Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, he sure will blame it on someone else. If Jennifer believes him, she needs to have a good knock up side the head. She's being one of those parents who believes their child is perfect and would never do anything like that! I know it's a show but I've seen things like this in real life. The juvenile courts are filled with kids like JJ and parents are who are just deaf, dumb and blind to their kid's criminal activity. It's not until they become a repeat offender, ending up in jail (and later prison) until their parents wise up. This is a storyline the writers have a good opportunity to work with. I hope they don't blow it. JJ is heading down a bad path. I hope Jennifer gets a clue soon.
For some parents it never stops either. My sister took in 45 year old "kid" because the little loser was having "problems" he couldn't deal with. He told her he was sick with some vague illness and she felt sorry for him. So was going to nurse him back to health and help him start a new life because she felt he couldn't take care of himself and his health and financial problems.

She was too blind to see what his problems really were. He drank too much, ate too much and lied too much about it. Plus he was verbally abusive towards her. But like teenage JJ, he would apologize and make excuses and she would forgive him.

The stay with her and step daddy was supposed to be temporary until he got back on his feet but after a couple of years he was still there still mooching off her. Then he got busted for doing drugs and lost the job finally landed the third year he was living with her. Sister dear blamed it on "bad luck," not that he was doing the drugs, but that he got caught. After a couple more years he got some sort of nothing job and is still living with her and stepdad who puts up with him although why I couldn't say.

Luckily, stepdad earns a great salary and sister has a fat government pension so they can support sonny boy. but they want to retired and the "kid" can't support himself. I joke with younger sister that they will have to bring him along to the retirement community they want to move to. At least he will be able to meet the age qualification of being over 55 by the time they are ready to go.

So he has been living with sister and brother-in-law for about six years now. Sister still makes all kinds of excuses for him.

Good old Jennifer better get wise to JJ if she doesn't want to have a senior citizen druggie on her hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
That is tragic, Minervah. You're right that some parents never wise up. Maybe "Days" will show a better outcome in JJ and Jennifer's story.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That is tragic, Minervah. You're right that some parents never wise up. Maybe "Days" will show a better outcome in JJ and Jennifer's story.
Hard to believe but all true. And that's only a small part. I think that's part of the reason when the Jeniffer/JJ story comes on I can barely stand to watch. Although JJ's character is a teenager and so there is a chance for redemption, Jennifer's attitude towards him is just like my sister's attitude towards her overgrown "teenager." She has the attitude of "baby steps" towards his problems. It isn't working.

Too bad I can't get her to watch "Days." The sad part is, my nephew was just like JJ when he was a teen. If the parent at least doesn't try to do the right thing, I guess the kid doesn't outgrow the problem. At least my nephew didn't. My sister let him run wild when he was a teen making excuses for him and nothing ever changed.

And she even lost one nice boyfriend because of her son when he was a teenager. The boyfriend tried to discipline the kid (the dad was out of the picture) and although my sister didn't want to give up the boyfriend and did try to make peace between them, the boyfriend finally gave up on her because she would never discipline her kids and back him up when he tried. There is a younger son who is a good guy and somehow managed to grow up a decent person.

That's why I keep yelling at Dr. Dan to leave old Jen and her messed up kid and find someone with some sense.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
I can see what the Jennifer/JJ storyline is hard for you to watch.

I liked the scene b/t Daniel & Abby yesterday. The way he thanked her for being so supportive of he & Jen's attempts at a relationship, and that he told her to take some time for herself and not to take-on being the support for her whole family. That was well written.

I still don't get the Cameron/Chad back & forth though. Cameron seems to be pushing Abby away so that Chad's limited time can be spent with Abby. I guess I really don't get Cameron's character at all. For such a beautiful actor, the writers haven't really taken his character anywhere--well, other than those stripper scenes.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Well, here's the response I got after emailing the local NBC affiliate:

...effective Monday, September 9th, KSL 5 TV's daytime program line up will be changing to provide the strongest line up of news, talk and information in Utah.

KSL Morning News: 4:30–7:00am
Today Show 1, 2 and 3: 7:00–11:00am
Dr. Phil (2nd run): 11:00am – Noon
KSL Noon News: Noon–12:30pm
KSL Browser 5.0: 12:30–1:00pm
Studio 5 with Brooke Walker: 1:00-2:00pm
Rachael Ray: 2:00-3:00pm
Katie: 3:00-4:00pm
Dr Phil: 4:00-5:00pm

Days of Our Lives will continue to air on KSL in a new time period, M-F 1:05-2:05am.

Days of Our Lives is the highest recorded program on KSL where over 60% of the audience views the program outside of its originally scheduled time. We recognize that viewers Days of Our Lives are passionate fans and we are confident that they will continue to enjoy their favorite show in its new time period or by the various means that new technologies provide (nbc.com, DVR or HULU).

I know this is not good news to some of our viewers, but I hope you will understand that it is part of our overall strategy to provide news and talk in our daytime programming and that unfortunately pushed Days of our Lives to a much later time.

Yeah because a repeat of Dr. Phil makes their daytime line up so much stronger. WhatEVER!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Yeah, their new time slot is going to be just great for stay-at-home moms and old ladies (like me) who don't need to go to bed at a decent hour. That comment by the station is hogwash. They know darned well why they're putting it on, at that obscene hour. I knew Utah was a tad more conservative but I never thought they would stoop to dictating what people watch in that state. So much for freedom in Utah.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I can see what the Jennifer/JJ storyline is hard for you to watch.

I liked the scene b/t Daniel & Abby yesterday. The way he thanked her for being so supportive of he & Jen's attempts at a relationship, and that he told her to take some time for herself and not to take-on being the support for her whole family. That was well written.

I still don't get the Cameron/Chad back & forth though. Cameron seems to be pushing Abby away so that Chad's limited time can be spent with Abby. I guess I really don't get Cameron's character at all. For such a beautiful actor, the writers haven't really taken his character anywhere--well, other than those stripper scenes.
I agree. I like Cameron. I hope they do more with him. The story of someone pushing someone away for the sake of someone else has been done so many times anyway. I wish they would let that go already.

I liked the Dr. Dan and Abby scene too. Abby is really maturing.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 PM

[quote=eggalegga;31283529]Well, here's the response I got after emailing the local NBC affiliate:

That's not a very pleasing schedule. Besides HULU, NBC broadcasts DOOL online the day after an episode is aired so you can keep up that way. Although the repetitive commercials are a pain in the neck.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Well, JJ is in trouble. Jennifer finally is wise. The little sneak still tried to weasel out by blaming Dr. Dan and everyone else. I half expected Jen to fall for that again. Maybe she still will. I think she really handled the situation badly throughout the whole story. Or I should say the writers did.

When Dr. Dan told her she couldn't see through JJ's lies because she herself was "so honest" I just shook my head. She has been lying all along. She did make JJ believe she was through with Dr. Dan when all the while she was telling Dr. Dan it was just "a break." She didn't exactly lie to JJ when she didn't tell him about the photo shoot at Dr.Dan's but she didn't tell him the truth either by just saying "it was business and not important" where she was going.

But the worst of her lies even though it was only potential, was when she begged Dr. Dan to sneak around with her. If that wouldn't have been lying to JJ and everyone else, what would have been? It was only Dr. Dan who stopped her. She is a liar to the max. That's why I don't get why everyone keeps telling her how honest she is and how virtuous. The writers really miss the mark on that one.

Now she suddenly sees the light about JJ regarding every little thing. She is accusing him of whatever she can think of. Maybe that isn't such a good idea right now. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but it's obvious she cannot deal with him on her own so I think she should just keep quiet and get some counseling for them both when he is released or if he is released.

All in all, I said it before and I'll say it again, Ann Milbauer is not all that off the mark when it comes to assessing the virtues of Jennifer Devereaux.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Wow! Jen is getting smart! She figured out that JJ put Rory up to telling that long winded story about his putting JJ up to selling drugs. Finally she is seeing through her lying son's stories. But will she let JJ live on the streets? If he is going to leave her house how will he live? He doesn't have any money so she would still have to support him. I don't think she would want to leave him penniless. Although it would certainly be a good lesson for him. I never had kids so I never had to face a situation like this. What does a parent do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV