Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 AM

29 posts, read 31,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yes, where that last fatal wreck occurred, you could see in the accident video, they are currently adding a passing lane. The toll authority had decided months ago to add several more passing lanes. Of course there is, or are, no state funds to add the needed two lanes to make it 4 lanes.

More than a year ago, an article stated there were more than 30,000 DAILY, yep. daily "transactions" on the almost 25 mile long toll road. A transaction of course, is anytime someone gets on, even for just to get off at the next, exit two miles away, that is considered a transaction. The 30,000 cars per day plateau was not anticipated, expected, for many years further "out". I bought a toll tag, used the $20 on the tag, and decided it did not help "me" enough. But with all the fatal wrecks I would not have used it anyway.

Just, maybe, when shortly, they complete the section around Lindale, and finish adding the passing lanes, I may, use the 49 again. I'm sorry some have had all the billing problems. Surely they WILL, get that "fixed". We hope.

And should be without stating, I "feel" for all the families affected by the many accidents. The last one was really tough as well, the young family of four, and I not certain the conditions of the survivors, but you know this will be a life time scar.
I personally haven't had any issues with 49 overall. That said, I don't find it has much value for me unless I am going to/from Dallas where it will shave off almost 20 minutes each direction. As far as billing goes, I have a TxTag, and haven't had any issues there either.

As to the safety aspect, I find 49 no different than an other road. Drivers that are paying attention to the job they have to do, do it fairly well. But too many times I have been behind "that" vehicle that cannot maintain speed or lane position. You can see them fiddling around on their phone plain as day. Add to that the fact that many drivers that choose 49 do so often for time reasons, meaning they are in a hurry and/or impatient. This is a recipe for disaster, as has been evidenced too many times. Unfortunately, this recipe is not limited to 49 in particular. I see this on all of our roads, and among a wide variety of drivers.

I do take issue with claims that it is the "road's fault", as if somehow the drivers don't have an active role in their own safety. Sure, we could give up even more of our income in the form of tax dollars so that various devices and techniques could be employed, but that will not ultimately stop "that" driver from doing "that" behavior. Somewhere along the line, it seems that our overall society has lost sight of personal responsibility, and there simply isn't enough of a deterrent to dissuade people from the "bad behavior".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPerry View Post
I personally haven't had any issues with 49 overall. That said, I don't find it has much value for me unless I am going to/from Dallas where it will shave off almost 20 minutes each direction. As far as billing goes, I have a TxTag, and haven't had any issues there either.

As to the safety aspect, I find 49 no different than an other road. Drivers that are paying attention to the job they have to do, do it fairly well. But too many times I have been behind "that" vehicle that cannot maintain speed or lane position. You can see them fiddling around on their phone plain as day. Add to that the fact that many drivers that choose 49 do so often for time reasons, meaning they are in a hurry and/or impatient. This is a recipe for disaster, as has been evidenced too many times. Unfortunately, this recipe is not limited to 49 in particular. I see this on all of our roads, and among a wide variety of drivers.

I do take issue with claims that it is the "road's fault", as if somehow the drivers don't have an active role in their own safety. Sure, we could give up even more of our income in the form of tax dollars so that various devices and techniques could be employed, but that will not ultimately stop "that" driver from doing "that" behavior. Somewhere along the line, it seems that our overall society has lost sight of personal responsibility, and there simply isn't enough of a deterrent to dissuade people from the "bad behavior".
Yes, I haven't read any of the given "reasons" for many of these head on collisions, 5 or 6 that I am aware of, or at least that many fatal wrecks, but I too would "guess" it might often have to do with excess speed, trying to "save" time, by added risky driving, and the added modern day distractions of cell phone use, and the ever so deadly "texting".

The passing lanes being added may help, but I would think that driver responsibility or lack there of, is the greater problem. I too, fortunately have not had any billing problems, mix-up frustrations, but I have no doubts as to others having troubles.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 PM

566 posts, read 390,766 times
If you go to Times Square Cinema facebook page, you can see a picture of the new family entertainment place called Grand Slam.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM

EXCLUSIVE: First look at new Times Square Entertainment Center | CBS19.tv

Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM

Different:

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Urban Air Trampoline & Adventure Park coming to Tyler in 2018

Old 09-08-2017, 09:45 PM

Tyler Morning Telegraph - At Chopstix, East meets West with a kick

Old 09-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Was going north on South Broadway about 3:30 PM noticed Buck's Original Shaved Ice Company, and stopped for a fantastic but way to sweet, Cherry Colada. Buck's is in now in with a "strip" of restaurants: Just South, Cheadar's, then Buck's then, I
think this was next, going North, Mikoto Ramen, Japanese, they are waiting for liquor license, looked them up on-line found Houston location, looks very nice, another Salsarita's, then Palico's Pasta, Pizza, Salad, open, large place, extensive menu, took menu, I will be back, bar, large patio, all these places have outside patios, then next was https://walk-ons.com/ Walk-On, looks like a "Hot" sports bar - to be, looks like they were taking applications, saw, people going in and out with paperwork, then there was Burger Grind, I think, then Grande. About

Anyway, since there isn't any other "NEWS" at all I could find, this to me was interesting. A couple of these places look like they ARE different "to" or "in" Tyler. Maybe, missed a place, at least 7 in a row.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Mikoto Ramen, Japanese, they are waiting for liquor license, looked them up on-line found Houston location, looks very nice,
they're opening here in tyler? where exactly? your location was VERY vague.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 PM

Oh, sorry, do you know where Walmart is and has been on South Broadway, for years?

As you are going"down" South Broadway, from THE "Loop," means LOOP 323, a couple of miles, you cross Grande, major intersection, starting at THAT interesection, on the right, the West side of Broadway, you start with the Burger Grind, and a strip of restaurants, one after the other, ON your right. It's the third or fourth building, I think, I made this as clear as "mud".

Sorry, I made this too simple then too complicated. I'm just so familiar with Tyler, I forget ,maybe, most aren't people aren't THAT familiar with Tyler

I googled this restaurant on line, the only one I saw listed was on Memorial, a upscale part of Houston. However, they appear to be ready to open, sign on door said "waiting for liquor license".

Good luck !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler