Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,289,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
'True Detective' season 2: Cast member dream teams | NJ.com

I don't think any of these suggestions are DREAM-teams. I don't consider these actors big hitters.

And I won't watch Damian Lewis.
I don't like Damian Lewis either. HBO set the bar way too high with Woody and Matthew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 AM

29,036 posts, read 30,500,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I don't like Damian Lewis either. HBO set the bar way too high with Woody and Matthew.
I gotta agree and just said that to some one, no one will ever hold a candle to those two....it will not be the same...they were exceptional.

I don't care for Damian Lewis either, but, he is a good actor....

However, no one will ever hold a candle to Woody and Matthew...I don't believe the show will do as well....

Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM

9,838 posts, read 11,656,977 times
Quote:
It might not even be worth watching next season. Fukunaga might be the reason it was great. He was writing and directing.
This^^^
Who was the guy that did all the camera work on Breaking Bad. he was pretty good!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 AM

29,810 posts, read 34,705,312 times
Quote:
It might not even be worth watching next season. Fukunaga might be the reason it was great. He was writing and directing.
He was directing, but Nic Pizzolatto was the writer/showrunner. Having the same director do the entire season was really a boon. I hope they find someone with a similar vision.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,175,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
So when they pitched a new "cop" show with Woody Harrelson, you were all in?

Point is, you never know what to expect...

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,476,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
However, no one will ever hold a candle to Woody and Matthew...I don't believe the show will do as well....
There are quite a few actors who would be good.

Johnny Depp
Robert Downing, Jr.
John Travolta
Russel Crow
Denzel Washington
Leonardo DiCaprio
Curt Russell
Morgan Freeman
Tom Hanks
Val Kilmer
Hugh Jackman

But they said next season will be about strong women. That's going to be tough to find versatility and depth. Most of the famous females aren't very deep but all looks. Who is the next generation's Meryl Streep of today? I like Julia Roberts, but I don't like her, if that makes sense.

Angelina Jolie
And who else?????????

Old 03-11-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
He was directing, but Nic Pizzolatto was the writer/showrunner.
I read an article that they were writing together.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM

29,810 posts, read 34,705,312 times
Quote:
There are some actors who would be good.

Johnny Depp
Robert Downing, Jr.
John Travolta
Russel Crow
Denzel Washington
Leonardo DiCaprio
Curt Russell
Morgan Freeman
Tom Hanks
Val Kilmer
Hugh Jackman

But they said next season will be about strong women. That's going to be tough to find versatility and depth. Most of the famous females aren't very deep but all looks. Who is the next generation's Meryl Streep of today? I like Julia Roberts, but I don't like her, if that makes sense.

Angelina Jolie
?????????
All of those in the list are way too high profile, and John Travolta? No. Just no.

I could see Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, Jessica Chastain, Patricia Clarkson, Viola Davis...actresses like that (and probably a dozen more who aren't on the radar) being able to handle tough material.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-11-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,877,611 times
True Detective can't afford Matthew McConaughy now. I almost bailed on the show after a couple episodes. But I stuck with it and am glad I did. I think the chemistry between MM&WH won't be matched next season.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
All of those in the list are way too high profile
They got Matthew McConaughey. He ranks among them. True Detectives is going to draw very high profile actors. They're going to be interested. The short season of only eight episodes makes it possible for them to fit it into their schedules. They'll like being able to have more time to develop a character compared to a movie without having to step down to television. Some big names have done miniseries in the past. And HBO has street cred. This could end up being similar to going back to the stage or doing an indie film pet project. Once movie actors achieve a high level of success, they can afford to do off-beat things.

Quote:
...and John Travolta? No. Just no.
He is an extremely versatile actor. He is capable of acting any part. He has done the airhead, the singer/dancer, the weird pulp-culture, and the evil and nasty. He might want to try to reinvent himself again and dig into something emotional.

Quote:
...I could see Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, Jessica Chastain, Patricia Clarkson, Viola Davis...actresses like that (and probably a dozen more who aren't on the radar) being able to handle tough material.
It's clear they are trying to draw actors who are on the radar. They pulled Harrelson and McConaughey because they are great well-known actors. These actors were the main reason most people gave True Detective a try. Everyone was fascinated and thrilled at the chance to watch great actors for more than 1-1/2 hours in a movie. HBO has created great work with obscure actors, but it's clear they're trying something different with this show by bringing in heavy hitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV