Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:01 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,412,439 times

Advertisements

For some time now, I have been looking for the right place to move to get away from the terrible NE Ohio weather. For a short time, I had taken a job in South Carolina, but as a liberal, non-religious, vegetarian, I found it wasn't quite the place for me.

I've checked out the NW (Portland), but I think the gray skies all the time would make me depressed.

As for Tucson, I lived there (very) briefly in 2000, and absolutely loved the natural beauty of the area, and the weather (I can take 100+ in July over 0 in January any day). I also enjoyed some other aspects of Tucson, such as 4th Avenue.

Having seen some of the legislation and views coming from Jan Brewer and others, I realize that Arizona is hardly a liberal-friendly state. But from everything I can tell, Tucson is a bit different from the rest of the state when it comes to political climate.

Am I reading things correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 04:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,726,597 times
Arizona has a lot of older voters that have traditionally voted Republican. That may change in the next four years. Many people think Arizona will flip to a Blue State. I don't think the Governor is all that conservative. She supported part of Obamacare the Medicaid expansion. The Tea Party really seems to be on the wane. Phoenix and Tucson are basically Democratic cities with the suburbs tilting the state Red. In particular the heavy concentration of seniors in areas like Sun City typically vote Republican. Lots of young people in Phoenix area and when they start voting a shift will begin. Republican Senator McCain isn't that conservative and Senator Flake has angered many conservatives. I think Arizona will be more like Nevada and New Mexico in the future and lean Democrat.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,741,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Arizona has a lot of older voters that have traditionally voted Republican. That may change in the next four years. Many people think Arizona will flip to a Blue State. I don't think the Governor is all that conservative. She supported part of Obamacare the Medicaid expansion. The Tea Party really seems to be on the wane. Phoenix and Tucson are basically Democratic cities with the suburbs tilting the state Red. In particular the heavy concentration of seniors in areas like Sun City typically vote Republican. Lots of young people in Phoenix area and when they start voting a shift will begin. Republican Senator McCain isn't that conservative and Senator Flake has angered many conservatives. I think Arizona will be more like Nevada and New Mexico in the future and lean Democrat.
I live in Tempe and I do not see Maricopa County tilting Blue anytime soon. The problem is twofold. The old guard politically,many of which are LDS, unfortunately have a large influence over many of the PHX suburbs. East Mesa and Gilbert especially. Tempe is about as Libertarian as I can find and love it. I'm a Libertarian BTW. The second issue is the continual migration of conservative Midwestern transplants as well as So Cal.LA County may be Blue but Orange and San Diego are not and most of the newcomers from So Cal are from OC and SD. Newcomers from these regions have and will continue tot tilt Maricopa County red. Meaning the state will stay red even though Tucson and Flagstaff lean Blue.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 PM

205 posts, read 731,536 times
It's becoming nonsensical to label states conservative versus liberal. If we ever get off the antiquated electoral college, it will become quite evident what I'm talking about. But, we aren't to delve into politics here so let's just say that yes, Tucson is a big more open minded than some other areas of the state. I've met, and befriended, Vegans, Gays, Wickens (yes, Wickens) and gasp, even Democrats (I am a diehard Republican but socially liberal). I get the impression that most people really don't care what your political views are, how you live your life or how you cast your vote as long as you don't negatively impact those around you. Plus, we are a college town and except in the deep south, most college towns tend to be a bit more libertarian. There is a strong Catholic population because of the Hispanic influence but no one that I've met tries to push their religious beliefs on anyone else.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
It's becoming nonsensical to label states conservative versus liberal. If we ever get off the antiquated electoral college, it will become quite evident what I'm talking about. But, we aren't to delve into politics here so let's just say that yes, Tucson is a big more open minded than some other areas of the state. I've met, and befriended, Vegans, Gays, Wickens (yes, Wickens) and gasp, even Democrats (I am a diehard Republican but socially liberal). I get the impression that most people really don't care what your political views are, how you live your life or how you cast your vote as long as you don't negatively impact those around you. Plus, we are a college town and except in the deep south, most college towns tend to be a bit more libertarian. There is a strong Catholic population because of the Hispanic influence but no one that I've met tries to push their religious beliefs on anyone else.
Thanks Tom.....Yes, I was looking more for information about Tucson than about Arizona in general.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,112,811 times
all kinds here, as there is anywhere....you'll do fine in Tucson....

(now about that vegetarian thing.....!!)

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
all kinds here, as there is anywhere....you'll do fine in Tucson....

(now about that vegetarian thing.....!!)
I realize that all places have "all kinds". But some have far less diversity than others. Having lived in South Carolina, however, I am aware that some places have a totally different social climate than others. South Carolinians shun anyone who isn't a church going conservative. I loved the weather there, but felt so unwelcome, I moved back to my home state of Ohio.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,726,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I realize that all places have "all kinds". But some have far less diversity than others. Having lived in South Carolina, however, I am aware that some places have a totally different social climate than others. South Carolinians shun anyone who isn't a church going conservative. I loved the weather there, but felt so unwelcome, I moved back to my home state of Ohio.

Most place in Arizona arent at all like that unless you were to move to a smaller community that hasnt seen much growth. 75% of the people in Tucson werent in Tucson 20 years ago. Most of the communities are very friendly around Tucson. The area I live in I would estimate only 10% or so are native Arizonans.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Most place in Arizona arent at all like that unless you were to move to a smaller community that hasnt seen much growth. 75% of the people in Tucson werent in Tucson 20 years ago. Most of the communities are very friendly around Tucson. The area I live in I would estimate only 10% or so are native Arizonans.
Thank you. That's good to hear.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,744,007 times
[quote=jimdc58;30691350 But from everything I can tell, Tucson is a bit different from the rest of the state when it comes to political climate.

Am I reading things correctly?[/quote]

That district barely went Democrat in the last election. Took several days after the election to declare the winner. I see that as a swing district for the next decade or so. You have to remember that a lot of conservatives move to Arizona because of the politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson