Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 07:39 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Same for us. As a matter of fact, we watched episode 1 and 2, 2 times. Seemed like there were details that we must've missed, so we went back and watched episode 1, and then 2 again. We were right. There WERE details we missed the first time around.

It sure has my attention now.
This is definitely one of those shows where you cant divert your attention for a second or else you miss something important to the story. I usually watch each episode 2 or 3 times during the week to catch anything I may have missed the first time.

Like most here, loved season 1, not so crazy about seasons 2 or 3. But I have high hopes for this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 03:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I haven't watched other seasons of this show so don't have anything to compare it to, but I'll give anything set in the arctic a try, especially when eerie primordial or spiritual overtones are involved. Some of that will make the hair on the back of my neck stand up faster than anything.

I found much in the first episode confusing, dialogue muddy, events disjointed, interesting tidbits paraded across our line of sight, then discarded just as quickly. Was that part of establishing a sense of mystery or was it poor writing? The CGI animals were terrible. Having spent time in the far north and having "met" some of its iconic creatures and places in person, my biologist brain gets in the way so I can't suspend disbelief as well. BTW, that was an unbelievably fancy/cushy research station, especially if they were trying to suggest the events take place in Alaska.

One early little feature stuck in my craw to the point I got so preoccupied trying to wrestle it into place I missed the following bits. That caption announcing the last sunset of the year. What an awkward way to suggest winter's long twilights! I can think of multiple better ways to suggest extreme change in daylight than that. I despise poor research, especially about aspects so vital to a storyline. I get tired of shows that bend over backwards trying to convince us we're experiencing the far north. Up until that reality becomes inconvenient. One moment it's supposed to be bone chillingly cold, then for convenience's sake, suddenly it isn't. Note to self: I really should learn to be a bit more forgiving. This isn't a documentary. Exaggeration serves dramatic purposes, but it still gets annoying. For most viewers, the reality of the arctic in December is dramatic enough all by itself.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-26-2024 at 04:53 PM..

Old 01-26-2024, 07:29 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I haven't watched other seasons of this show so don't have anything to compare it to, but I'll give anything set in the arctic a try, especially when eerie primordial or spiritual overtones are involved. Some of that will make the hair on the back of my neck stand up faster than anything.

I found much in the first episode confusing, dialogue muddy, events disjointed, interesting tidbits paraded across our line of sight, then discarded just as quickly. Was that part of establishing a sense of mystery or was it poor writing? The CGI animals were terrible. Having spent time in the far north and having "met" some of its iconic creatures and places in person, my biologist brain gets in the way so I can't suspend disbelief as well. BTW, that was an unbelievably fancy/cushy research station, especially if they were trying to suggest the events take place in Alaska.

One early little feature stuck in my craw to the point I got so preoccupied trying to wrestle it into place I missed the following bits. That caption announcing the last sunset of the year. What an awkward way to suggest winter's long twilights! I can think of multiple better ways to suggest extreme change in daylight than that. I despise poor research, especially about aspects so vital to a storyline. I get tired of shows that bend over backwards trying to convince us we're experiencing the far north. Up until that reality becomes inconvenient. One moment it's supposed to be bone chillingly cold, then for convenience's sake, suddenly it isn't. Note to self: I really should learn to be a bit more forgiving. This isn't a documentary. Exaggeration serves dramatic purposes, but it still gets annoying. For most viewers, the reality of the arctic in December is dramatic enough all by itself.
I get where you are coming from. I have a difficult time watching medical/hospital dramas because everything is so preposterous to me that I have a hard time suspending disbelief. The most realistic medical show in recent memory was Scrubs, and that was a comedy that wasn't even trying to be realistic.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:44 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
I haven't watched it but I understand that they connected some things in S4 to S1 - very Fargo-ish. Has this happened in other seasons? I only watched Season 2.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:51 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
As I said above, I vaguely remember a very loose insinuation of a connection between season 1 and 3. It's been awhile since I've watched either of those seasons and I feel like it was either "blink or you miss it" or even open to interpretation to some degree.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:08 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
UGH now we need to rewatch it 1 and 2 again. I didn't catch the cross overs to season 1.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:21 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I've watched season 1 twice, it was that good -but not recently. I didn't realize there might be a connection between S4 and S1. First episode of S4 last night was okay. We'll see how this story line plays out.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:58 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
My career as a forensic scientist lasted 38 years until I retired from the NJ State Police. I worked with 100's of detectives and police officers over that time. While some were a little wacky and I admit I did not, for the most part, know a lot about their personal/family life, how come in most, if not all, of these detective series the detectives had f'ed up personal and family lives?

Yeah, I know that normal characters would make writing interesting scripts more difficult. But it seems that to be a character in one of these shows you have to have many personal issues!

Old 01-30-2024, 09:58 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
What a great episode. I have questions but don't want to spoil anything for anyone

Old 01-30-2024, 10:08 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
My career as a forensic scientist lasted 38 years until I retired from the NJ State Police. I worked with 100's of detectives and police officers over that time. While some were a little wacky and I admit I did not, for the most part, know a lot about their personal/family life, how come in most, if not all, of these detective series the detectives had f'ed up personal and family lives?

Yeah, I know that normal characters would make writing interesting scripts more difficult. But it seems that to be a character in one of these shows you have to have many personal issues!
Because in reality there is a high percentage of alcoholism and divorce within the law enforcement community. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV