Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 09:39 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
The Gander R.V. Sales just down the road within a half-mile of this will cause real competition, unless, the two don't sell similar R.V. types.

I predict, just IMHO, one will close. Not that much market, IMHO, Tyler already has Tyler R.V. not far away on the Northeast Loop. Now, THREE, oh, not counting the 4th, Gander Outdoors next to The Shops at Cumberland Road, you know, what most people call a "mall" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM

566 posts, read 391,391 times
It's Camping World on 69 north. Not Gander.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It's Camping World on 69 north. Not Gander.
I hesitated, actually too lazy to look up the real names of the two places, oh, now I remember, Camping World bought both sites, Southern R.V, where Camping World is now, and Gander Mountain, I said at that time, TWO camping world locations, no name change to Gander Outdoors. Notice all the R.V.'s at G.O.?

My point was more competition in the R.V. world and one likely will leave, IMHO, the experience of watching this all, closely for 30 years, is speaking, sure I can be wrong, lol. Just like someone, said one time:

I almost NEVER go back on my word SOMETIMES?

But you are right to point this out, I get upset, sometimes, lol, with people on here who make WILD statements, we are supposed to believe are facted-based statements, or factual.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:55 PM

41 posts, read 76,808 times
It would really be kind if those of you that post links to news articles would at least add a word or two about what the article is about such as "new hotel" or "restaurant closing". As it is now one must click on the link and, at least for me, nine times out of ten I have already read the article where it appeared originally. Rant over.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 AM

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/new...orange-routes/

Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 AM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/pr...546131931.html

Old 08-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Agree 150% to this comment in the paper to the above article.

Shane Jones
Thank GOD, literary, thank ---, that the mayor FINALLY sees the needs to raise the property taxes by a meager amount, at least, to provide SERVICES this city needs. The new law by the state finally woke up the mayor to the need, to hurry up and raise the taxes a meager amount before the state shuts, THIS city with ONE of the lowest not THE lowest city property tax rate in the state down to a very low allowable tax increase, that is, without a city-wide election needed to raise the property tax rate above the 3 1/2 percent, the restriction was 10%. This darn mayor should have SEEN the attempts made in Austin in the last 4 years to lower the rate to 3 1/2, thus Tyler SHOULD have been raising the rate years before now. PLAN, this mayor is horrible, the council just follows him as well.

Also, did you know the city spent 200,000 each of the last two bi-annual legislatures to fight this lower the allowing increase? Mayor KNEW it could hurt Tyler, like no other city in the state, somehow, the city thought fighting this, by spending 400,000 dollars would help. Give me a break. Most cities can not operate LONG on Tyler rate, which Tyler is learning the hard way. Most cities need at least .45 tax rate. Most cities have around a .60 tax rate. So even .45 would have been an outstanding rate. Could have saved millions along the way for past needed expenditures for capital infrastructure, and other needs now are required of the city by state and federal officials, such as sewer and water updates, ALL over the city.

My 2 1/2 cents worth, at least by the new state law, the city can increase the city tax rate next year way up to .267, less than a WHOLE penny. lol
Like · Reply · 11m

Old 08-14-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Agree 150% to this comment in the paper to the above article.

Shane Jones
Thank GOD, literary, thank ---, that the mayor FINALLY sees the needs to raise the property taxes by a meager amount, at least, to provide SERVICES this city needs. The new law by the state finally woke up the mayor to the need, to hurry up and raise the taxes a meager amount before the state shuts, THIS city with ONE of the lowest not THE lowest city property tax rate in the state down to a very low allowable tax increase, that is, without a city-wide election needed to raise the property tax rate above the 3 1/2 percent, the restriction was 10%. This darn mayor should have SEEN the attempts made in Austin in the last 4 years to lower the rate to 3 1/2, thus Tyler SHOULD have been raising the rate years before now. PLAN, this mayor is horrible, the council just follows him as well.

Also, did you know the city spent 200,000 each of the last two bi-annual legislatures to fight this lower the allowing increase? Mayor KNEW it could hurt Tyler, like no other city in the state, somehow, the city thought fighting this, by spending 400,000 dollars would help. Give me a break. Most cities can not operate LONG on Tyler rate, which Tyler is learning the hard way. Most cities need at least .45 tax rate. Most cities have around a .60 tax rate. So even .45 would have been an outstanding rate. Could have saved millions along the way for past needed expenditures for capital infrastructure, and other needs now are required of the city by state and federal officials, such as sewer and water updates, ALL over the city.

My 2 1/2 cents worth, at least by the new state law, the city can increase the city tax rate next year way up to .267, less than a WHOLE penny. lol
Like · Reply · 11m
I just checked the Tyler paper on-line for updated topics and noticed the city newspaper editor sensors, removed the comment from Shane, about the tax increase from what they have online now. Yep, the truth is sometimes not very flattering. Especially all the painful factual parts about the city wasting $400,000 dollars to have a lobbying firm to persuade the legislature to not HURT or punish the city of Tyler for having such a low property rate, by restricting Tyler to the 3 1/2 percent maximum annual increase in a property tax increase. I hope everyone can see how Tyler is hurt far worse off than almost all cities. Tyler did see this coming but, really, you think if you just spend $400,000 for a lobby the state would exempt Tyler, or at least let Tyler raise it's property tax 10 to 15% to equal the 3 1/2% restriction for the rest of the state, common, how naive can can these LEADERS be, mainly the mayor. This cost citizens in the city $400,000 of your tax money. I will see if I can google and find support for this $400,000 spending for a lobbyist. The reason I remember it so well was, I was shocked to read such nonsense.

Surprisingly easy to search the Tyler Paper, using their "search" just put City of Tyler lobbying - BINGO thar she iz, lol

This report refers to the second to $200,000 paid, there were to be two legislative lobbying efforts, one was last bi-annual last time $200,000 wasted then, ok, this time, just $200,000 reported.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ty...c8c6c9433.html

Sorry leadership by this mayor, I have to look it up later and see if he will be running again, he won't get my vote, you think? Other reasons as well, I've watched him on cable channel 2, wow, this man?

Last edited by Mark Senior; 08-14-2019 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 AM

29 posts, read 31,160 times
Quote:
I have a completely different viewpoint of how taxes should work, and I for one don't believe that the way to go is by increasing the tax rate. Here's why.

First, any actual and direct service (trash, water, etc) run by the government should be run like a business. The people who need it pay for it completely. Therefore, no tax dollars should be required for these services in any way, shape or form. Tax dollars should be used exclusively for infrastructure and non-direct services (police, fire, etc).

Second, as property values increase, the collection of tax *dollars* increases automatically. So not only are they already taking more dollars, but when they increase the rates, they are taking a bigger slice of that pie.

Governments, at all levels, need to learn how to spend within their means just like the people that they take their money from. Of course, this also requires the people to stop asking the government to do for them what they can (and should) do for themselves. It is a two-way street.

I don't believe that the majority of the people need the government as much as the government needs the people, but I also believe that those people that don't need the government are silent and invisible, while those that do expect/depend on government services are vocal and visible.

Just my two cents in a different direction...

Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPerry View Post
I have a completely different viewpoint of how taxes should work, and I for one don't believe that the way to go is by increasing the tax rate. Here's why.

First, any actual and direct service (trash, water, etc) run by the government should be run like a business. The people who need it pay for it completely. Therefore, no tax dollars should be required for these services in any way, shape or form. Tax dollars should be used exclusively for infrastructure and non-direct services (police, fire, etc).

Second, as property values increase, the collection of tax *dollars* increases automatically. So not only are they already taking more dollars, but when they increase the rates, they are taking a bigger slice of that pie.

Governments, at all levels, need to learn how to spend within their means just like the people that they take their money from. Of course, this also requires the people to stop asking the government to do for them what they can (and should) do for themselves. It is a two-way street.

I don't believe that the majority of the people need the government as much as the government needs the people, but I also believe that those people that don't need the government are silent and invisible, while those that do expect/depend on government services are vocal and visible.

Just my two cents in a different direction...
The services are just provided this way, in most cities I've ever of heard of, not saying they SHOULD be provided by city thru taxes. Laws or policies would need to be changed, don't know if both or one or the other would have to be changed with citizen vote.

Now, for me, the rest of your post would be directed at most other cities in Texas like, Longview, Whitehouse, among others who have a 200 to 300 percent HIGHER city tax rate than Tyler, that's two to three times as high as Tyler. As you've read my many posts on this, Tyler almost cut back WAY too low, to provide even the infrastructure updates needed.

Now, with this increase the largest in years, which is still very small compared to most cities, the city is just trying to catch up with this increase before the new law, restricts TYLER to just one cent or less increase each year, that is without a taxpayer approved increase. If an election were held, each city official in favor of a tax increase would be "tarred and feathered" by the voters, lol.

If you followed the last 8 years, Tyler, cut back, cut back, froze positions, the city manager was so efficient in his job, he was hired as assistant city manager, in DALLAS, wow, Tyler to Dallas, Tyler got statewide attention because of their efficiently run city, that even Fort Worth had the then Mark McDaniels, city manager as one of the four finalists for THE city manager of big Fort Worth, F.W. hired no-one out of the four, started the process over.

Just repeating, all of what you say, for the most part, should be directed toward most cities in Texas, many cities just raised the city tax rate by up to 10% maximum allowed EACH year, because the state law allowed, now the new law of a maximum of just 3 1/2% is imposed on all cities, Tyler included. Tyler spent, unwisely on this one, $200,000 to $400,000 fighting this new law because Tyler would be hurt, restricted more, than almost any city in Texas with Tyler having the LOWEST city property tax rate of any town over 18,000 population, understand, Tyler will only be allowed a penny increase, where other cities can raise their rates, some 3 or 4 cents three or four times as much as Tyler. This $400,000 was wasted because Tyler officials should have realized they would lose this battle, being just one smaller town, therefore, little to no clout in Austin.

Yes, you are so true about those that expect/depend on the government ARE, to me, vocal and very visible, i.e. federal government and politics. This is where I see the huge abuse you refer too. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler