Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,086,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
A serial sexual predator about whom many knew of his actions ... and to protect the football team and the University they did nothing. The lives of the young people meant nothing to those with authority. Convict him. Send him away for life. Fire the administsrators who knew. Bar the University's athletic teams from NCAA competition for a decade. And make the University suffer financially, really big. Hundreds of millions of $$$ as a signal to the other institutions where I've no doubt similar things happen.
Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I disagree that there should be a payout for these guys if he's found guilty...from the University or really otherwise.
I'd rather see that they get therapy and the money be donated somewhere appropriate.
I'm a child molestation/rape survivor, I didn't get a payday, and most others don't ...but these guys were "lucky" enough to have some rich guy affiliated with a big university molest them so they get $$$?
Yeah, no... I don't think they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,662,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I disagree that there should be a payout for these guys if he's found guilty...from the University or really otherwise.
I'd rather see that they get therapy and the money be donated somewhere appropriate.
I'm a child molestation/rape survivor, I didn't get a payday, and most others don't ...but these guys were "lucky" enough to have some rich guy affiliated with a big university molest them so they get $$$?
When the Sandusky case first hit the press, with talk of cover-ups, I didn't see a problem with lawsuits against him or the University.

When potential lawsuits hovering in the air, it takes the focus away from the crime, gives defense reason to discredit the victims motives for coming forward.

IMO, defense shouldn't be permitted to talk about civil suits and monetary gain before jurors.

Jurors either believe they were victimized and a crime was committed, or they don't, based on testimony.

Last edited by virgode; 06-15-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

79,135 posts, read 61,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Again, I asked you for a specific charge from anyone connected with Penn State in an official capacity. I'm not attempting to deny, or even downplay the seriousness of the charges, only the motives of a clique who saw an opportunity to link the individual to the instituion for ideolgical and, possibly financial purposes, (and who for obvious reasons, BTW, don't want the sophistication of their efforts brought into the spotlight).

Below is a link to local coverage:

Riot at Penn State is most costly, destructive in 15 years, State College police chief says | PennLive.com

What happened here was a half-dozen idiots taking their frustrartions out on one (local, BTW) media vehicle ... no smashed storefronts, no police officers assaulted ..... nothing on a par with Chicago, Seattle and the other OWS tantrums

The usual inflammatory rhetoric for the back-benchers.
1. With regards to the riots, nytimes has the full recount and yes, throwing bottles, rocks, fireworks at police is assaulting them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/sp...is-ousted.html

2. When the scandal first broke, Paterno himself in a press conference questioned the motivations of the accusers. (financial) It's since become impossible to find on the web because it's ill to speak of the dead.

3. Wow, Penn State has a serial child molestor imbedded in their football program....one caught in the act no less....and swept it under the rug. And now YOU have the nerve to blame it on a conspiracy to try to attack Penn State? Have you no shame?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Some states have injury funds where punitive damages etc. go into the funds to help in cases like you described.

I 100% agree. Good post.

If you get hit by a pepsi truck driven by a drunk and I get hit by a beat up car driven without insurance by a penniless person driving drunk.....you get the big payday and I get medical bills.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,086,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Some states have injury funds where punitive damages etc. go into the funds to help in cases like you described.

I 100% agree. Good post.

If you get hit by a pepsi truck driven by a drunk and I get hit by a beat up car driven without insurance by a penniless person driving drunk.....you get the big payday and I get medical bills.
That's what i think should be done. They should get a set "x" amount/limit that everyone is able to get and therapy. Make it reasonable ...any extra awarded goes into a pool to cover for those who wouldn't get because the guilty party had no assets

Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM

14,205 posts, read 22,871,864 times
Quote:
Aw....it's the evil media and "nefarious forces" out to get PA state.

Sorry, but I think raping little kids is wrong, unlike what you learned in college.
I think it's wrong too, and so do the people in Centre County, PA. Oops, looks like a giant chasm between perception and reality!

You and your ilk better hope to God that you're correct about your assertions against Joe Paterno, though, because if you're wrong, then your credibility goes bye-bye forever. (No, we don't know all the facts.)

Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think it's wrong too, and so do the people in Centre County, PA. Oops, looks like a giant chasm between perception and reality!

You and your ilk better hope to God that you're correct about your assertions against Joe Paterno, though, because if you're wrong, then your credibility goes bye-bye forever. (No, we don't know all the facts.)
Assertions against Paterno?

I personally believe that Paterno was naive and getting up there in the years and just couldn't absorb the gravity of what had occurred. He also reported the incident but nothing was done after that.

He initially defended Sandusky, as many had done but then later asked people to pray for the victims and even interceded WHEN PA STATE FANS HARASSED ONE VICTIM that came forward.

So truth be told, I respect Joe Paterno and we all make mistakes in judgement especially when it's a longtime friend or family member and we just dont want to believe it.

My disdain is squarely aimed at the PA state fans in utter denial or just worried their football team will be *bad* due to penalties. Most people don't think this way, I didn't claim otherwise.

P.S. My ilk? Maybe look around at the thread and look for those still trying to handwave for the University and pin the whole thing on Sandusky? I mean gee...no one caught him molesting a young boy in the shower or anything right? Oh well, at least they went to a bowl game this year after all. Talk about no credibility.........

Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

BTW...your article is anecdotal garbage, no poll....but it's interesting how one shop owner won't give their opinion because it would be "bad for business".

Interesting......

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM

14,205 posts, read 22,871,864 times
Quote:
BTW...your article is anecdotal garbage, no poll....but it's interesting how one shop owner won't give their opinion because it would be "bad for business".

Interesting......
Maybe she just doesn't believe that it's good to talk about pedophilia when serving coffee. I'd tend to agree with her. Besides, she's the one who said that the overwhelming majority of people she's heard believe that he's guilty.

And "anecdotal garbage" has more validity than baseless assumptions like Joe Paterno supposedly being the second-most powerful man in Pennsylvania. If there's anybody putting Paterno on a pedestal, it's those people with their claims of his omnipotence.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,756,673 times
News, Who is Dottie Sandusky?

The shocking details emerging from the Jerry Sandusky trial are raising a lot of questions about his wife of 46 years, Dottie Sandusky.

The prosecution could wrap up its case by Thursday afternoon, and the defense may begin presenting its case Friday. Dottie Sandusky is expected to testify in support of her husband, but she hasn't been in court with him so far because she's a potential witness. Witnesses aren't allowed in the courtroom until the judge permits them.

Who is Dottie Sandusky? | HLNtv.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime