Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,337,020 times

Advertisements

I moved to Arizona eight years ago. I previously lived in Washington, DC; the state of Washington; New Jersey, and several places in Pennsylvania (city of Pittsburgh longest and most recently). I have traveled (and lived temporarily) all over the country for business and I am a political liberal. That info is just to tell you where I'm coming from. There are some things I don't care for about living here. But they are mostly attributable to the fact that I am an urban, rather than suburban person, and I currently find myself as a homeowner in the NW suburb of Tucson. I feel a bit trapped since I bought my house at what turned out to be the height of the real estate market and it will be a long time before I recover from loss of perceived-value in my home.

That said, those are not your issues. To address those specifically:

1. Tucson is definitely the solution to your weather problem. What you remember about Tucson hasn't changed. Physical beauty, lots of sun, great weather eight months of the year. If you'd take four months of 90+ temps over four months of snow and ice, come on down.

2. I've met more vegetarians (not to mention vegans and the gluten intolerant) in Tucson than any place I ever lived before.

3. I feel your pain about Portland. It IS a great city but the gray skies are unavoidable and seem almost unceasing. If you don't have seasonal affective disorder now, you'll get it there. Super-hip vibe doesn't make up for that in my opinion.

4. I was spending time in Tucson as far back as the mid-1990s (I have family here) and I don't see Fourth Avenue as having changed that much. If you like it then, you'll like it now. The core of the city is funky and I don't mean that as a diss. It's not for everyone — for those who prefer manicured suburbia or desert-chic, we have that, too, just not downtown.

5. Yes, the state of Arizona is governed by hardcore conservatives and much of what goes on here looks really bone-headed to some of the rest of the country. But Arizona conservatism leans libertarian. Even though Evangelicals and Mormons have a stronghold here, to date they aren't the soul of the Republican Party in AZ. That would be libertarianism of the Rand-Paul-we-don't-need-no-stinkin-handicap-access-laws variety. That attitude's one good side is more of a genuine live-and-let-live attitude than I have experienced in the Southeast. My personal opinion: Southwest conservatives are more interested in their pocketbooks and their personal freedom, as opposed to the Southeast, where many place their Christian social values above either of those things.

Tucson has conservatives, especially in the suburbs where retirees live in great numbers, but the city is Democratic and I believe it will remain that way. The university is too strong a presence in Tucson for global warming deniers or the anti-gay crowd to be the governing body. Tucson is much more culturally diverse than Phoenix. ASU has a similar presence in Tempe (its mayor is Democratic, as is the mayor of the City of Phoenix), but surrounding Phoenix is so big, Tempe's youthful attitudes are dwarfed. I don't mean this to be rude, just a fact based on census data: statewide, whether or not Arizona eventually goes the political way of New Mexico and Nevada, depends on whether or not Latinos procreate faster than Mormons.
I think a person who describes themselves as "a liberal, non-religious, vegetarian" will find many kindred spirits in Tucson. You haven't mentioned a job ... is that a factor for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,723,382 times
Tucson no doubt feels way smaller than the 500000 plus city proper. It's a city at a crossroads. Does it want to develop into a major city at risk of obstructing natural beauty or will there be gripes about the east west logjams from eastside to westside until the end of time ?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That district barely went Democrat in the last election. Took several days after the election to declare the winner. I see that as a swing district for the next decade or so. You have to remember that a lot of conservatives move to Arizona because of the politics.
There is a big difference between the District and the City. Assuming you are talking CD2 (Ron Barber), it has a large chunk of the City cut out on the west side and includes the very conservative Cochise County.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I moved to Arizona eight years ago. I previously lived in Washington, DC; the state of Washington; New Jersey, and several places in Pennsylvania (city of Pittsburgh longest and most recently). I have traveled (and lived temporarily) all over the country for business and I am a political liberal. That info is just to tell you where I'm coming from. There are some things I don't care for about living here. But they are mostly attributable to the fact that I am an urban, rather than suburban person, and I currently find myself as a homeowner in the NW suburb of Tucson. I feel a bit trapped since I bought my house at what turned out to be the height of the real estate market and it will be a long time before I recover from loss of perceived-value in my home.

That said, those are not your issues. To address those specifically:

1. Tucson is definitely the solution to your weather problem. What you remember about Tucson hasn't changed. Physical beauty, lots of sun, great weather eight months of the year. If you'd take four months of 90+ temps over four months of snow and ice, come on down.

2. I've met more vegetarians (not to mention vegans and the gluten intolerant) in Tucson than any place I ever lived before.

3. I feel your pain about Portland. It IS a great city but the gray skies are unavoidable and seem almost unceasing. If you don't have seasonal affective disorder now, you'll get it there. Super-hip vibe doesn't make up for that in my opinion.

4. I was spending time in Tucson as far back as the mid-1990s (I have family here) and I don't see Fourth Avenue as having changed that much. If you like it then, you'll like it now. The core of the city is funky and I don't mean that as a diss. It's not for everyone — for those who prefer manicured suburbia or desert-chic, we have that, too, just not downtown.

5. Yes, the state of Arizona is governed by hardcore conservatives and much of what goes on here looks really bone-headed to some of the rest of the country. But Arizona conservatism leans libertarian. Even though Evangelicals and Mormons have a stronghold here, to date they aren't the soul of the Republican Party in AZ. That would be libertarianism of the Rand-Paul-we-don't-need-no-stinkin-handicap-access-laws variety. That attitude's one good side is more of a genuine live-and-let-live attitude than I have experienced in the Southeast. My personal opinion: Southwest conservatives are more interested in their pocketbooks and their personal freedom, as opposed to the Southeast, where many place their Christian social values above either of those things.

Tucson has conservatives, especially in the suburbs where retirees live in great numbers, but the city is Democratic and I believe it will remain that way. The university is too strong a presence in Tucson for global warming deniers or the anti-gay crowd to be the governing body. Tucson is much more culturally diverse than Phoenix. ASU has a similar presence in Tempe (its mayor is Democratic, as is the mayor of the City of Phoenix), but surrounding Phoenix is so big, Tempe's youthful attitudes are dwarfed. I don't mean this to be rude, just a fact based on census data: statewide, whether or not Arizona eventually goes the political way of New Mexico and Nevada, depends on whether or not Latinos procreate faster than Mormons.
I think a person who describes themselves as "a liberal, non-religious, vegetarian" will find many kindred spirits in Tucson. You haven't mentioned a job ... is that a factor for you?
Jukesgrrl.....Thank you very much for that detailed analysis. That helps immensely, and it's good to hear it from the perspective of another liberal.

(Fortunately, I don't have to worry about job hunting too much, as I am at a point in my life where I will be looking for a job to have fun, not because I MUST work. I'm sure glad I saved all these years.)

Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM

175 posts, read 607,608 times
It's funny. For all the years I lived in Tucson none of the liberal, non-religious, vegetarian, Gay, Wiccans I knew hated me for being a Christian conservative meat loving straight white heterosexual male. I always try and treat others the way I'd like to be treated. Would I probably agree with your viewpoints on life? Most likely not, but it wouldn't stop me from being your friend or neighbor. Would I try and strike up a conversation to debate the pros and cons to either viewpoints in life? Sure. But since I've visited, not lived in places where narrow mindedness hits both sides of the aisle, then it would NOT stop me from moving somewhere I wanted to. I like the idea that Arizona does(or at least used to) have an laid back old west kind of mentality still going on. I happened to like the conservative mindset there. But that's just who I am and my opinion. I don't agree with the Liberal mentality in America, but you don't agree with the Conservative side either. So unless you're going to consider Tucson with the intent it will eventually be more liberal than conservative-I'm not sure that's ever going to happen there. I could be wrong. Have been plenty of times in life..I didn't move to Tucson for anything but the sun and the mountains and to escape mid-west winters. I never had any problems with being labeled anything but someone's friend. I wish you well.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:08 AM

67 posts, read 224,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Most place in Arizona arent at all like that unless you were to move to a smaller community that hasnt seen much growth. 75% of the people in Tucson werent in Tucson 20 years ago. Most of the communities are very friendly around Tucson. The area I live in I would estimate only 10% or so are native Arizonans.
Very true. Just thinking of the people we hang with in our group-- we're from Texas-- have friends from Seattle, New York State, Michigan, California, New York State (again), Illinois, Florida....it is a pretty mixed bunch out here. I'm always surprised when I meet a "native," and usually that is someone who moved to the area around the age of 13/14.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM

591 posts, read 822,718 times
If you're a liberal, irreligious, vegetarian, then Tucson should fit you like a glove.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM

136 posts, read 262,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
If you're a liberal, irreligious, vegetarian, then Tucson should fit you like a glove.

Liberals are irreligious? Didn't know. Good info. I'll pass that along to all my devout Christian meat eating family members. Thanks for the information. Pass the kale please.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonothimagain View Post
It's funny. For all the years I lived in Tucson none of the liberal, non-religious, vegetarian, Gay, Wiccans I knew hated me for being a Christian conservative meat loving straight white heterosexual male. I always try and treat others the way I'd like to be treated. Would I probably agree with your viewpoints on life? Most likely not, but it wouldn't stop me from being your friend or neighbor. Would I try and strike up a conversation to debate the pros and cons to either viewpoints in life? Sure. But since I've visited, not lived in places where narrow mindedness hits both sides of the aisle, then it would NOT stop me from moving somewhere I wanted to. I like the idea that Arizona does(or at least used to) have an laid back old west kind of mentality still going on. I happened to like the conservative mindset there. But that's just who I am and my opinion. I don't agree with the Liberal mentality in America, but you don't agree with the Conservative side either. So unless you're going to consider Tucson with the intent it will eventually be more liberal than conservative-I'm not sure that's ever going to happen there. I could be wrong. Have been plenty of times in life..I didn't move to Tucson for anything but the sun and the mountains and to escape mid-west winters. I never had any problems with being labeled anything but someone's friend. I wish you well.
Thanks for your point of view. I guess my concerns come mainly from two things, my experience in South Carolina (which DOESN'T live and let live), and a concern about state politicians and their hostility toward those who don't hold their point of view. I'm currently in Ohio, and our state government is proving itself to be outright hostile to those that are NOT conservatives.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,008 times
I see Tucson as a little blue spot in a red state. I don't know how true that is - just my perception, as I've only been here a year. It's like Tucson is Arizona's version of Austin ...maybe?

I was shocked to learn AZ had medical marijuana laws. Like Jukesgrrl, I too, have met more vegetarians here than anywhere else. Of course I moved from the South and previously lived in Texas so it's all relative I suppose. The gay community seems more out here (again, perhaps relative).

McCain is significantly more polarizing than I expected. I'm not sure I understand why yet.

I'm a Libertarian meat-on-the-side eater, if that makes a difference. L's are typically live and let live, but even as a third-party member I have felt very comfortable here. I don't typically make it a habit to talk about religion or politics so that certainly helps! (I never understood debating politics or religion. People think what they think, why argue about it?) I've been politely invited to churches, from Baptist to LDS to non-denominational, but never ever pressured. I think churches everywhere are starting to understand pressure doesn't work.

And I LOVE the sunshine. I definitely underestimated how much that impacts me. I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson