Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times

Advertisements

For me, it means my batteries are starting to go bad. When they cross from very good to just good, they start going off/on/then off. Use battery tester to check. At east that's what I've noticed so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I have a pair of MR. Beams outside that sometimes activate for no apparent reason. I was thinking insects might be the reason, but my thinking is often flawed. I do know you need to buy top-brand batteries and keep them changed.

We have had problems with insects with our driveway sensors like this one: https://www.chamberlain.com/cwp-wire...E&gclsrc=aw.ds. You can see in the few comments that others are getting false positives. Sometimes we even had insects build a cocoon right in front of the sensor. Or sometimes spiders would build a web and catch a moth. Then we have also had them ring and ring for no reason. It could be moisture that gets into the system or just antiquated electronics that have to be reengineered.

We do have outside cameras that have a cue that comes up if they sense motion. Many times the cue on the TV screen is up and there is nothing there. The cameras, I believe, work on comparing the difference in pixels from one frame to another. Sometimes we can see moths and spiders. One thing I am not sure of is any wildlife has adapted to using out technology? Is it possible that bats have learned to trigger our outside lights so they can catch bugs? Or is it possible that even insects have found out they can turn on the light (sun) by flying close to our automatic lights?

As far as paranormal; I have yet to see any connection with ghost. How can a 'spirit' create heat that would activate one of these detectors? Many have credited ghost or spirits with sending a cold tingling down their spines; but producing heat is not on the list.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
I have the same issue, but with different brands of motion lights (5 different manufacturers). We just bought an old 2 story brick house. There is no history, no weird vibes (and I'm pretty in tune to that stuff), no nuttin'. It's a perfectly lovely home. We have have a dual-band wireless home network (2.4ghz & 5ghz bands). If that were the cause, wouldn't the lights in different rooms go on at the same time?? Every outlet I plug any of these motion light into does the same thing. They go off, and almost immediately come back on. Somtimes they'll stay off for a minute or two (or longer) and come back on with no noticeable motion. They are on most of the time. Could it be due to old wiring? FWIW, I have LED battery operated motion lights that, when placed in the same areas as the plug in lights, only come on when there is real motion. The house from where I moved is older than this house (old house, late 1800's with newer wiring; this house, 1926 with original wiring (for the most part)) and the motion lights worked as they should in that house. Some of the night lights I'm using are from the old house, some are brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABI59 View Post
I have the same issue, but with different brands of motion lights (5 different manufacturers). We just bought an old 2 story brick house. There is no history, no weird vibes (and I'm pretty in tune to that stuff), no nuttin'. It's a perfectly lovely home. We have have a dual-band wireless home network (2.4ghz & 5ghz bands). If that were the cause, wouldn't the lights in different rooms go on at the same time?? Every outlet I plug any of these motion light into does the same thing. They go off, and almost immediately come back on. Somtimes they'll stay off for a minute or two (or longer) and come back on with no noticeable motion. They are on most of the time. Could it be due to old wiring? FWIW, I have LED battery operated motion lights that, when placed in the same areas as the plug in lights, only come on when there is real motion. The house from where I moved is older than this house (old house, late 1800's with newer wiring; this house, 1926 with original wiring (for the most part)) and the motion lights worked as they should in that house. Some of the night lights I'm using are from the old house, some are brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
See if this link helps: https://georgebrazilplumbingelectric...ng-on-and-off?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
mine is in laundry room and triggers with opening and closing exterior doors. and some other times like walking by the room, even with door closed

Old 03-24-2019, 05:47 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
The little cheap white lens is made in sections like a honeycomb and is not a smooth lens. The purpose of this is to focus the received IR onto different(2) detectors inside the lens. Normally, the sensors should receive the same signal from the IR outside of the lens, but when there is movement of somthing which throws off IR radiation - like a body or moving heat from above a radiator, then each side will pick up different amounts and the signal will be different between the two IR detectors. These detectors work better from side-to-side rather than up/down movement and each motion detector has its angle of view. Ceiling ones are probably wider angle than ones designed for room alarms - thats why burglar alarm IR detectors are placed in the corner of the room (60-90 degree view?) so that nothing can get behind it. They also have a range that they are supposed to work within.

This is my understanding from playing with arduino hobby IR detectors anyway.

There are other movement detectors around which work in different ways, so there are other options such as LIDAR, RADAR, microwave, ultrasonic detectors which are sometimes more expensive and maybe better for different applications.

IR can also be reflected from shiny surfaces too so someone moving in the next room could be picked up by a detector if it is reflected IR. If you have noticed, Ghost Adventures IR camera sometimes shows Zacs reflection in a window or mirrow or shiny wall or cupboard paint.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM

239 posts, read 155,976 times
It could be temperature-related. One night, while sleeping in a motel room, in the middle of the night, the smoke detector started chirping, a painful chirp about once a minute. The motel staff took out the battery, and I went back to sleep. This prompted me to research the phenomenon. It turns out that when the battery is almost depleted, the voltage drops at night (when it gets cold), and the smoke detector chirps to let you know to put in a new battery. Perhaps the motion sensor needs new batteries? Or maybe the Chinese soldering is crap, where a circuit gets broken when temperatures drop.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:14 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, the fact that the two sensors are triggering at different times, not in tandem, rules out any possibility of anything paranormal occurring, IMO. One way to test further, would be to place them in someone else's house, and see what happens, like if you have a parent or relative or friend you could visit overnight.

But IMO, using 2 different lights is enough of a test, because they're not going off at the same time. The newer one is telling you, that the older one is not responding to motion, it's just going off randomly, as is the newer one.

edit: oh, oops--old thread. Oh well.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I recently purchased a motion sensor light from Amazon and started placing it around the house (e.g. on a bookshelf in the upstairs hallway). My girlfriend and I started to notice that the motion sensor light would trigger at random times during the evening/night. FYI, these motion lights only work in the complete darkness.

I tried to explain it rationally: it may be thick waves of heat coming from the air vents that trigger the motion. Or it may be small particles of dust that are triggering it.

However: My rationales were all debunked after we purchased a SECOND (different) motion sensor light. That second one was being triggered at random times, as well. We also placed each motion light in different spots in the house (on a window seat in the mudroom, on top of the living room bookshelves, on top of the dining room, etc.) and it continues to exhibit the random triggering behavior.

Note: once we placed both motion lights next to each other (physically), each of them would still randomly trigger [u]but at different times[/b]. In other words, Motion Light A would randomly go off, but Motion Light B would stay off.

We have a cat, but that cat is never near the motion lights when it is randomly triggered.

We live in a New England Connecticut suburb. Populated area. 1950's home. The house has no history of any deaths or unexplained activities. We've never felt any weird sensations or feelings.

For reference, here are links to the two DIFFERENT motion sensor lights from Amazon. Both are "Mr. Beams" brand and battery-operated. I searched the customer reviews and all of them are very positive. If anything, a few customers complain that it's hard to trigger their lights ().
Mr. Beams LED Stick-Anywhere Nightlight
Mr. Beams Indoor/Outdoor Motion Sensing LED Ceiling Light

I've already done some digging on Google, and it looks like Radio Frequency Interference is a possible cause. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but "RFI" seems to only affect wired garage motion sensors.

Would anyone be able to help shed any light?
I

I have a motion sensor at my gate and it goes off when the ground vibrates as soom vehicles go by. Not all the time though. It's either cheap junk or vibration.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 910 times
I have similar issues with motion activated night light, there is one outside my bedroom door that goes off, at random times, more so in the past month May 2019.
I also have a Blik camera inside in my office that was triggered this week with nothing in the image/video and no one home
And one pointing to the front door, that was triggered by something you can see the distortion in the video like a heat wave. My GF she said she can hear a voice, I only hear a plane flying by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal