Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

I've been curious and wanted to know if anyone knew the origin of the cockney accent and if people still talk that way (like seen in movies and TV shows of the past)? Got curious about this after watching a documentary which included the origins of some regional American accents and some regional accents come from certain regions of England, Scotland, and Ireland. Amazingly, these regions include the hillbilly mountain regions where their accent developed because of their isolation among mountain communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM

317 posts, read 412,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've been curious and wanted to know if anyone knew the origin of the cockney accent and if people still talk that way (like seen in movies and TV shows of the past)? Got curious about this after watching a documentary which included the origins of some regional American accents and some regional accents come from certain regions of England, Scotland, and Ireland. Amazingly, these regions include the hillbilly mountain regions where their accent developed because of their isolation among mountain communities.
Cockneys at least still talk exactly like Dick Van Dyke.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM

40 posts, read 88,097 times
Well they say that the original cockney accent is dying out - there is a new `cool' london accent amongst younger people which has a Jamaican influence apparently. The old south east accent can still be heard in Essex, Kent and surrounding areas

I don't know if this youtube video helps
EXPLORING LONDON ACCENTS & DIALECTS: BOROUGHT MARKET - YouTube

(my laptop has no sound currently!!)

haha like the Dick Van Dyke reference. Surely a new contender for `worst cockney accent in hollywood' should go to Don Cheadle in Oceans 11

Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM

40 posts, read 88,097 times
Cockney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that is quite an enlightening article.

I assume that the modern accents in the UK have developed over hundreds of years. Give the USA a few hundred more years and there will probably be a mass of peculiar regional accents!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,708 times
Go to Smithfield Market in Farringdon. Listen to the porters and the staff though, not the customers who are usually more well to do these days.

Smithfield Market Annual Christmas Eve Auction - YouTube

Henry Cooper was a porter at Smithfield market. In fact the market also has along history of producing boxers from the East End. I know one person who worked there and he didn't exactly have a real loudmouth "apples and pears" mockney accent like you hear in these films but it was definitely distinguished in the way some of these accents from Essex and Kent seem rather tame and irrtating by comparison.

UK - Smithfield Meat Market and East End Boxers

If you're in any doubt as to how tough some of these cockneys were around the East End you only have to see and hear Lenny Mclean in this clip. He hailed from Hoxton. An area unrecognisable today from the era he grew up in. He was a true cockney alright, not a man you'd want to mess with either. You don't come across this particular accent so much these days but the tiresome mockney pardody is still audible in many town centres in Herts, Surrey Kent and Essex on a Saturday night:-

Lenny Mclean - YouTube

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,509 times
Great listening to the accent again, time was in London in the 50's the accent was everywhere, remember the barrow boys calling out " get the baby orf the barra it p...ssin all over me strawberries" love it.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 PM

18,530 posts, read 18,765,230 times
we used to have a lot of Cockney barrow boy auctioneers at the Glasgow Barras. they were fun..

Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Cockneys at least still talk exactly like Dick Van Dyke.
Hollywood has a nasty habit of slaughtering accents, not just English accents. They are horrible at southern USA, Cajun, or Creole accents. I'm Cajun. Our traditional accent has been greatly diluted or softened over the decades. Some areas of Louisiana still have the traditional accents as seen on shows like Swamp People, a show about people who live in the swamp areas hunting gators when it's legal and in season.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,419 times
Greater London has two quite distinct working-class dialects besides standard middle-class southern British English.

1. Cockney (i.e. Dick van Dyke's accent) is the indigenous white working-class dialect of London. It is most often associated with the East End but is spoken all over Greater London as well as to the overspill towns in Essex, Herts, Berkshire, Surrey and Kent that Londoners have moved to over the years. It's most famous for its "rhyming slang" (my grandfather, who was born in Bethnal Green in the 1920s, was a master). It would have had its origins in the old dialects of the English southeast from where many of the original "Londoners" migrated when the city was expanding, but also with influence from the various immigrant groups that have washed over the city over the centuries (French Huguenots, E. European Jews, Irish). Despite people saying it's dying out in favour of Jafaican I'd say it's still going strong in outer London and in Essex overspill towns.

2. Jafaican (or "Multicultural London English" to give it its proper name) is a product of the era of mass immigration to London since the 1960s. It is a kind of mix of Cockney and Jamaican patois, with quite a lot of Turkish, Pakistani and other immigrant language influence thrown in. It's only really got going since the 70s or 80s and it's rare that you hear older people with the accent - but anyone who has grown up since then and went to a state school in inner London will speak with it to a greater or lesser extent, whether black, white, Turkish or any other race.

While the stereotype is that Cockney is the "white" dialect while Jafaican is the black/ethnic one - but it's not always the case. I've heard long time black Londoners with amazing Cockney accents. Likewise it's not uncommon to hear young white British people with a real Jafaican thing going on. All depends on where you grew up, who your mates are, etc.

People look down on Jafaican at the moment as it's such a new dialect - but really it's a great leveller. Wherever your parents come from and whatever they speak at home - out on the street and at school every young Londoner speaks the same.

And to say it's killed Cockney is not strictly accurate. It's true that it has displaced it from inner city areas like Hackney or Peckham - but Cockney in turn displaced rural dialects in Essex and the Home Counties.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,942 times
1. Cockney (i.e. Dick van Dyke's accent)

Dork Von Dick? Probably the most outrageous mispronunciation (founded and based on pi88-poor research) of any language anywhere in the 20th century!

"Greater London has two quite distinct working-class dialects besides standard middle-class southern British English." Effing kidding, inyer?

'Greater London has two distinct class working-class accents besides standard middle-class southern British English."

Given that white. born in Britain people are now (officially) a minority in London, where do Punjabi. Japanese, Hindustani, Chinese and about a hundred or more of other languages rate on your scale?

How many people who live and work in London were born there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom