Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,258,321 times

Advertisements

Credit history then. But same question applies. Reliable data? Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's not FICO scores that are pulled with pre-employment credit checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,421,988 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker34
LOSE JOB = BAD CREDIT
BAD CREDIT = NO JOB
NO JOB = PERPETUALLY BAD CREDIT

which equals unemployable.

solution to this catch 22 : don't overextend yourself so that you are in the situation where you will be defaulting on your debts

Your credit won't suffer if you don't use the card, but it will suffer if you don't pay it.

Solution, don't charge anything you can't pay cash for.
The only major debt I had was a small mortgage until I got sick and became overwhelmed by medical bills...I don't have credit cards and haven't for over 30 years. Sooo now because I'm living on 269 a week and barely making it and can't pay on my med bills even though I called each and everyone of them when I lost my job to explain that until I was working again I couldn't pay on them...

So because of a major health issue that has since been resolved and I'll be paying for it until I die...I can't get a job????

I've been applying for Admin Jobs some that require bookkeeping skills or computer skills. I'm qualified for them all based on the job specs but have yet to even get an interview. The only jobs in my area are either thru one of the local counties/towns or schools like UGA. I do know that my resume has made it out of HR in several instances but I have yet to be called for an interview. So what your telling me is that because of a crappy credit score due to un-forseen health issues I won't be getting a job? Some how that just doesn't seem right.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 75,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
The only major debt I had was a small mortgage until I got sick and became overwhelmed by medical bills...I don't have credit cards and haven't for over 30 years. Sooo now because I'm living on 269 a week and barely making it and can't pay on my med bills even though I called each and everyone of them when I lost my job to explain that until I was working again I couldn't pay on them...

So because of a major health issue that has since been resolved and I'll be paying for it until I die...I can't get a job????

I've been applying for Admin Jobs some that require bookkeeping skills or computer skills. I'm qualified for them all based on the job specs but have yet to even get an interview. The only jobs in my area are either thru one of the local counties/towns or schools like UGA. I do know that my resume has made it out of HR in several instances but I have yet to be called for an interview. So what your telling me is that because of a crappy credit score due to un-forseen health issues I won't be getting a job? Some how that just doesn't seem right.
Is it right? No

Is that the way the world works? Yes

sorry to burst your bubble, a good credit record makes a hell of a difference in life.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,374,057 times
Quote:

Go back and read what I've written. Of course a crappy credit score won't keep you from working. It might keep you out of many cash handling and bookkeeping/accounting jobs. Generally speaking an admin doesn't handle bookkeeping or cash, so it's doubtful that you aren't getting those jobs because of your credit, but rather because someone else is just that much more qualified than you are.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,796,784 times
Quote:
Go back and read what I've written. Of course a crappy credit score won't keep you from working. It might keep you out of many cash handling and bookkeeping/accounting jobs. Generally speaking an admin doesn't handle bookkeeping or cash, so it's doubtful that you aren't getting those jobs because of your credit, but rather because someone else is just that much more qualified than you are.

No, go back and read my post. I am a gardener. I do not handle cash. I do not enter people's homes. I dig and mow and weed.

So these old medical bills on my credit report are relevant to my reliability and competence in what way??

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,731,665 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you can't pull a credit report without a ss # and they ussually don't do that until after interviews.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:36 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,421,988 times
Quote:
sorry to burst your bubble, a good credit record makes a hell of a difference in life.
I did have a great credit record until I got sick. Quite frankly it should be illegal to look at someones credit history unless you are going to be bonded.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can't pull a credit report without a ss # and they ussually don't do that until after interviews.
The jobs I've been applying for are with city/county and schools as they are the only opening in my area right now and they make you fill out an application besides sending in a resume so they already have my SS# before I'm interviewed. I do know that Athens-Clarke Co. does a criminal background check BEFORE your resume is sent to the department head a guy in HR told me.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,796,859 times
Quote:
I saw it happen. Two years ago, guy got divorced. He had worked for the company for five years, great guy. All of a sudden he couldn't pay his bills, and four months later an internal investigation found that he had beens tealing since about the time he and his wife seperated. He was fired and prosecuted for almost $8K in theft.
What does that have to do with a credit report? A credit report doesn't have a statement to the effect of "this person was married to a greedy wife with a crooked lawyer". The bad credit is just a by-product of divorce. He probably would have stolen from you anyway. People don't turn into thieves because they get divorced and I resent that implication (as do the one half of people who get married).

The solution to that issue is to not hire anyone who is married, and if an employee does get married, fire him. Marital status is not a protected class.

I'm not being facetious... the #1 cause of divorce is money (that was the case with me). If you're not married, that ceases to be an issue.

Now, that will significantly cut down on the number of eligible applicants, but in this economy, you can get away with it unless the job is very specialized. Seriously, married people are a risk.

I never stole from my employer when I got divorced, but my credit score crashed from 750-something to 450 in a year. I've worked on getting it up to 645. That proves that I am a responsible person, not because my credit score has dropped from 750 to 645, but that my credit score has increased from 450 to 645.

My ex-wife, on the other hand, has a credit score of 350. I wouldn't hire her to work at McDonald's. They have cash and bacon that is just too easy to steal.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,258,321 times
Quote:
Quite frankly it should be illegal to look at someones credit history unless you are going to be bonded.
I agree with this. One's prior work history is what is relevant. Along with vague intangibles like likeability - which is fine. Credit history should really be in the "vague intangible" category. There are way too many variables and permutations with credit histories.

I am still waiting for Annerk to provide me with reliable, empirical data about a correlation between credit history and job performance. There isn't any. "Feelings" and anecdotes are really irrelevant in a rational discussion.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,881,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This is crazy.

The majority of families who are out of work for 8 months are going to see their credit scores suffer. Going from taking home $4,800 a month to $1,340 means something has to give and people still have to eat.

I think the concept is also bogus.

I've seen three people involved in serious company/church theft over the years and they were all solid middle class. Two worked for contractors and set up a bogus invoice scheme. Took one guy for $250k before he noticed... duh? She didn't do it to survive she jut wanted to live better.

The church lady was at it for 20 years. Responsible for counting the money she took for herself every $20 bill ever put in the plate. An investigation (this one was prosecuted) was conducted and nobody could figure out why she did it they weren't hurting at all.
Totally agree. Plus, with the amount some states are paying for unemployment, there is no way a family of four would be able to survive. I only make $240 a week in Arizona and I have no idea how families can survive on that. Another poster said that they only bring $269 in Georgia. Honestly, just how do potential employers expect us to be able to survive when unemployment checks are this low.

I do consider myself lucky that I have savings that I am living off. Although my savings won't last forever because I can't save much with that low unemployment.

Middle,upper, and even rich people steal things. I don't know why they think a person's credit report predicts a job performance when the person has been struggling on unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment