Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,437,336 times

Advertisements

Good thing Jose was not "Pinnochio".

Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 PM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
All speculation what Baez threw out there to muddy up what the facts were.
Like what?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,437,336 times
There is a big difference in regular posters on this board who analyze crime, and discuss cases with rational logic, and those who post simply to be arbitrary, and contentious. I work with someone like this, I say black, she says white, for no other reason than to provoke antaganism.

There is nothing wrong with opposing view points, and contrasting opinions. But there has been an unpleasant "tone" recently. Let's all stay friendly, and not be rude.

Many of us are interested in the Casey Anthony trial, it is sensational, and because I live in the area, it has been very personal. I will fully admit personal animosity towards Casey Anthony, people here searched for her child, looking for a live child. Not knowing that the Mother spun a fantastic web of lies. Why would any Mother with a missing child do that? Orlando had pictures of Caylee everywhere, and people were trying to think if they had seen her, to give the police information to help the police find her, alive. The people of Orlando were horribly betrayed, and felt personal grief when Caylee was found, dead.

It is difficult for many of us to accept that a child can be found in a trash bag in a ditch, with duct tape attatched to the hair on her skull, and no one is held accountable for that. If Caylee had died in a tragic accident, she should have been buried in a pretty white coffin, with pink satin, not thrown in a trash bag and dumped in a swamp. Can we all agree on that issue?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:57 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,644,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is a big difference in regular posters on this board who analyze crime, and discuss cases with rational logic, and those who post simply to be arbitrary, and contentious. I work with someone like this, I say black, she says white, for no other reason than to provoke antaganism.

There is nothing wrong with opposing view points, and contrasting opinions. But there has been an unpleasant "tone" recently. Let's all stay friendly, and not be rude.

Many of us are interested in the Casey Anthony trial, it is sensational, and because I live in the area, it has been very personal. I will fully admit personal animosity towards Casey Anthony, people here searched for her child, looking for a live child. Not knowing that the Mother spun a fantastic web of lies. Why would any Mother with a missing child do that? Orlando had pictures of Caylee everywhere, and people were trying to think if they had seen her, to give the police information to help the police find her, alive. The people of Orlando were horribly betrayed, and felt personal grief when Caylee was found, dead.

It is difficult for many of us to accept that a child can be found in a trash bag in a ditch, with duct tape attatched to the hair on her skull, and no one is held accountable for that. If Caylee had died in a tragic accident, she should have been buried in a pretty white coffin, with pink satin, not thrown in a trash bag and dumped in a swamp. Can we all agree on that issue?
Well said Jasper!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,662,900 times
Quote:

Thanks Jasper for putting into words what most of us are feeling.
I say most because it seems that a few are definately here to argue, be right and get the last word.
The rest are trying to make some sense out of this and trying to get some closure.
She should have been in a pretty dress too with beautiful flowers all around.
It is too sad for words.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM

5,343 posts, read 8,574,342 times
Quote:

Have to say I agree. I don't live in the Orlando area, but I've followed this case from the very beginning.

I've been an avid reader of true crime going back to the first true crime book I ever read which was in 7th grade (looking back, I wonder why my parents weren't paying more attention to what I was reading - the book I read that year was about a truly horrific crime and it wasn't appropriate for someone that age).

I digress....

I have not based my opinions about this case on the hyperbole on TV. Yes, I have watched some of the TV coverage, but I am not that easily swayed by things like that. I have a skeptical mind.

Reading many of the documents from this case- transcripts, etc, has been much more interesting and revealing, frankly.

Even now, I feel like I truly do not know what happened to Cayley.

I think that many aspects of the evidence make it appear as if Casey was involved in her death and disposal in some manner.

But I think the actions and statements by her family members starting from the very beginning when they first learned Caylee was missing have greatly clouded the waters. And that makes me really wonder about the motivations and dynamics in this family.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,338,327 times
Wonderful post Jasper! I didn't realize you lived in Orlando. I would've invited you to be my guest at the open panel discussion at the Orlando Sentinel yesterday!! The four reporters who attended the trial, as well as Bill Shaeffer (channel 9), was there. I don't know that there was any NEW info since so much was always reported, but it was nice just to talk it out.

I think what many people aren't grasping is it isn't that we don't respect a jury verdict, but THIS JURY, made a decision based on there not being cause of death which was totally not needed for a circumstantial case. I think the dollar signs and notoriety of the case clouded up their heads. Until they began to speak, I don't think anyone realized exactly what went wrong until they started doing interviews and didn't even realize they were making decisions BEYOND their scope.

I also agree that on a local level, this whole thing was VERY personal. It wasn't just a news story, it was missing child posters we saw for months, places we know and streets we drive.

I wish the public would ban together and agree to totally shun Casey and not give her the attention she wants. If we could just blow her off, it would be a worse punishment than jail.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
but THIS JURY, made a decision based on there not being cause of death which was totally not needed for a circumstantial case.
The problem with that is that the defense team took this out of the "circumstantial case" arena when they admitted that Caylee died in the pool. By doing that they put another plausible explanation on the table and forced the prosecution to play to a much higher standard, which they could not do.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 PM

33,596 posts, read 18,237,546 times
Quote:

I agree...

This case is frustrating for all who know the evidence and heard the verdict. Most of us wanted justice and are angry when it is not found. I know I expected a guilty verdict on the death of Caylee.

It must be very personal for many who spent time looking and trying to help find Caylee.
I don't have any sympathy for Casey . She spun more lies and will continue to behave in an unsuitable manner unless she has an awakening and wants real closure and has remorse for what she has done to Caylee and to her parents and to all who got involved with this case. I am not holding my breath.

I do feel for the parents. I believe Casey had alot to do with their family problems and I know that Cindy is a mother torn between her love for her daughter and her granddaughter. I would not want to be in her shoes. George had all kind of accusations thrown at him and I know it must have taken a toll on him and the marriage . It was a nightmare they have to live with.

Caylee will be remembered by all who worked on looking for her. I bet many searchers went around on there own looking for Caylee hoping to find her. It was very sad when they found her.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,489,176 times
Isn't it interesting that in corporate law (in comparison with criminal law) that it is commonplace to have as part of the signature page an agreement that if a legal challenge is made against the law firm that handled the deal or its client that a bench trial (with a judge or judges) will take place to decide the matter...in lieu of a jury trial that is composed of people without legal understanding that decides the matter. Too bad that's not how criminal law is handled instead of where 'peers' are chosen for the jury who rarely have any legal background or understanding of law...and are often more than just ignorant, but downright stupid.

Last edited by highcotton; 07-16-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime