Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,495,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
you never cease to surprise me with your attitude. Someday reality will bite you too.
I don't understand this statement.

I do not like the idea of pulling credit reports on a potential applicant one bit. However, I think there is a message in bad credit. Mine used to be very good and it's slipped. Not surprisingly enough, so has my life. I'd like to not have this held against me, but it is what it is. Near as I can tell, the only thing out there on me is one unpaid Dr's visit, and it's out there and the facility dropped the ball and didn't get the authorization in on the right date. I thought I'd cleared things up via correspondence, but I guess not.

Now, about the social media sites, I do agree with Annerk. I too would check someone out, but then I'd be smarter than to have anything incriminating against me out there to check, even if there were things incriminating. I certainly would not advertise them. I wouldn't want to hire anyone stupid enough to do so either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,354,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post

I do not like the idea of pulling credit reports on a potential applicant one bit. However, I think there is a message in bad credit. Mine used to be very good and it's slipped. Not surprisingly enough, so has my life. I'd like to not have this held against me, but it is what it is. Near as I can tell, the only thing out there on me is one unpaid Dr's visit, and it's out there and the facility dropped the ball and didn't get the authorization in on the right date. I thought I'd cleared things up via correspondence, but I guess not.

Now, about the social media sites, I do agree with Annerk. I too would check someone out, but then I'd be smarter than to have anything incriminating against me out there to check, even if there were things incriminating. I certainly would not advertise them. I wouldn't want to hire anyone stupid enough to do so either.
A single unpaid doctor visit isn't going to keep you from getting a job, even if it requires bonding.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,495,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A single unpaid doctor visit isn't going to keep you from getting a job, even if it requires bonding.
The visit is from 2003 so it should be gone or soon to be gone. I'm not really worried about it. I still think that it's going too far to pull reports on people who are not in positions handling cash, etc. I once had my credit report pulled for a one month temp job opening mail, etc. I wasn't happy about it, but I gave them permission.

I don't do MySpace or anything like that. Internet forums where I remain anonymous are enough for me.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
The visit is from 2003 so it should be gone or soon to be gone. I'm not really worried about it. I still think that it's going too far to pull reports on people who are not in positions handling cash, etc. I once had my credit report pulled for a one month temp job opening mail, etc. I wasn't happy about it, but I gave them permission.

I don't do MySpace or anything like that. Internet forums where I remain anonymous are enough for me.
I agree that there's no reason to pull credit on all potential employees, just the ones handling cash, or that have access to the checkbook, or are handling very valuable merchandise like fine jewelry, etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,252,407 times
Me too.
I am very findable online with my real name because of my expertise in a certain area, and luckily realised this in the early days of teh interwebs.

I dislike social networking sites, don't post or use my "real" phone number or email address anywhere - or if I do am very careful about where. As a result my name, phone number and email address remain fairly anonymous. Not because I'm up to anything nefarious - I'm not - but it simply seems like common sense.

If you want to see what others see, google your name/location, phone number or regular email address.

Quote:

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,660,114 times
So many people just do not think when they are looking for jobs.

When I was a recruiter, I was AMAZED at the type of emails people would use as a contact on their resumes. I am talking about things like, hotnready@blah blah blah.com, etc.

I remember calling up people and they would use songs as ringtones or they would have some club music or rap music as their background music while saying things like Hey Boo-- I am not here. But if you leave your digits blah blah blah.

People with the bad emails and the awful nonprofessional voicemail messages tended to go into the bottom of the applicant stack. I figured if they were so clueless to leave unprofessional contact information god knows how they would show up to an interview with the client.

It reminds me of recently a bunch of folks were hired for our call center for one of the big annual increases in call volume. They had to actually show pictures to the training classes about what constitutes "professional attire." Apparently some people thought club gear with stripper heels and boots was appropriate in the workplace. Blows my mind.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,234,990 times
Quote:

wasn't talking to you so don't worry about it

Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post

When I was a recruiter, I was AMAZED at the type of emails people would use as a contact on their resumes. I am talking about things like, hotnready@blah blah blah.com, etc.
Wow, you must have been working for the same company I was. I especially loved the e-mail addresses with drug references when we were very adamant about being a drug free workplace that tests in our ads.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,660,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wow, you must have been working for the same company I was. I especially loved the e-mail addresses with drug references when we were very adamant about being a drug free workplace that tests in our ads.
*laughs*

It also amazed me because when I recruited-- I never did lower level positions (telecom industry = engineers, network techs, management, executive management). So it was always more surprising that people who were going for jobs paying in 98-2000 for over 60k would be clueless about what is considered professional.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,795,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post

I remember calling up people and they would use songs as ringtones or they would have some club music or rap music as their background music while saying things like Hey Boo-- I am not here. But if you leave your digits blah blah blah.

People with the bad emails and the awful nonprofessional voicemail messages tended to go into the bottom of the applicant stack. I figured if they were so clueless to leave unprofessional contact information god knows how they would show up to an interview with the client.

It reminds me of recently a bunch of folks were hired for our call center for one of the big annual increases in call volume. They had to actually show pictures to the training classes about what constitutes "professional attire." Apparently some people thought club gear with stripper heels and boots was appropriate in the workplace. Blows my mind.
You must work for the pickiest call center in the U.S. They don't have much of a dress code because it's a call center, as in, the customers never ever see the employees.

Having employees who can be pleasant over the phone and knowledgeable would be great; who cares if they're naked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment