Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 PM

22 posts, read 67,270 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Two things 1) I never received an initial letter from the state 2) Do you happen to know what the fax number is? I was told to mail it using registered mail, but I will Fax it and mail it in. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklum View Post
I am on my initial claim, and have filed no extensions.

I run out of money from this claim at the beginning of march (my claim was august 30th 2009)

The deadline for tier one is this week, February 21st. From what i am reading on the NJ DOL page, it looks like that you must exhaust all benefits before you can file for a Tier One claim. However that all extensions must be filed by February 21st in order to reach the deadline of the 28th.

So from what i am reading, it seems as though I will not be eligable for an extension? I have received no papers or anything in the mail advising anything.

from the NJ page:

Due to the February 28, 2010 expiration date of the EUC program, the last week the first EUC Tier 1 claim is February 21, 2010. EUC Tier 1 is 100% federally funded.

Claimants who exhaust their regular UI benefits must have a EUC Tier I claim filed February 21, 2010, or earlier, in order to be eligible for EUC benefits.

it also looks like i wont be getting the FAC (extra $50) even if i do get the main part of my claim extended:
The federal legislation also extended the Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) program from December 31, 2009 through February 28, 2010. Claimants who file for regular UI benefits on February 28, 2010 or later, are not eligible for the additional $25 weekly stimulus payment through the FAC program. For eligible claimants, FAC benefits are payable through September 4, 2010.
What you read on the NJ DOL website is correct.

You must exhaust your regular unemployment benefits (up to 26 weeks) no later than February 20, 2010, in order to start Tier I. February 21 is the latest date your can begin Tier I in the EUC Tier system.

If you are already in the EUC Tier system, you must exhaust your current Tier no later than February 27, 2010, in order to move to the next Tier. February 28 is the latest date you can move on to Tier II, III, or IV (assuming your state triggers Tiers II and IV).

So -- unless Congress changes these cut-off dates -- you will be ineligible for Tier I when you exhaust your regular benefits in March 2010. You may, however, qualify for New Jersey's EB, which currently has no expiration date.

In NJ, when you exhaust a level of UI benefits (i.e., when your account has a "0" balance), you are automatically reviewed for eligibility for the next level of benefits. You do not file for an extension. At the time your account is reviewed, you will receive a written determination of benefits which will advise you of any available extensions.

FAC payments are made in addition to any other UI payment you receive -- through September 4, 2010. However, you must have filed a regular UI claim dated on or before February 21, 2010, to qualify for FAC. February 21 is a cut-off date for eligibility for the FAC program -- it is not the expiration date for the program.

These statements are not "interpretations." You can confirm them on NJ's DOL website, the U.S. Department of Labor website, in the text of the legislation for the EUC Tier system, and on the website of lobbying groups such as NELP, or its Unemployed Workers group.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo222 View Post
Thanks. Two things 1) I never received an initial letter from the state 2) Do you happen to know what the fax number is? I was told to mail it using registered mail, but I will Fax it and mail it in. Thanks again.
You should have received a written determination of your initial benefits telling you how much your balance would be and on which day of the week you should report. If you don't have that, don't worry -- it just makes the appeal request more complete.

The fax number should be in the text of the denial of benefits notification you received -- where it describes your right to an appeal and the process to request one.

If it is not included there -- or in the letterhead -- they may no longer accept faxes.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM

31 posts, read 48,998 times
Hello Deogirl & all the other helpful people in this thread.

Hoping to get feedback/clarification from any of you. I am in NJ.

I am currently on Tier II and just received my LAST CHECK with the check dated for week ending 02/06/10. I am now officially on ZERO (0) remaining balance. Last week, I received one letter from the Dept. of Labor. The yellow letter/notice was a basic standard "Rights & Responsibilities" notification for Extended U. But there was no information or mention on the letter if I was eligible for Extended Tier III . Since that letter last week, never heard or received anything else from them.

The question I have is, would you know if I would be eligible for Tier III since my Tier II ended on February 6, 2010 ? ( before the February 28 cut-off).

I am aware that in NJ, the Dept of Labor automatically files an extension if a person is eligible. But since I have not heard anything other than the "Rights & Responsibilities letter" last week, I was just curious if I have a shot at Tier III & should just be patient.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,127 times
@diorgirl - thank you for confirming what i dreaded, I will not be getting an EUC, and should fax off some more resumes mach schnell. I think i will attempt to get myself down to a local Unemployment Office and see about getting the NJ EB as well.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLUS View Post
I am in NJ.

I am currently on Tier II and just received my LAST CHECK with the check dated for week ending 02/06/10. I am now officially on ZERO (0) remaining balance. Last week, I received one letter from the Dept. of Labor. The yellow letter/notice was a basic standard "Rights & Responsibilities" notification for Extended U. But there was no information or mention on the letter if I was eligible for Extended Tier III . Since that letter last week, never heard or received anything else from them.

The question I have is, would you know if I would be eligible for Tier III since my Tier II ended on February 6, 2010 ? ( before the February 28 cut-off).
Assuming you collected initial regular benefits of 26 weeks, you are eligible for the 14th week of Tier II and the 13 weeks of Tier III (these were enacted together and NJ is administering them together). These additional weeks start immediately following your exhaustion of Tier II's initial 13 weeks.

You should receive written notification shortly, but since it has been more than a week since you exhausted the 13 weeks of Tier II, you can give your local UI office a call (or visit them in person) and have them confirm your eligibility and call-in date.

The EB document you received is for information only -- which is why is does not contact any details specific to your situation.

The sequence of mailing -- after a person exhausts Tier II -- was established in NJ before Tiers III and IV were enacted. At that time, the next extension available was EB. The distribution of the document was never reprogrammed to be mailed later in the sequence of extensions.

You'll hear about EB again after you exhaust the available Tier extensions.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklum View Post
@diorgirl - thank you for confirming what i dreaded, I will not be getting an EUC, and should fax off some more resumes mach schnell. I think i will attempt to get myself down to a local Unemployment Office and see about getting the NJ EB as well.
Before you make a trip, you can read about NJ EB and High EB on the NJ DOL website: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

The reps in the local UI office won't be able to give you any specific info about your eligibility for EB until you exhaust regular benefits in March 2010; it just won't be entered into the system before then.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM

What argument should I use in my appeal? I cannot find an example on the DOL site, to plug in my numbers to. I understand that my case should have been judged using an alternative method, but it there a list of alternative methods that are used? I just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,491,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo222 View Post
What argument should I use in my appeal? I cannot find an example on the DOL site, to plug in my numbers to. I understand that my case should have been judged using an alternative method, but it there a list of alternative methods that are used? I just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks
Appeal Rights Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Appeal Rights

Refer to your your little blue "Unemployment Insurance: Your Rights and Responsibilities" booklet or view the PDF file for an explanation of base year and alternate base year periods. http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/for...s/ui/PR-94.pdf

Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM

I mailed out and faxed my appeal letter. I also called the office in Trenton to see if they got the fax and was transferred to a nice guy, but he wasn't in that department. He told me that he was going to send out my initial letter outlining the benefits and all I had to do was cancel that claim and say that I want it filed in January of 2010. He said that that will circumvent the hearing and will be a lot quicker. Any thoughts? THanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment