Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM

131 posts, read 352,689 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed for quite some time now and am currently on the EB extension. I have received a phone call from my previous employer telling me I can return to work, but that they may have to lay me back off within a matter of weeks. How will this affect my unemployment benefits? Will I be able to pick back up on my extension if I am laid off again?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post
I have been unemployed for quite some time now and am currently on the EB extension. I have received a phone call from my previous employer telling me I can return to work, but that they may have to lay me back off within a matter of weeks. How will this affect my unemployment benefits? Will I be able to pick back up on my extension if I am laid off again?

Thanks for your help.
I read some posts that working P/T or returning messed things up for some. Watch it doesn't put you past any deadlines of the extensions.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,900 times
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
It would depend on how long you work and how much you earn when you return to your former employer.

At some point, you may earn enough over a certain period of time to qualify for a new claim -- but the monetary benefit may be lower. If you don't meet those requirements for a new claim, you may be able to reopen your prior claim.

It's best to check with your state's DOL or your local UI office on the requirements for a new claim versus reopening a prior claim.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
It would depend on how long you work and how much you earn when you return to your former employer.

At some point, you may earn enough over a certain period of time to qualify for a new claim -- but the monetary benefit may be lower. If you don't meet those requirements for a new claim, you may be able to reopen your prior claim.

It's best to check with your state's DOL or your local UI office on the requirements for a new claim versus reopening a prior claim.
Thanks for your help, the thing that worries me is my original benefit year ended in July of '09. and then I had to apply for a new one when that year ran out. Of course I didn't qualify for a new claim so they put me on the other extensions. I wonder if they will try to make me open a new claim since my original benefit year ended in July and then if I don't qualify for a new claim deny me the rest of the extensions that I had since it had been so long since my benefit year ran out.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,084 times
My benefit year ended April 09, I'm still on extensions from original claim. I don't see why you shouldn't just continue on extensions. Like I said, if you return to work, that's another story. After 1YEAR, you just reactivate the current claim, you do not open a new one, and do continue on extensions. You should have switched over to Tier III from EB, correct? I understood they were doing this.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Also, you might want to keep in mind that your former employer (the one that you are getting your unemployment benefits through) may report to DOL that you turned down the offer of work, if you decide not to take this temporary work.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Also, you might want to keep in mind that your former employer (the one that you are getting your unemployment benefits through) may report to DOL that you turned down the offer of work, if you decide not to take this temporary work.
You have to accept reasonable offers of employment.

Unreasonable offers are considered by most states to be:
--jobs substantially beneath your qualifications or skills and/or previous pay
--temporary or seasonal jobs that prevent you from seeking full-time permanent employment
--part-time jobs in which the pay is substantially below your previous income, but more than allows you to keep receiving UE benefits.
--accepting less or no pay and/or benefits for the same job for which you were previously paid wages and/or benefits

It almost sounds like your employer is trying to blackmail you into doing work for less money, no benefits, and probably no UE benefits later, just so they can save some money. You might remind them that they will get a higher chargeback (taxable rate) for laying you off a second time.

It is true they can report you....but you can appeal, and you can report them too. If they laid you off solely so that they could rehire you at a lower wage/benefits, they probably misrepresented the reasons for your original layoff and that has consequences.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
My benefit year ended April 09, I'm still on extensions from original claim. I don't see why you shouldn't just continue on extensions. Like I said, if you return to work, that's another story. After 1YEAR, you just reactivate the current claim, you do not open a new one, and do continue on extensions. You should have switched over to Tier III from EB, correct? I understood they were doing this.
I will be returning to work, the only question is for how long. I just worry that if I don't make enough to qualify for a new claim that they won't allow me to reopen my old claim and deny me the balance of my extensions since my original benefit year has ended.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I will be returning to work, the only question is for how long. I just worry that if I don't make enough to qualify for a new claim that they won't allow me to reopen my old claim and deny me the balance of my extensions since my original benefit year has ended.

Does anyone know what would happen in this situation? Thanks

Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Is there any chance your employer is pulling a fast one?

By that I mean they're bringing you back and then a find a reason to fire you that is performance related?

So they can get out of paying your unemployment claim any further?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment