Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM

46,189 posts, read 61,728,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sarcasm didn't translate well. I didn't even know who Monteith was until he died.

Expect more of these types of "issues" over the next few years. Guys like James Garner and Alan Alda, among others like Van Dyke, Bochco and Asner, are all getting up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
How so?? Please tell me what kind of "impact" this druggie had on our society or on the entertainment industry???

You missed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM

1,817 posts, read 1,539,110 times
For the Emmys to ignore the death of a young rising star like Corey Monteith would be truly bizarre given his popularity. The unfortunate circumstances of his death do not diminish his talent or worth nor do they define him.

I also agree that Jack Klugman should be honored individually as well - the industry should pay attention to its relevant history. But being realistic - Quincy went off the air 30 years ago. Probably half of the viewing audience would be too young to remember him.
It is unfortunate that his son felt the need to tear down someone else to portray the importance or his Dad.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,784,660 times
The Emmys didn't have to ignore Corey Monteith --- they could have included him in the "group" tribute thing they do each year.

As for Quincy being off the air for 30 years and SOME in the viewing audience not knowing who he is? That doesn't take away from his 50+ year career in the arts. What about the older crowd who doesn't watch "Glee" and has no clue who Corey Monteith is?? ALL Coey Monteith has done in his "career" was "Glee". He was on a couple of seasons of "Glee" and then overdosed himself on heroin and other illegal drugs. THAT deserves an individual tribute??? I don't think so.

Jack Klugman's son didn't "tear someone else down" ---- he spoke the truth.

What kind of world are we living in when someone who has worked in a field for over 50 years is ignored and some jackoff who was on 2 seasons of a tv show and then kills himself with drugs is given a tribute? Please tell me how that is correct??

Old 09-22-2013, 12:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,784,660 times
Quote:
I think it's criminal," said Adam Klugman in an interview with The Associated Press. "My dad was at the inception of television and helped build it in the early days."
Quote:
"It's an insult and it really seems typical of this youth-centric culture that has an extremely short attention span and panders to only a very narrow demographic" of young adults, Adam Klugman said.
Quote:
For Adam Klugman, it's an indefensible move. His father's career spanned more than five decades and included lead-actor Emmys for acclaimed series "The Defenders" in 1961 and "The Odd Couple" in 1971 and '73. He died last December at age 90.
"What about the people who should be introduced to somebody like my father?" he said. "I don't mean to say anything disparaging about Cory, but he was a kid who had won no Emmys and it was a self-induced tragedy

These are all quotes from the MSN news story. I don't see where he had to "tear someone else down".

Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,948,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
For the Emmys to ignore the death of a young rising star like Corey Monteith would be truly bizarre given his popularity. The unfortunate circumstances of his death do not diminish his talent or worth nor do they define him.

I also agree that Jack Klugman should be honored individually as well - the industry should pay attention to its relevant history. But being realistic - Quincy went off the air 30 years ago. Probably half of the viewing audience would be too young to remember him.
It is unfortunate that his son felt the need to tear down someone else to portray the importance or his Dad.
I agree. Corey Monteith was extremely popular at the time of his death and had a very bright career ahead of him. His tragic death had a big impact on Hollywood this year and that is why he is being honored.

It's sad that anyone would complain about someone getting a tribute. They are acting like the tribute is an Emmy category to compete for. It's not a contest.

If Jack Klugman's sons want him to have a individual tribute than they should do that for him on their own with their friends and family. Not complain when someone else doesn't do it for them. It makes them look incredibly petty.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,365,797 times
What an unforgiveable act on the Emmy's part. Just disgusting. Just another example of how self-centered and youth obsessed this country is now. SMH. Why couldn't they have had a three-way tribute? That kid did nothing to deserve this tribute all alone. I hope Adam Klugman knows that a good portion of America agrees and commiserates with him.

We loved ya, Jack. WE appreciated your career.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,648,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Nothing short of criminal. Klugman's portrayal of Oscar Madison was ingenious.
Also his brilliant portrayals of various characters on The "Twilight Zone" episodes. His are the ones that really stand out.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 PM

10,252 posts, read 11,275,515 times
I read about Klugman's son yesterday. It's truly sad, that people are forgetting the oldies, but goodies.

I loved Klugman(great actor)... I don't even know who this other person was(Corey), other than he died of an Overdose.. Not popular by me.... Not saying his death didn't impact others.. But I still didn't know who he was, until it hit the news..

Quincy was a great show and of course the Odd Couple...

Eh, No reason to watch the Emmy's anymore.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM

11,697 posts, read 12,889,970 times
I was just thinking that, Minervah^ And his performances on Kraft Theater and Playhouse 90. Jack Klugman's son spoke the truth. The Brady Bunch has been off the air for 40 years and most Millennials know all the episodes and have seen I Love Lucy. Just because a person is young, doesn't make that person stupid. What counts is how much impact there has been on societal culture and both Larry Hagman and Jack Klugman made their mark which will be remembered in televsion history. Corey who?

Old 09-22-2013, 03:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,648,981 times
I had never heard of Corey Monteith until I heard on the news that he had overdosed. It's sad that he didn't have a chance to make a name for himself in his profession. There is no way anyone could put someone with such a short career in the same category with someone like Jack Klugman who had such a long distinguished one.

To me, the measure of a performer is how versatile and how well she or he does their craft. The greatest measure is how long they are able to sustain that ability. Klugman was known by generations of TV watchers because he was a great actor. That's what the Emmy's should be all about. I think it is more of a popularity contest today. That's why I am not very interested in watching it. The acting ability of those mentioned seem to be secondary to how many hits they get on Social Media venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV