Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,392,597 times

Advertisements

Well I have been unemployed for over a year now and I'm sure my credit report sucks big time. Prior to that I was struggling with medical bills due to my crappy insurance not covering much of anything (BCBS).

So does that mean I can't get a job now. There is no more blood left in my turnip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,203,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Well I have been unemployed for over a year now and I'm sure my credit report sucks big time. Prior to that I was struggling with medical bills due to my crappy insurance not covering much of anything (BCBS).

So does that mean I can't get a job now. There is no more blood left in my turnip.
No, it means you have a more difficult time getting a cash handling position or any job where you need to be bonded.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,208,589 times
According to this link, frequent inquiries and checks on someone's credit score can lower the overall score. If that's the c ase, could someone who is applying for a lot of jobs be hurt by this?

FWIW, anecdotes aside, I am against the practice of using credit scores unless perhaps for a job handling finances and such. Unless there's some really solid evidence that there's a direct correlation between credit scores and competence or honesty - is there? A similar issue has been debated over the practice of using credit scores as one criterion in setting someone's auto insurance premiums and I don't think there's a correlation there either.

Edit to add - duh, sorry, I should have read the very link I posted!
"But the only inquiries that count toward your FICO score are the ones that result from your applications for new credit."
Sorry.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
According to this link, frequent inquiries and checks on someone's credit score can lower the overall score. If that's the c ase, could someone who is applying for a lot of jobs be hurt by this?
No, there is a difference between a pre-employment pull and a pull in order to extend credit. A pre-employment or pre-screen pull has no effect at all.

Quote:
FWIW, anecdotes aside, I am against the practice of using credit scores unless perhaps for a job handling finances and such. Unless there's some really solid evidence that there's a direct correlation between credit scores and competence or honesty - is there? A similar issue has been debated over the practice of using credit scores as one criterion in setting someone's auto insurance premiums and I don't think there's a correlation there either.
The reason behind using credit scores for insurance purposes is that insurers feel that someone who handles ALL of their personal affairs in a responsible manner will also be a more responsible driver.

In the case of home owners, someone with cash flow problems is going to be far more likely to stage a burglary or set fire to tehir own hosue to colelct the insurance. There have been a number of arsons in this area this year that were found to be insurance fraud because the people couldn'ta fford the mrotgage and couldn't sell the house.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM

295 posts, read 1,181,419 times
"The reason behind using credit scores for insurance purposes is that insurers feel that someone who handles ALL of their personal affairs in a responsible manner will also be a more responsible driver. "

Personally - I think this is crap! My credit is not that great and I am a damn good driver. I have not had an accident in over 20 years (and that one was not my fault - guy ran a stop sign and hit me)and one ticket in the last 10 years (prior to that, it had been over 10 years since my only other ticket from when I was a teenager). So, I'm sorry - there goes the theory that bad credit makes everayone a bad driver.

I can understand checking credit if the person is going to be in a position to handle money or other sensitive information.

But for other positions, I am against using credit to judge a person's character. Just because a person has bad credit - it does not automatically mean that they are a bad person. To discount someone from a job without even talking to them because of a credit report is just plain dumb.

Sorry - off my soapbox now.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,821,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This is crazy.

The majority of families who are out of work for 8 months are going to see their credit scores suffer. Going from taking home $4,800 a month to $1,340 means something has to give and people still have to eat.

I think the concept is also bogus.

I've seen three people involved in serious company/church theft over the years and they were all solid middle class. Two worked for contractors and set up a bogus invoice scheme. Took one guy for $250k before he noticed... duh? She didn't do it to survive she jut wanted to live better.

The church lady was at it for 20 years. Responsible for counting the money she took for herself every $20 bill ever put in the plate. An investigation (this one was prosecuted) was conducted and nobody could figure out why she did it they weren't hurting at all.
Exactly.
At the same time, I'm all for people not living beyond their means and saving up for a rainy day. Of course with this unemployment rate, people probably would have needed to save up quite a bit of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I saw it happen. Two years ago, guy got divorced. He had worked for the company for five years, great guy. All of a sudden he couldn't pay his bills, and four months later an internal investigation found that he had beens tealing since about the time he and his wife seperated. He was fired and prosecuted for almost $8K in theft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post

But for other positions, I am against using credit to judge a person's character. Just because a person has bad credit - it does not automatically mean that they are a bad person. To discount someone from a job without even talking to them because of a credit report is just plain dumb.

Sorry - off my soapbox now.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,208,589 times
Quote:
No, there is a difference between a pre-employment pull and a pull in order to extend credit. A pre-employment or pre-screen pull has no effect at all.
Yes, I re-read the link I posted and you are correct.

Quote:
The reason behind using credit scores for insurance purposes is that insurers feel that someone who handles ALL of their personal affairs in a responsible manner will also be a more responsible driver.
Sure, but who cares what insurers feel? I'm curious about actual data, not feelings and anecdotes. And to keep it OT, as related to employment, not driving and homeowners policies and such.

Not arguing so much as genuinely curious if there is actual, reliable data that not only correlates FICO sores to job performance, but shows causation.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 75,170 times
LOSE JOB = BAD CREDIT
BAD CREDIT = NO JOB
NO JOB = PERPETUALLY BAD CREDIT

which equals unemployable.

solution to this catch 22 : don't overextend yourself so that you are in the situation where you will be defaulting on your debts

Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yes, I re-read the link I posted and you are correct.

Sure, but who cares what insurers feel? I'm curious about actual data, not feelings and anecdotes. And to keep it OT, as related to employment, not driving and homeowners policies and such.

Not arguing so much as genuinely curious if there is actual, reliable data that not only correlates FICO sores to job performance, but shows causation.
It's not FICO scores that are pulled with pre-employment credit checks.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker34 View Post
LOSE JOB = BAD CREDIT
BAD CREDIT = NO JOB
NO JOB = PERPETUALLY BAD CREDIT

which equals unemployable.

solution to this catch 22 : don't overextend yourself so that you are in the situation where you will be defaulting on your debts
Your credit won't suffer if you don't use the card, but it will suffer if you don't pay it.

Solution, don't charge anything you can't pay cash for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment