Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,121,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
You didn't say there was one. You just said there were different scottish ones.

Like here in America, we have different accents, but the "midwestern" accent is considered the standard "American accent". You hear it on TV broadcasts and it's taught in schools. I was wondering if there's a similar brand of scottish that gets the same treatment.
I know that, I do like the Midwestern accent.

I suppose the Glasgow accent gets a hard time of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,348 times
Quote:
You didn't say there was one. You just said there were different scottish ones.

Like here in America, we have different accents, but the "midwestern" accent is considered the standard "American accent". You hear it on TV broadcasts and it's taught in schools. I was wondering if there's a similar brand of scottish that gets the same treatment.

Midwestern huh? I thought the midwestern accents had a similarity to parts of Canada no? I guess the general 'British' accent that foreignors would define as the stereotypical British would be English from the south. Saying that.. after about a year in the States, I genuinley had a hard time telling a Brit from an Australian!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,490,081 times
Quote:
Originally posted by ian6479
Midwestern huh? I thought the midwestern accents had a similarity to parts of Canada no? I guess the general 'British' accent that foreignors would define as the stereotypical British would be English from the south. Saying that.. after about a year in the States, I genuinley had a hard time telling a Brit from an Australian!
Midwestern is very similar to Canadian, but I can tell a slight difference--mainly when they pronounce "ou" (it sounds like "oo"), and some pronounce their A's broadly. (In the midwest A's are flat) I've had some people mistake me for being Canadian (I'm from Michigan, just across the border)

The most common british accent I've heard is Estuary English. I associate that with being the "typical" english accent. And yes, it does sound a little like Australian.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,553,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
LOL-bet you got a few choice words from some people!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
I'm French and my English accent is very much received Pronounciation with a bit of Queen's English thrown in for good measure. I blame all my boarding schools for that ! I have been in the UK for over 20 years now ( 3 years in the US before that) but English people can never tell I am French though I feel the contempt about "speaking posh" dripping from every pore of people I meet with regional accents.

It seems an affront to them that anyone should speak with a non regional accent of any type. I am not sure why but there is more reverse snobbism about received pronounciation than the other way around in my experience anyway.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 AM

28 posts, read 70,998 times
I was born in Stockport ( just south of Manchester, for those who don't know) and grew up on the border of NW Derbyshire/NE Cheshire. Only about 15 miles SE of Manchester but another world linguistically. The town that I grew up in was in the Pennine hill's, just outside the Peak District National Park. A lot of people still use dialect. A typical greeting being ' Y'oreet, Sirree ?'

For the past 15 years I've lived and worked in Manchester and this has altered my accent somewhat. I don't tend to use dialect so much. I'll say that 'I'm goin' down the shop' rather than 'I'm gooin deawn to t'shop'. Another thing I've picked up from Manc's is the plural 'Youse' for 'You'. As in 'What are youse all doin' here ?' - this is also very common in Liverpool. Both cities saw a huge influx of Irish immigrants.

But when I get back to 'the hill's', I slip back a bit into the old accent but get called a 'Townie' by some locals. Whereas some Manc's - knowing of my hill country background - call me a 'Sheep Sh****r'.

Visting America last year was interesting. Got called Canadian or Australian. I can understand the confusion with Australian. But Canadian ? It broke the ice in conversations, though !

Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 AM

139 posts, read 315,148 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I find accents really interesting, and with the variety of British accents across the country, I thought it'd be fun to see what accent everyone has on this board.

I'm American myself, so I don't have a british accent, but look forward to reading your responses.

mackinac
I see you're from Michigan like myself. The mackinac tipped me off I'm originally from Harbor Springs, now residing in Liverpool.

I find it soo interesting how there are so many different accents in the UK considering England is roughly the size of MI!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,368,163 times
I've been away from home (North West of England) for over 16 years. My accent isn't as broad as it used to be, but I still have it. I still say a lot of things the English way like tomatoes, aluminium, schedule, route, etc.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,874,817 times
South Walian (Swansea) mixed with standard english

Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 AM

287 posts, read 1,011,167 times
Quote:
Midwestern is very similar to Canadian, but I can tell a slight difference--mainly when they pronounce "ou" (it sounds like "oo"), and some pronounce their A's broadly.
Just thought I'd mention there are some peculiar Canadian regional accents aside from French, particulary in the maritime provinces. Vaguely reminiscent of Irish/Scottish depending on the province. You Brits might find these Newfoundland examples amusing:

YouTube - the accent

YouTube - Lucky Margarine

YouTube - Oil on 'da Breastusses #1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom