Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:30 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I find accents really interesting, and with the variety of British accents across the country, I thought it'd be fun to see what accent everyone has on this board.

I'm American myself, so I don't have a british accent, but look forward to reading your responses.

mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:47 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
I live in the south of England, the call my accent "Estuary" english.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:48 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
I'm American but I've been told I'm picking up an accent. My husband is from Manchester/Salford, where we live now but he doesn't have a very stereotypical Manc or Salford accent. I'd say he has more of a general northern accent.

The Gallagher brothers from Oasis are from Manchester as well. Liam sometimes tends to put on a real thick, stereotypical, nasal Manchester accent. Noel's isn't quite so nasal but even his is still heavier than my husbands. Just search for Liam Gallagher or Noel Gallagher on Youtube for examples.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:45 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
I don't have an accent but I notice that a lot of other people from other places do

My accent is not as broad as this one:-

YouTube - interview with millen eve - true yorkshire accent!

because it even sounds odd to me but I reckon other people would think I sound something similar

YouTube - YORKSHIRE JAMES BLUNT (SPOOF)

And I've used this before but it still makes me laugh

YouTube - Yorkshire Airline

YouTube - Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen

YouTube - HARRY ENFIELD- THE YORKSHIREMAN

Mr Palin is, of course, a true Yorkshireman.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm American but I've been told I'm picking up an accent. My husband is from Manchester/Salford, where we live now but he doesn't have a very stereotypical Manc or Salford accent. I'd say he has more of a general northern accent.

The Gallagher brothers from Oasis are from Manchester as well. Liam sometimes tends to put on a real thick, stereotypical, nasal Manchester accent. Noel's isn't quite so nasal but even his is still heavier than my husbands. Just search for Liam Gallagher or Noel Gallagher on Youtube for examples.

General Northern accent?
I was born in Durham in the North east and now live in Newcastle,but I have a completely different accent to "geordies" from Newcastle.The 2 places are only about 15miles away from each other.Now people on Teesside - a bit further South have a different accent again.I think sometimes it's only the people from local areas that can pick up on the different accents, but they are definitely there.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
yes, I find it hard to pick out the accents in Britain, you have be from there to really hear the differences and be able to place most of them.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
General Northern accent?
Yes, I may not be local and may not know the accents extremely well but I've spoken to my husband about how he doesn't seem to speak with a stereotypical Manc accent and he agrees with this. Because I'm not British, I don't say anything about this culture unless I've approached the subject with my husband already and gotten his thoughts on it too.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 12,809 times
I am from the South Coast of England, and have a broad Southern accent.........

Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
Pretty neutral but with a hint of Midland (sort of Brummie-ish). It's only very soft though (nothing like the excuse for English some people speak in this part of the world) but I'm told it becomes more noticable when I'm talking to friends and other people from around here.

Last edited by happynoodleboycey; 08-15-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Interesting responses. Are there any West Country people here? I always kind of liked that accent too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom