Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 02:35 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times

Advertisements

We truly enjoyed EP 1 this season. Jodie Foster nailed her character. Cant wait for Ep2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 07:05 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
So what du you think? We found the first episode intriguing.
Do. Duh.

Old 01-16-2024, 06:06 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Disclaimer: I have never been a fan of TRUE DETECTIVE. I tried watching Season 1 and hated it. Pretentious and pompous. All style. No substance. I think I made it 3 or 4 episodes before I bailed and never watched again. But I was excited for Season 4, because I love a good Arctic thriller and I have been an unabashed Jodie Foster fan since CANDLESHOE. So I watched with eager anticipation.

I was largely disappointed. Everything I hated about Season 1 is still here and then some. Entire scenes that make no sense but happen anyway because the writer needs X to happen and thinks they look cool. Not a single likeable character onscreen. And dialogue that ranges from the pretentious to the preposterous. Elmore Leonard, the King of Great Dialogue, had great advice: If it sounds like writing, then rewrite it. The dialogue in this show ALL sounds written, and not just written but agonized over by four-year film student. Every line I get the impression the writer spent an hour chewing off a pencil eraser to make sure every line was Important with a capital I.

"Do you believe in God?"
"Yes."
"Must be comforting."
"What?"
"Knowing you're not alone."
"We're all alone. Even God."

Seriously. Who talks like that????? No one I have ever met. But the writer needs to let us know how smart he is and how Important (with a capital I) this is. I salute any writer who is trying to bring out deep themes in a story, but learn the value of subtext for cryin' out loud.

And again, I love Jodie Foster. I have loved Jodie Foster since I was a kid. But man is her character badly written, and she seems to be getting some extraordinarily bad direction in her performance. I get the impression the director is standing behind camera telling her, "Remember. You are a True Detective. Very smart. But otherwise, you are just a hyperactive a-hole who mistreats everyone in her life. Because this is Important (with a capital I)."

That said, the show wasn't a complete wash. I love the setting. If they didn't film this in the north in the middle of winter, they sure did a good job giving us the illusion they did. The show looks fantastic. And I love the spooky and possibly supernatural goings-on. The cast is largely great, although the script isn't giving anyone much to work with.

I'll watch a bit more, but unless the story shows marked improvement, I doubt I'm in for the long haul.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Which lunatic decided on that excruciating opening song for a theme? Seriously. You could fill a Hefty bag with pots and pans and record it tumbling down three flights of rickety stairs and it would be a more pleasant aural experience than that "song."

Old 01-16-2024, 07:26 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
I (who loved the first season and but 2 and 3 not so much) was a little underwhelmed by S4E1 but will give it time.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:48 PM

19,776 posts, read 22,673,762 times
We're waiting to see how it develops. Ep.1 was a little strange to say the least.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:03 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Snip: I was largely disappointed. Everything I hated about Season 1 is still here and then some. Entire scenes that make no sense but happen anyway because the writer needs X to happen and thinks they look cool. Not a single likeable character onscreen. And dialogue that ranges from the pretentious to the preposterous. Elmore Leonard, the King of Great Dialogue, had great advice: If it sounds like writing, then rewrite it. The dialogue in this show ALL sounds written, and not just written but agonized over by four-year film student. Every line I get the impression the writer spent an hour chewing off a pencil eraser to make sure every line was Important with a capital I.
I find myself agreeing with you most of the time, but not this time. Just a matter of taste and style preferences. I LOVED S1, one of the most poignant TV experiences I've ever had. The journey into nihilism and back was handled superbly, IMO. We now own the DVD set, and we've watched it maybe 3 or 4 times. It gets better every time. And I truly enjoyed the dialogue in S4E1. So far, so good. Yes, it does approximate the style (I'd say quality) of S1.

BTW, it's filmed in Iceland.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I (who loved the first season and but 2 and 3 not so much) was a little underwhelmed by S4E1 but will give it time.
I liked season 3 as much as 1. Season 2 was an acquired taste but not bad overall. I think some of the issue with it was Vince Vaughan not being in a comedic role (which was jarring for many people).

Old 01-18-2024, 10:18 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
We really liked it and can't wait to see how it plays out!!

Old 01-20-2024, 07:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I just watched ep. 1. It’s okay. I will continue watching but I don’t think it is going to be as good as season 1 (or even season 3). So far, it is giving me David Lynch vibes, which makes me think that it is unoriginal and trying just a bit too hard to be classified as “edgy.” I like the actors, though, which is why I will keep watching. Fiona Shaw is a nice surprise.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:49 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
After S4E2 I'm still not feeling it (like I did for season 1). A lot of things bother me although I understand there are a ton of things to resolve. I will keep watching.

I don't know what I was expecting from Jodi Foster and her character (I've loved her characters from past movies and performances). Besides the wrinkles and other signs of aging she still looks like a young kid to me and with the high pitched voice just does not come across as a hard-ass police officer/detective. Perhaps Hilary Swank (very good in Alaska which ended too soon) would have been a better casting choice IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV