Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,337,445 times

Advertisements

And guess whose "mention" drew the biggest applause...Jack Klugman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,617,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
And guess whose "mention" drew the biggest applause...Jack Klugman.
I noticed that too. I only watched sporadically. I happened to tune in when they were giving the tributes and saw that part. I also saw where they gave Bob Newhart his award and that brings up this point.

I always thought that tributes were reserved for those who had shown special talent and work over the years;people who had proven themselves to be exceptional. Tributes in any field are usually reserved for those who have done something above and beyond the ordinary which I don't think Monteith did.

He may have been a good actor and deserving of a posthumous emmy; I don't know because I never saw his work. But I don't know why he merited a tribute.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 PM

11,685 posts, read 12,854,958 times
I also only watched the award show sporadically as Sunday night is PBS night in my house. I did see the montage and the final hour.

I wish to bring up Larry Hagman. The two works he is most noted for, I Dream of Jeannie and Dallas were silly shows-hardly bastions of intellectualism-but both had significant impact on American pop culture and reflect the climate of their respective historical eras. Larry Hagman is responsible for making JR Ewing the stand-out character who became a TV icon, not the writers, not the directors, not the producers. He took the words written for his character with some very witty put-downs and apothegms and added his own inflection, the laugh, and that evil smile. I think that Dallas was the first major show to have the villain as the lead character where the audience rooted for him and watched each episode to see what JR was going to do next. JR was the standout character on that show, the anti-hero who became the leading role, due to Hagman's interpretation of that role. If it wasn't for Hagman's JR Ewing, there would be no Tony Soprano, no Walter from Breaking Bad, no Nurse Jackie, no Alexis from Dynasty. Prior to JR, leading characters were the hero or heroine. Today's audiences have become more sophisticated and we expect ambiguity in our characters. I loved The Sopranos and James Gandolfini's portrayal of Tony Soprano. and I do think that The Sopranos was a show of greater quality than Dallas. But if James Gandolfini's contribution to television is going to be recognized and singled out during a memorium honor, so should Larry Hagman. JR was the precursor for characters like Tony Soprano and it would never have happened without Larry Hagman's acting ability and his ongoing protection of that character.

There is anothe parallel to CM. Larry Hagman was an alcoholic and according to most accounts, a major SOB during his early career and all through I Dream of Jeannie and his films and TV work during most of the 70s. No one wanted to work with him. He could have gone the same way as CM with his excesses and killed himself. Fortunately, he didn't and he turned himself around. He became well-liked and highly respected in the industry, devoting his money and time tiredlessly to charity causes, most especially alcohol addiction. In his 80s, he resurrected the role of JR, to critical acclaim, and made the new version of Dallas fairly successful and favorably reviewed by critics. How many people can do that? This is why he deserved to be individually recognized by his peers on The Emmy award program. Shame on them.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,246,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No. Because Corey Monteith had a much greater impact than either Klugman or Larry Hagman.

This is a joke, right?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 PM

45,990 posts, read 61,484,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
This is a joke, right?
Don't any of you read an entire thread? There are only about 40 posts. That was my first sarcastic comment and I followed it up with a couple others. Geez.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,189,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You must be part of this younger generation that this stupid tribute is supposed to attract.

Shame on the emmys for pandering and giving credence to someone who died from their own bad choices.
Personally, I think they should honor all who died, not just focus on a few. They always seem to spend more time & keep them til the last the people who died most recently.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,246,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Personally, I think they should honor all who died, not just focus on a few. They always seem to spend more time & keep them til the last the people who died most recently.
You're right.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,475,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No. Because Corey Monteith had a much greater impact than either Klugman or Larry Hagman.
I totally agree.

Hahahaha, just kidding! I totally got your sarcasm. I often post sarcastic comments and people don't get them.

As for the tributes, I thought they should have just done the montage. Doing the extended individual tributes made the whole thing feel like a wake. I agree with Neil Patrick Harris -- it is awkward when some deceased celebs get light clapping and then others get rousing applause. However, I remember one show recently where they must've been told "no applause" -- I think maybe it was the one with Barbra Streisand singing "Memories"?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,931,930 times
Did any of you actually watch Corey's segment? He wasn't being idolized by Jane Lynch. She was actually making a statement of how unnecessary and tragic his death was which in my opinion I think is very topical considering all the misbehavior of young Hollywood today (Miley Cyrus, Justin Beiber, Lindsay Lohan). I saw his tribute as more of a wake up call to young Hollywood. Corey may have had the potential to become like the others being honored but we will never know and I think that was all the more reason to bring awareness.

To be honest I think all the tributes were awful. They really should have showed clips of the actors work instead of the speeches. The whole awards show was a mess from start to finish.

It's sad that so many people keep saying "Corey who???" No reason to be disrespectful. There are many out there who know just who he is and loved his work on Glee. His role on that show was spot on for him and he did great on it. Sadly he had demons plaguing him from years ago and which he was open an honest about.

I'm sure his family, friends, and fans would rather he be here instead of watching a tribute for him. A tribute honoring your death at the Emmy's is nothing any actor would or should want at such a young age.

Jack and Larry's memory may not live on because of the Emmy's but it will live on in the hearts of all their fans who remember and enjoyed their work. That's what really matters. Not some silly tribute at a lame awards show. Really. The show was awful last night.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,617,476 times
I saw only one person saying "Corey who?" on this thread. I think others were actually asking who he was and what he did to merit a tribute. I had never heard of him until I saw on the news that he had overdosed. Then all they said was that he was an actor on the show "Glee" which I had never watched.

I do not think the Emmy Awards should be a platform to be used as a wake-up call for misbehaving young celebrities (Miley Cyrus, Justin Beiber, Lindsay Lohan). That is not fair to all the performers who work hard in their craft and are there to be recognized for that and that alone. There is a time and place for everything and the Emmys is not the place for an intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV