Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 09:30 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,562,939 times

Advertisements

Very disappointed! I was hoping E6 would save the season but all I could think was "boring". For me this season joins S2 and S3 as being fails. While I admit that trying to capture the excellence of S1 is probably impossible, season 4 does not come close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 09:54 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,696,833 times
I thought it was good. Very glad that the solution was based in reality and not something supernatural.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:20 AM

7,074 posts, read 2,764,947 times
I almost threw up in my mouth watching an old wrinked Jody Foster having sex with her former boss in the hotel room.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:53 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,764,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I think I may already have written this upthread! But not watching all of S1 would be the same as Phoebe (Friends) not watching It's a Wonderful Life all the way, because it just got so depressing!
Wasn't that "Old Yeller"?

Old 02-23-2024, 05:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 5,315,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Soooo what did everyone think??? We loved it. We are also rewatching Season 1 to refresh ourselves.

Did you guys know that Navarro in real life is a champion boxer?????
I loved it. Hubs, meh. I thought both Jody and Kali were great in it.
I watched Season 1 twice (it set the bar for this franchise) and I will watch Season 4 again since I'm sure there were things I missed.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:25 PM

22,413 posts, read 29,564,252 times
We watched season 1 again. Really great. Watching season 3 now. Also, listed to the official podcast of season 4. Pretty good

Old 02-27-2024, 10:52 PM

62,006 posts, read 87,675,913 times
Watching season 4 right now, and literally agonizing through episode 5.
This is horrible! Very slow, boring, not much happening...
Foster overuse of F bomb all the times is bothering me a lot. And fake sex scenes - we all know that she is into women.
Both totally not needed and not bringing any value to the show.
But I guess, Hollywood still thinks that swearing and sex is necessary to sell a movie...
After seeing previous seasons, especially the brilliantly made season 1, a true masterpiece - I am very, very disappointed.

I want to finish watching it, but it's a struggle. It's so bad, that I stopped paying undivided attention after episode 3 and started multitasking. Sadly, following episodes didn't get any better, in the contrary.
There is not much mystery, or intriguing investigation. The plot is a mess, characters are flat, there is too much talking and the dialogs aren't flowing well. The soundtracks absolutely incongruous with the mood of the show.
Except of the beautiful scenery, there is nothing to talk about.

Last edited by elnina; 02-27-2024 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-28-2024, 09:04 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,217,552 times
Season 4 was my first experience with the True Detective Franchise, and while I enjoyed the season overall, I can see a lot of valid criticism of the show. From what I understand, this season was originally developed as a stand alone show, and the True Detective label came later, so they had to shoehorn a lot of callbacks to Season 1 in, and I think that's where a lot of the show's deficiencies lie.

Having said that, my best takeaways from watching this season were that it:

1. Made me go back and watch Season 1, which was great, and I can see where all the praise came from.

2. It sent me off to research other female lead crime dramas, and there are good ones. I'm currently watching Mare of Easttown and I think it's terrific. Well written and the acting by Kate Winslet is superb, as is the supporting cast, especially Jean Smart and the actress who plays Winslet's teen daughter.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:33 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
2. It sent me off to research other female lead crime dramas, and there are good ones. I'm currently watching Mare of Easttown and I think it's terrific. Well written and the acting by Kate Winslet is superb, as is the supporting cast, especially Jean Smart and the actress who plays Winslet's teen daughter.
MARE OF EASTTOWN was great. Highly recommended. Others I'd recommend:

BROADCHURCH. I forewarn anyone watching this show: It is very hard to watch at times. The central crime that dominates the show involves the murder of a young boy, and it is really gut-wrenching in places. But the show remains one of the best crime dramas to come out of the UK.

BLUE LIGHTS. A new one, also from Britain. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it entirely a "female led crime drama," but it is definitely a crime drama with great female characters, both protagonists and antagonists. Currently streaming on BritBox in the USA.

VERONICA MARS. I was so sure I would hate this show, seeing it as another CWesque teen melodrama. Wow was I wrong. It definitely has its teen drama in places, but this show is definitely in my Top 20 of all-time great TV shows. Start watching this show as a cynic. You'll come out a marshmallow.

FARGO. Especially Season 1. This one is in my Top 5. Allison Tolman as Deputy Solverson will steal your heart and keep it forever. She is kind, decent, and vulnerable, but she is also smart, tenacious, and a really good cop. The other seasons are also quite good. Though I am not sure I'd classify any of them as "female led crime dramas," they are all definitely crime dramas with incredible female characters, both good and bad.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:19 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,696,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Soooo what did everyone think??? We loved it. We are also rewatching Season 1 to refresh ourselves.

Did you guys know that Navarro in real life is a champion boxer?????
I didn't realize that. I must say, although this may come across as superficial, that I'm not crazy about seeing those cheek piercings every week. Anybody else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV