Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Nick really wasn't a bad guy at first. He was kind a a geek at first like Eugene. Melanie at the time was living in Europe. She was a party girl who had a kind of racey website. Nick fell in love with her from the website. I am kind of hazy on the details but she came to Salem with her evil step dad, Trent, who prostituted her with his illegal business deals.

Nick met Melanie in person and fell in love with her. He became obsessed with her. She knew it and used him to get whatever she wanted. Meantime he got hooked on drugs and became a loony tuna. He knew her step dad was hurting her so he killed him but he kidnapped her. Anyway he got caught and went to jail. Actually the actor who played Nick wanted out of the show to go on to better things as many of the young ones do.

That's about all I can remember. Probably if anyone remembers more accurately than this and I am sure this is not very good, feel free to fill in.

No episode on Monday? Boooo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Thank you for giving me the back story, Minervah. Sounds like it was a pretty good show back then. Sorry I missed it. Melanie sure has changed from those days, eh? If memory serves, I think I came in just about the time she had some energy formula that was going to make billions of dollars. She was a lot different than she is now. She had more pizazz.

Now that the announcement is out, this is not a spoiler so I can talk about it. Bo. I read that Peter Reckell has already taped his last show and will be gone by September. Since there doesn't seem to be anything (on the show) indicating that he's sick and dying or involved in some case that will get him killed, I'm thinking they are just going to replace him with another actor.

Have you read anything about it?

Yeah, tomorrow is preempted for golf.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thank you for giving me the back story, Minerva. Sounds like it was a pretty good show back then. Sorry I missed it. Melanie sure has changed from those days, eh? If memory serves, I think I came in just about the time she had some energy formula that was going to make billions of dollars. She was a lot different than she is now. She had more pizazz.

Now that the announcement is out, this is not a spoiler so I can talk about it. Bo. I read that Peter Reckell has already taped his last show and will be gone by September. Since there doesn't seem to be anything (on the show) indicating that he's sick and dying or involved in some case that will get him killed, I'm thinking they are just going to replace him with another actor.

Have you read anything about it?

Yeah, tomorrow is preempted for golf.
I haven't seen anything about Peter Reckell. I agree that there is a strong possibility they will replace him with another actor. They have had people lose spouses through death or divorce already so I don't think there will be any more.

Yeah Melanie was quite the firecracker back in the day. I can't remember the energy formula though. Since I have been watching on and off forever I don't know if that's a period when I didn't watch or it was just a memory lapse. But I do remember her party girl website and it was a hoot. And her step father at one point tried to use by "loaning" her to his shady business partner to settle a debt which apparently was something he had successfully done in the past.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I haven't seen anything about Peter Reckell. I agree that there is a strong possibility they will replace him with another actor. They have had people lose spouses through death or divorce already so I don't think there will be any more.

Yeah Melanie was quite the firecracker back in the day. I can't remember the energy formula though. Since I have been watching on and off forever I don't know if that's a period when I didn't watch or it was just a memory lapse. But I do remember her party girl website and it was a hoot. And her step father at one point tried to use by "loaning" her to his shady business partner to settle a debt which apparently was something he had successfully done in the past.
Can't believe I'm still awake so late but since I'm here ....

I don't remember the entire story that well but from what I remember she had something she wanted to sell to Titan and, I thought, it had something to do with energy. Maybe not, though. Hard to remember such small details. She had the hots for Phillip and then she fell for that Horton guy. Can't remember his name but he was a doctor and he liked her except that chick, Stephanie, wanted him. Conniving little . She was an evil brat. I sort of hated seeing her leave the show. I didn't like her but I loved watching her try to control situations and the way she'd manipulate things.

In fact, thinking back, there were quite a few characters on the show that I liked and they went bye bye. Budget cuts, I suppose. I sure wish they'd bring those characters back. I can't prove it and I haven't read it anywhere but judging by the quality - or rather lack of quality - in the show right now, I think they're having financial problems and the show could be next on the chopping block.

Oh well ... guess we'll just continue to watch until it is no more. Seeing as tomorrow is preempted, I'll keep myself busy with my Fall cleaning.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Have any long-time DOOL watchers noticed....

Maggie/Marlena have somewhat transitioned into the the typical Alice role and

Hope & Kayla (and maybe Jen) have become more Maggie/Marlena like with their roles?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Have any long-time DOOL watchers noticed....

Maggie/Marlena have somewhat transitioned into the the typical Alice role and

Hope & Kayla (and maybe Jen) have become more Maggie/Marlena like with their roles?
Definitely Maggie has become the matriarch of the Horton family, even though she's a Horton by marriage. And Marlena seems quite comfortable with her "grandma" role.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
It's been interesting reading the posts here and catching up a bit. I followed DOOL daily for over four decades but gave it up when I had a job change a few years ago and an even busier schedule which didn't allow me time to keep up via recordings. But reading your posts has me chomping at the bit to start watching again. Perhaps if I record it once or twice a week I can get back up to speed.

When I started watching DOOL, Alice and Tom Horton were a fairly young couple! Maggie wasn't even on the show yet. I remember when Hope's mom died from cancer just after delivering her baby (hence, the name Hope). I recall when Bo and Hope first met as teenagers and hated each other. Gosh - how old AM I? *chuckle*

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,275 times
I LOVED Eugene and Calliope!! They should be brought back! I totally agree with Maggie / Marlena role change. I do wish they'd use Caroline more, but I think she's had health problems.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Caroline was in a couple of scenes the other day; Peggy McCay's voice sounded stronger than the last time she was on screen and she was moving around better. She's 82; we're lucky she still wants to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
But reading your posts has me chomping at the bit to start watching again. Perhaps if I record it once or twice a week I can get back up to speed.
They suck you in like that, don't they? *sigh*

Quote:
Gosh - how old AM I? *chuckle*
As old as I am ... I remember when Hope was born. Addie was beside herself with joy, and Doug was lusting after Julie. LOL

Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM

I found a picture of Peggy McCay playing Charlie Hume's wife, Marian, on the Lou Grant show in 1979:

(yes, I'm bored at work today! LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV