Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Mark being named after Mark Burnett? I don't buy it. Tai pronounced Mark "mock." The chicken's clucking sounded like "mock mock mock." That's where the name more likely came from. Probst just wanted (or was obligated) to tie Mark Burnett into the reunion show, and that was the angle he chose.

Also, Aubrey deserved the win, but ignoring the million dollar payday she lost out on, she will likely benefit from her appearance on the show more than any other player this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 07:22 AM

350 posts, read 477,829 times
Quote:
Mark being named after Mark Burnett? I don't buy it.
Yes, it was mentioned that they named the two chickens: Jeff & Mark (but they ate Jeff). He was always referred to as "Mark" (for Mark Burnett). And I stand corrected, he was a young rooster and resembled a hen at first, but, obviously, when he started to crow, that is proof positive he was a rooster.

I was disappointed Aubry didn't win, was routing for her out of the final three. Michelle was never on my radar.

After watching the last Ponderosa with Cyndy, my opinion of that 'boy's club' of Scot & Jason was confirmed. What jerks. I hope they never are never mentioned again in Survivor chronicles.

Lastly, I think they might need to go back to a final two. How often are votes cast for only two in the end anyway?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
I don't like that weird singer that never shows her face, so odd. Also, I don't really believe that the beauty tribe had a strike against them. In life as evidenced by statistics we are attracted to pretty people. They are hired more often and become leaders. We follow beauty. It might not make sense, but it is true. Now, this doesn't include the Suzanne Sommers bimbo model, but just really nice looking people. Michelle did not come across as a bimbo or ignorant.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,482 times
It is very telling when everybody wanted to get Michele out from final 5 to the end. They knew she has a lot of friends in the jury. The most telling of all is that Cydney voted for Michele. Without the twist, in either a final 2 or final 3, Michele wins.

Michele was lucky in that Jason and Scot were definitely bitter, but I'd also argue that Aubry never formed any bonds with them. Julia and Nick were always going to vote for Michele and that's 4 votes already.

Jury management is always going to be an important part of the game, but I feel Michele did it better.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
I don't think it really made a difference but the one thing Aubry did that I didn't like was when answering Cydney's question, she gave Cydney credit for almost every move Aubry made. I know it was to butter up Cydney and paint her as a threat to Aubry but it took away everything she did and made it look like, Oh she wasn't really the mastermind she led us to believe. Cydney was and Aubry just went along with her.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:18 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Please tell me one move that she made, that was her idea, that completely changed the direction of the game?
That, to me, is irrelevant. If "having your own ideas" and "changing the game" are the main criteria for who deserves to win, then imo Tai should have won for blindsiding Scot. That was the biggest game changer I can think of in this season. Playing the game well holistically is most important to me, and it seems I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

It's not like Michele accomplished nothing, anyway. She won what, four challenges? She didn't alienate people (AKA had a good social game.) And as someone else mentioned, the proof is in the pudding so to speak about her gameplay since she ended up winning.

I understand if people are disappointed that their favorite didn't win, but I don't understand getting all outraged about it. I wouldn't have been outraged if Aubry or Tai won, I just liked Michele better. *shrugs*

Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Perfect example of what I'm talking about. I also saw Julia as a snake, because she was helping an alliance that I didn't like. HOWEVER.... she was making moves and strategizing in a way that would have changed the game if they had worked, but it turns out those moves didn't work out or advance her in the game. If they had, I'd have given her credit for it.
Come on Whipper, don't you see that your logic would have gotten Michelle exiled and booted out of the game!? She should have played like Julia?? Right, and Nick, Debbie, Jason, Peter, none of those game plays would have worked out. And your bias shows. You didn't like Julia simply because she was talking with an alliance you despised. I've always credited Julia with playing the game, but so many on here thought she was a snake.

And I'm sorry, she was nothing like Woo or Joe who are examples of completely weak social players who made it far. Bottom line is making huge moves SOMETIMES works out, sometimes not. Ultimately, I think people saw too much of a snake in Aubry and Tai.

And to be fair, only one player in this game made a huge move and that was Tai. Aubry was saved in the early going by Cydny who luckily for Aubry decided to join her alliance. Aubry never even had to reach out to Cydny. Cydny made the decision her self.

And I still stand by the fact that it is a huge black mark to have a puppy dog like Joe on your lap for dang near the whole game. I don't believe most jurors respect that. Aubry would have been better off dumping Joe around 7 or 8 and shaking things up.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Yes, it was mentioned that they named the two chickens: Jeff & Mark (but they ate Jeff). He was always referred to as "Mark" (for Mark Burnett).
Haha, I guess I missed that part. There were several scenes where they'd mention Mark (Mock) and immediately show Mock walking around camp saying mock mock mock.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Have you watched other survivors? Almost every winner, EVER, has had another player right with them, 'in the bag' -as you say. That kinda is the goal, get someone to follow your lead, or, even better, get 2! WAKE UP!!!
Sure, but the goal is to sit next to them. Aubry's flaw, okay bad luck with the medivac, but she sat against two other deserving players. It's a risky play. On one hand, if you make it there with them, you look golden. On the other hand, if that weak player gets voted out at 4 or 5, it will be a black mark on your resume when you go up against equally deserving players.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have no problem with Michelle winning. We must recall that they are out there playing for up to 39 days (for the final three, at least).

We view 13 to 16 episodes during a season, each episode lasting some 45 minutes. So, if a season consists of 15 episodes, we see 11.25 hours of the 936 hours they spent on the island (or wherever).

As Jeff likes to say, the social game is a huge part of the game. When I look back at some of the winners, I think of how some were simply more social, more pleasant to be around, for that long period of time.

If I were on a jury, and spent hundreds of pleasant hours in company with a person (hours not aired on television), while the other two finalists were less pleasant, I would, all things being equal, go with the person I enjoyed being with.

I think the jury appreciated Michelle's personality more. They were also probably persuaded by her strong finish.

I agree that Audrey would have been an acceptable winner. At least according to the edit, and some of the comments during the jury session, she 'grew' the most, from a 'fish out of water' to a strong, canny player. Yet she may have been rather unpleasant to be around for hours on end.
Brilliantly said. I also agree that Aubry would have been an acceptable winner. Really, any three of them. I do believe being likable plays a HUGE role in the outcomes. Aubry her self said it a couple times nearing the end of the game. She made multiple comments as how Michelle would be a huge threat because she made no enemies and everyone liked her.

I don't think Aubry really did anything to be disliked, although I can see her maybe being a little more of a loner and too involved in strategy. But it is more likely that Michelle did MORE off camera to be engaging to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV