Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:01 PM

259 posts, read 708,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasisTeacher View Post
Well, places like AZ and FL have large retirement communities that do not want to pay any property taxes. Tucson is largely a service-oriented city that caters to the older population. Schooling is a LAST priority for these "near-dead's" and so they vote for anti-education representatives, they vote against bond-overrides etc.

Old-style culture comes with the retiree's as well. This is the state that was against Martin-Luther King day, and refused to give Obama an honorary degree.
Near-dead's my eye.
But you're right about one thing, were holding all the cards, or did you say money. Speak up sonny I can't hear ya

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,375,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Well, thanks for the kind thought, ZP, but I was in fact, just playin'. I don't even know what the context was at this point, but clearly (to me at least, since I know me ) I was taking a little poke at PC and relativism. It's an easy target.
Oh... oooops... okay... gotcha...

Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Well, places like AZ and FL have large retirement communities that do not want to pay any property taxes. Tucson is largely a service-oriented city that caters to the older population. Schooling is a LAST priority for these "near-dead's" and so they vote for anti-education representatives, they vote against bond-overrides etc.

Old-style culture comes with the retiree's as well. This is the state that was against Martin-Luther King day, and refused to give Obama an honorary degree.
Good thing you're a teacher... I'd hate to think what'd be coming out of your mouth if you were uneducated!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 PM

602 posts, read 2,070,857 times
Quote:
...Schooling is a LAST priority for these "near-dead's" and so they vote for anti-education representatives, they vote against bond-overrides etc.

Near-deads? Wow. Nice.

Probably would be good to figure out what is, in fact, breaking the economy in places like Arizona, Florida, and California and Texas, instead of scapegoating the elderly, who, it's a good bet, paid into the system their entire lives, and can vote for whomever they think best represents them.

I wouldn't disparage the elderly. America was preeminent in many respects during their prime years, so "old-style culture" was a pretty successful model (as compared to today). That's a whole different can of worms though, and likely belongs in the politics forum.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM

683 posts, read 2,657,644 times
Quote:
This is the state that was against Martin-Luther King day
But it was also the only state where the citizens voted to approve a Martin Luther King holiday. I wonder how that vote would have gone in some other states.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,758,553 times
Quote:

The fact that you’re a teacher says a lot about what’s wrong with our education system. Your disdain for the “near dead” and how they don’t support schools is inexcusable for someone in a position to influence our children. Property Taxes are not optional! And no I am not one of them! Many of these “near dead” live in homes 500 thousand and up, and their property taxes fund the schools just like everyone else. And as previously stated, they have earned the right to vote for whomever they choose. This is our country’s greatest generation. They are children of the Great Depression, as teens and young adults they went to war to give us our freedoms, upon returning home with grit and hard work they turned this nation into the industrial power of the world. With ingenuity and slide rules they put a man on the moon. No Ipods and Blackberries to find their way to the nearest Sushi bar! As time takes it toll, we are slowly loosing a generation of heroes, it saddens me to think that today’s children, through our education system, will know little of their grandparents/great grandparents feats because of the myopic self centered prejudices of some of our educators.

Your lack of respect for this generation is disgusting. But hey, don't worry about that, let's focus on the REALLY important issues like Obama not getting his honorary degree. Good job teach!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 41,250 times
here here basisteach !! i support your statement.

and i have found that the current crop of elderly here in tucson are greedy grabbers who have theirs and do NOT want to support the community, the schools, the teacher, the working people and families. luckily, in my family, the previous generations had a GREAT sense of passing on education and money to the nexxt generation to create a better world. so i have a sense of a better way to be old and die.

two other points .........

while i hate hate HATE the education system i arizona, i have to say that teachers are better than they have EVER been, working for poverty wages to pass on knowledge and values. my teenage kid has had some FABULOUS teachers in her career, primarily advanced math and science, and we truly appreciate your talents and the sacrifices you have to make to give of them. just want you to know that many of us are wise to the score of what is REALLY going down. you have to work inside of corrupt apthetic systems to do what you do.

for the old people who are dying .................... i collect vintage clothes and tucson is the BEST place on the planet to pick up fabu duds from other time periods because so many people come here to die and their families unload great quality things at zero money. keep up the good work, dying people !!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:03 AM

259 posts, read 708,098 times
If our public schools focused on the three R's instead of "political indoctrination" poor little Johnny would have a much better chance of getting an education.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,758,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantOut456 View Post
luckily, in my family, the previous generations had a GREAT sense of passing on education and money to the nexxt generation to create a better world. so i have a sense of a better way to be old and die.
So why didn't your family have the GREAT sense to leave you enough money to GetOut, instead you can only WantOut.
Better go ask daddy for a bigger allowance.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantOut456 View Post
here here basisteach !! i support your statement.

and i have found that the current crop of elderly here in tucson are greedy grabbers who have theirs and do NOT want to support the community, the schools, the teacher, the working people and families. luckily, in my family, the previous generations had a GREAT sense of passing on education and money to the nexxt generation to create a better world. so i have a sense of a better way to be old and die.

two other points .........

while i hate hate HATE the education system i arizona, i have to say that teachers are better than they have EVER been, working for poverty wages to pass on knowledge and values. my teenage kid has had some FABULOUS teachers in her career, primarily advanced math and science, and we truly appreciate your talents and the sacrifices you have to make to give of them. just want you to know that many of us are wise to the score of what is REALLY going down. you have to work inside of corrupt apthetic systems to do what you do.

for the old people who are dying .................... i collect vintage clothes and tucson is the BEST place on the planet to pick up fabu duds from other time periods because so many people come here to die and their families unload great quality things at zero money. keep up the good work, dying people !!!!!!!!!!
Another "brainiac".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson