repair business in Las Vegas (3 trucks, 80+ commercial/ residential accounts) valued at 180K.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,081,538 times
Come on over. Brits are fun. It's even stylish to hang with a Brit or two. 15 years ago hanging out with Aussies was the coolest thing but they're out and Brits are back in!

Most Americans have no problem with legal immigrants at all. Our country was founded and built by immigrants. I'm only 1 generation away from Ireland myself; at least on my Father's side. My mom's family has been here since the 1600s. Since folks from Europe have to cross an ocean to get here, there's little opportunity for the less desirable elements of your country(s) to just hop the border and cause us undue stress. I'm sure if your criminals were constantly swimming across the ice cold north Atlantic into the US, sentiments would be different.

Just be sure to bring sunscreen. There's a large yellow orb in the sky that few Brits have ever seen. It can burn your skin.
Oh yeah, over here we drive on the RIGHT (as in correct) side of the road!

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 04-01-2008 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: pour schpellin

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,322,937 times
America in general is very accepting of all european people, though i'd assume in some areas of the country there might be a little dislike of the french (freedom fries much?). The only real persistant problem is with people south of the border.

My grandmother came over from germany and still has her accent, and in restaraunts the waitress will be intrested in where she's from etc etc.

America is still accepting of pretty much any legal immigrants, despite the dislike (probably mild description in some locations) of illegal immigrants.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
I am moving to Georgia next month with my American husband and I have found the Georgians on this forum to be very friendly and welcoming, the only arguments arise with language differences but it's all said in jest. There are of course some people who are like the BNP that want to keep others out of their country, but those kind of people are everywhere.

Southerners are meant to be friendly so I am going with a positive attitude. I am sad to be leaving England - never thought that I would, not this bad anyway.
very good luck to you. Can you say where in Georgia you are setting up home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom