Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times

Advertisements

There have been enough great series aired such that I now question the viability of 2 to 3 hour movies. You just can't tell the story in a couple hours! Even this season of True Detectives felt a little rushed at the end.

An example: Ender's Game. They were pretty true to the book, but had to leave so much out concerning the background and development of the characters that it just did not cut it.

The way Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit was done (splitting it up into several movies) is the only way to tell epic type stories......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
The The killing that was shown in the UK was much better than the US version although it was very good and well written, the new detective series sounds good except I can't stand woody Harrelson he's another Hollywood liberal.
"Another Hollywood Liberal?" And what's so wrong with that? Believe me, he won't be talking about it on the show...

Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I just watched the first three episodes on disc from Netflix and I am loving it but I can see why some folks would feel that it just was not their cup of tea. I bumped the other 2 discs up to the top of my queue.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:31 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
ok, maybe it's just me, but I don't believe anyone will hold a candle to those guys in the first season, they were exceptionally good, really brilliant in their roles.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ok, maybe it's just me, but I don't believe anyone will hold a candle to those guys in the first season, they were exceptionally good, really brilliant in their roles.
Your post inspired me to look for info on next season's cast. Apparently, there's a casting problem that has delayed filming.

'True Detective' season 2 spoilers: Casting trouble for the show? | Christian News on Christian Today

Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
What? Why on earth would there be different actors?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think that the concept of this show is to follow one case in depth and so the next case could be in a new location and feature all new cast. I haven't seen all of season 1 yet but I assume that the case was satisfactorily wrapped up.

I'd best get lots of "stuff" done today and tomorrow so that when the next two discs from Netflix arrive in the mail about noon on Monday my schedule will be clear and I can watch the rest of season one.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:12 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I think that the concept of this show is to follow one case in depth and so the next case could be in a new location and feature all new cast. I haven't seen all of season 1 yet but I assume that the case was satisfactorily wrapped up.

I'd best get lots of "stuff" done today and tomorrow so that when the next two discs from Netflix arrive in the mail about noon on Monday my schedule will be clear and I can watch the rest of season one.
The way I remember it, there was more to come with these two - so confused! I guess I will watch the last one again.

I also thought I saw a preview at that time for next season showing the two of them.

HBO GO does not do the preview thing at the end, so that won't help me.

I thought MM was out there still trying to catch devil-dude and it would show us what happens *lost*

Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Because that was the concept.

They were going to make one season, with one story start to finish, with a unique set of actors. IF... if it was successful, HBO would consider making a second season. But it would be a new story, with all new characters.

Similar concept to the TV mini-series Fargo.

There was no way WH and MM would sign up for the commitment of 3-5 years of a regular series. They were sold on the one and done concept.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
I read somewhere that MM said he wouldn't mind doing another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV