Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,893 times

Advertisements

Had just got married back when i was 32 and we bought this 3 bedroom Ranch style modern house in northern Illinois . So....about 3 months into living there, I get awakened by my (then) wife at 2:30 a.m. telling me she thinks theres someone in the house cause she heard noises. So.. as the Protector of the family..i got up and checked all the doors inside and out and walked thru the house a couple times with a club in my hand. Nothing . A few more nights go by, and, my wife wakes me up again around 3 a.m. and says to me : ' Did you hear THAT ?' I said no, and she said it sounded like a round doorknob being turned then springing back into position. So, i repeated the same routine that i had done a few nights prior. Nothing. About a week went by and at around 2 a.m. we BOTH awoke at the same moment and looked at one another in surprise ; she said 'Did you hear THAT ?!' and i said Yes . It was very clear, somewhat loud, and sounded exactly like a doorknob springing back into position..only it sounded close to our bedroom and not from the exterior doors of the house which were a good 25' away. Absolutely convinced someone had just done the knob thing , I picked up the phone and called the local Police Dept. I stayed on the phone until they arrived then quietly opened the rear sliding glass door so the Police Chief and his two Deputys could come in. He told me to go back to our bedroom and stay there quietly. All 3 of them drew their Pistols and methodically canvassed the house including downstairs looking into closets along the way. After a good 15 minutes, the Chief knocked on the bedroom door and told us the house is clear with no signs of forced entry . Then they went on their way.

This doorknob noise continued off and on for the half a year that we lived there and as unnerving as it was, we just put up with waking up and going back to sleep again. It only occured in the early morning hours .

We sold the house due to THIS bad experience alone, and didnt have anything like that ever occur again . I came to be a Believer of evil forces from that experience. Anyone have that happen to them ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Had just got married back when i was 32 and we bought this 3 bedroom Ranch style modern house in northern Illinois . So....about 3 months into living there, I get awakened by my (then) wife at 2:30 a.m. telling me she thinks theres someone in the house cause she heard noises. So.. as the Protector of the family..i got up and checked all the doors inside and out and walked thru the house a couple times with a club in my hand. Nothing . A few more nights go by, and, my wife wakes me up again around 3 a.m. and says to me : ' Did you hear THAT ?' I said no, and she said it sounded like a round doorknob being turned then springing back into position. So, i repeated the same routine that i had done a few nights prior. Nothing. About a week went by and at around 2 a.m. we BOTH awoke at the same moment and looked at one another in surprise ; she said 'Did you hear THAT ?!' and i said Yes . It was very clear, somewhat loud, and sounded exactly like a doorknob springing back into position..only it sounded close to our bedroom and not from the exterior doors of the house which were a good 25' away. Absolutely convinced someone had just done the knob thing , I picked up the phone and called the local Police Dept. I stayed on the phone until they arrived then quietly opened the rear sliding glass door so the Police Chief and his two Deputys could come in. He told me to go back to our bedroom and stay there quietly. All 3 of them drew their Pistols and methodically canvassed the house including downstairs looking into closets along the way. After a good 15 minutes, the Chief knocked on the bedroom door and told us the house is clear with no signs of forced entry . Then they went on their way.

This doorknob noise continued off and on for the half a year that we lived there and as unnerving as it was, we just put up with waking up and going back to sleep again. It only occured in the early morning hours .

We sold the house due to THIS bad experience alone, and didnt have anything like that ever occur again . I came to be a Believer of evil forces from that experience. Anyone have that happen to them ????
Creepy, Though this never happened to me. You sound like in addition to the unexplained noises you felt something, Like presence of sorts. This correct?

Is there any possibility that someone was TRYING to get in but was unsuccessful? Was there any other events in addition to the noise? Electrical disturbances? Voices or whispers? Did you receive any mysterious phone calls? Anything like that.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
If it was something unseen, it is not neccisarily evil.
If it was something evil and supernatural you would really know it.
Evil entities do much more than rattle door knobs.
We had a ghost that always opened a door that could only be opened by turning a key stuck into a deadbolt lock.
He did not do anything mean or bad, just hung out enjoying the home he built and was not ready to leave just yet.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times
I agree with OwlKaMyst. Just because something like that happened that you didn't expect does not mean it is evil. It just is.

I have had enough phenomena in my life to know when it's happening, and, I can see where you'd think someone was trying to get into your house. But once you realized it wasn't going to hurt you, it may just be something that "they" routinely did. Unfortunately, I think that many of us might feel uneasy -- even if we knew it was paranormal -- to hear your house doorknob moving....the conscious mind would quickly go to the thought that someone was breaking in. So, just that might make you want to move out of there. If it were something else, say a rocker moving, then maybe you might have been more fascinated by it knowing it wouldn't hurt you and look at it in wonder realizing you are having a very unique experience.

At least you feel comfortable now and that's what's important.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:

Actually it sounds like a normal night in a haunted house to me. It sounds totally crazy to type this but I hardly bat an eye anymore when stuff like that happens at my house.

I just got used to it, and the fear went away too... as well as the "evil" assumptions.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
Quote:

why did this make you a believer of evil forces? Nothing evil appeared to have gone on. I'm sorry you were left feeling like that.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
It sounds like you had a ghost in your house. Just because it scared you doesn't mean it was evil. It didn't do anything evil, just played with doorknobs.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It sounds like you had a ghost in your house. Just because it scared you doesn't mean it was evil. It didn't do anything evil, just played with doorknobs.
I concluded that it was evil because :

1. It was a huge disturbance sometimes a few times per week which woke us up then kept us awake for some time to where our sleep was suffering and we were tired and not alert the next day.

2. It was an unwelcomed intrusion in our home when it didnt need to occur. Ergo, it was purposeful.

3. It created deep anxiety in both of us and was unnerving. Not knowing why it was occuring or by whom created displeasure in us living there.

It wasnt anything else BUT a door knob springing back into position and it was coming from the hallway leading to our bedroom . It was extremely distinctive in its sound and was not another type of noise emanating from a different source . WHen i experimented by turning the knob on the hallway closet door with my wife in the bedroom with the bedroom door closed...it was the same sound and loudness as when it occurs early in the morning.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
Dumb drivers are unwelcome merging into my lane without proper distance.
Dumb drivers cause me anxiety.
Does not make them evil....just makes them annoying.

The ghost in our house was unnerving at first, but we got used to it and it's presence became an everyday part of life and did not do anything to harm us so everything just went along as usual.

Evil entries can scratch people, leave marks and do other harmful things. I'm not saying this because it's been 'seen on TV'....this happened to a family I know. The entity targeted the children, which lead to nightmares. Any child visiting the house was either scared to death and could not explain why (but one little girl could, she could see the entity) or would become instantly unruly.

I sure could understand the doorknob noise being annoying and getting really old after too many sleepless nights. For me, I get used to noises and eventually can sleep through it. I think the worst time I had was when I have to live next to the freeway. For a month I was exhausted. But I got used to it.
I think your fear kept you awake more than the doorknob noise.
A little late now, but you could have told it, 'hey! Your fiddling with the door knob is keeping us awake and we need sleep. I would appriciate it if you would refrain from messing with the doors while we are trying to get some rest.' Could even add that they can play with door knobs as much as they want when you are not home.
They do listen and when you are polite and fully explain things rather than just telling then what to do (have to tell them why as well) they usually will do what you ask.

ETA: "2. It was an unwelcomed intrusion in our home when it didnt need to occur. Ergo, it was purposeful."
This perspective is one I have a hard time with. Not picking on your feelings about it, everyone is entitled to how they feel. But in reality, you were the intrusion. The ghost was likely there first.
It's sort of like moving into the mountains. A bear in my home defiantly unwanted, but I'd be the one intruding into the bear's space. His purpose, to find food. Perhaps your ghost was needing to communicate something and felt you would be able to help.
It was obviously successful at getting your attention.

Last edited by OwlKaMyst; 07-19-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Dumb drivers are unwelcome merging into my lane without proper distance.
Dumb drivers cause me anxiety.
Does not make them evil....just makes them annoying.

The ghost in our house was unnerving at first, but we got used to it and it's presence became an everyday part of life and did not do anything to harm us so everything just went along as usual.

Evil entries can scratch people, leave marks and do other harmful things. I'm not saying this because it's been 'seen on TV'....this happened to a family I know. The entity targeted the children, which lead to nightmares. Any child visiting the house was either scared to death and could not explain why (but one little girl could, she could see the entity) or would become instantly unruly.

I sure could understand the doorknob noise being annoying and getting really old after too many sleepless nights. For me, I get used to noises and eventually can sleep through it. I think the worst time I had was when I have to live next to the freeway. For a month I was exhausted. But I got used to it.
I think your fear kept you awake more than the doorknob noise.
A little late now, but you could have told it, 'hey! Your fiddling with the door knob is keeping us awake and we need sleep. I would appriciate it if you would refrain from messing with the doors while we are trying to get some rest.' Could even add that they can play with door knobs as much as they want when you are not home.
They do listen and when you are polite and fully explain things rather than just telling then what to do (have to tell them why as well) they usually will do what you ask.

ETA: "2. It was an unwelcomed intrusion in our home when it didnt need to occur. Ergo, it was purposeful."
This perspective is one I have a hard time with. Not picking on your feelings about it, everyone is entitled to how they feel. But in reality, you were the intrusion. The ghost was likely there first.
It's sort of like moving into the mountains. A bear in my home defiantly unwanted, but I'd be the one intruding into the bear's space. His purpose, to find food. Perhaps your ghost was needing to communicate something and felt you would be able to help.
It was obviously successful at getting your attention.
Theres a day n night difference between other physical Motorists you see cut you off in traffic versus an unseen Entity making loud distinctive noises to wake you up in early hours of the morning sometimes several times per week by leaving absolutely no traces . No, i wasnt afraid once I found out that another Human being the Cause was eliminated but I was irritated and felt indignant that an Intruder (albiet unseen) had targetted mass disruption in my house and to us. Because it was a deliberate cause affecting us adveresly , continual, uninvited, and close enough to the privacy of our own bedroom...it can be reasonably concluded that it was anything but a loving gesture on behalf of the Perpetrator. I say Perpetrator because there is no other external physical Cause that could have done the knob thing nor made the same distinct sound by fluke -- it was willed and purposeful and that makes the Cause personal by nature . There is alot we dont understand about what we call the 'paranormal' but thru logic we can make an accurate deduction that many such things have a definitive willful Cause for them occuring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal