Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 631 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just had an appeal hearing this morning regarding my base year. I filed my claim in October 2009 but they only counted the weeks I worked from April '09 to the end of their base period in June 2009.
As a result I only received 12 wks of UI.
The appeal this morning concerned itself with verifying facts such as did I receive the cut off notification. When I tried to explain that I felt an alternate method should have been used the the appeals rep just kept repeating "that is the law in NJ." I did not feel I was adequately allowed to expalin my case.
I have no earnings prior to April '09 to meet their July 2008 - June 2009 base period. This is extremely punitve to workers returning to the work place. I worked for six month in 2009 and was unfortunately let go. I promptly filed my claim as directed by the NJ UI web site. After a bit of digging I found that had I waited 8 wks before I filed, I would have been eligible for the entire 26 wk benefit and all extensions.
The NJ UI reps that I have dealt with have been less than helpful...one even told me she could give me the number for welfare!
How can this be right?!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM

22 posts, read 67,326 times
I was told the same thing. If I had waited until July, I would be entitled to the same thing however, I filed online, so I didn't know that. If I would have spoken to a live person, originally, I would have waited until January, it would have been worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment