Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,993,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Some do not want this crime solved. I think we can surmise why. People with ethics and a moral compass rarely go into criminal defense law.

Posting yet again the last word on this case, and his book clearly explains quite a bit.

Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?: A. James Kolar: 9780984763207: Amazon.com: Books

Foreign Faction, is a sarcastic commentary on the confabulated "ransom note".
I don't think the majority of people who go into law have a strong moral compass. Don't forget that in schools they teach you to represent both sides of any case. I don't think you are supposed to be using your own personal value judgments. They get in the way of representing your client to the best of your ability.

I went to a Catholic college. I would meet with a group of kids in a solarium to just chew the fat. The group (large) was pre law - a smart group. I asked each of them why they chose law, expecting some philosophical insights and lofty ideals. Each of them answered in basically one word - money. So sad.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
That's what should have ended speculation. You think she would have done that if a stranger truly killed her child? Um how about "no."
about the ransom note-
many people seem to base their belief that the parents did it on a few common factors. namely-

the handwriting
the fact that the parents put her in beauty pageants, which indicates some sort of creepy sexual undertone
an unwillingness to believe that strangers can enter a house and commit this sort of crime right under the
noses of the parents
"lawyering up"

first off, the DNA was no match for anyone in the house.
handwriting is an art, not a science, and it has never been proven that she wrote that note.
many parents put their children in beauty pageants. some have darker motives, albeit not so dark as to provide a motive for murder, but more along the lines of the typical stage-mother neurosis. damaging, but not murder. and by all accounts, jon benet wanted to be in the pageants, and whether a child as young as she can actually "choose" anything is open to argument, but she wasn't dragged kicking and screaming into it either. she was a cute kid, vivacious, liked to perform, the mother had been in pageants, seems like a natural and harmless choice.

and lawyering up was the smart thing to do. i would have done the same thing, especially now, when we have the benefit of hindsight and see how fallible our justice system is. you don't want to make a misstep, however innocently, that might get you convicted of a crime you didn't commit, or even brought to trial. even an acquittal can smear your rep forever. and by all accounts, this certainly destroyed the ramseys' lives, and probably hastened patsy's death.

it was a brilliant observation that someone here had, regarding how we tend to externalize when it comes to crime. they bring themselves to the crime in question, and it reflects people's knee jerk reactions as opposed to actual fact. the continual comments about people willfully ignoring evidence because they cannot bring themselves to believe the parents did it is a double edged sword. meaning, perhaps its putting one's head in the sand to surmise that a pedo killer cannot just come into your home, on christmas night, and murder and defile your daughter. it must be the parents. some believe that THAT is ignoring the facts, and sticking your head in the sand, and i am one of them. too much doesn't fit. there are many documented cases of this sort of thing happening, but none of them were as high profile as this case.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
I really can't follow your line of thinking.

What actually made you think they didn't kill her?

Patsy was obviously a southern belle and a pretty rude one at that. But when I saw her I saw a woman going through her own personal torment. She was either trying to help protect her son or her husband.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions but some people appear to be willfully sticking their heads in the sand to keep saying the parents weren't involved.
Well, see, I feel the same way about folks who continue to insist that Patsy DID have something to do with her daughter's murder.

I felt from the moment this story unfolded -- and for all these years -- that folks simply wanted to lay this case to rest and the convenient way to wrap it us is to blame that lyin' witch Patsy. After all, she forced her child to participate in Beauty Pageants!

Something about Patsy, I have noticed, really ticked off women in general -- and moreso women outside the South. I have talked to many people across this country about this case and it is just strange the way Patsy is "read."

It is certainly possible that Patsy or John (or both of them) were protecting their son, but I think more likely -- at least at the beginning -- if their son had any knowledge at all, he did not share it with his parents.

I do have a theory but I am saving it for the novel.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM

13 posts, read 16,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongandtheshortofit View Post
I think the evidence which will exonerate the Ramsey's as having staged a cover up for an accidental head injury and exonerate them from any part in the crime is the use of a weapon of torture which I believe was used by a possible paedophile gang who set up a live filming or who took film of the incident in which Jonbenet was strangled and who maybe profited by a pay per view resource or who set the crime up in this way to buy himself time to be away from the crime scene when the death occurred:

the string around Jonbenet's neck was tied in a double knot and then there were 17 inches of string and on the other end was part of a paintbrush. Jonbenet's genitals were also seen to have been stabbed by the other part of the paintbrush.

The string was not tied completely tightly around the neck but with some leeway of some milimetres.

I believe the noose was placed around her neck with the paintbrush fully intact then the paintbrush was pulled down her back and placed between her legs so the paintbrush is then at the front of her body with the wooden brush across her thighs causing her head to be raised from the ground or whatever she was placed on.

If she tries to put her head down: the noose cuts into her neck. If she strains which no doubt she did the noose tightens against the opposing side to where it is being pulled, but I believe she strained in such a way as to break the paintbrush causing it to injure her genital area and for the broken piece to spring up behind her which is still attacked to the noose.
I believe it is possible that Burke found her in this condition and tried to cut her loose and to wipe her wound, but was "caught" by an intruder known to the Ramsey family who pulled a knife and inflicted a blow to the child's head (though this could have happened prior.)
I think it is possible Burke was threatened to shut up.

It is possible the strangulation torture occured on a raised beam or platform and that when Jonbenet strained it caused her to fall and snap the paintbrush causing the gential injury and the blow to the head.

There is a secondary strangulation mark lower on the neck. We do not know how this was caused.

i do not believe the Ramseys would set up such a torture ordeal as this one for any reason whatsoever. if the object of torture was designed to buy time away from the time of death then the Ramsey's stood to gain nothing from this and I do not believe they would do this for any reason.
I have revised this idea but think i did so on another forum but not on here - not sure what i have said where, but: In revision I think the loops of the string which were around her wrists which had a piece of string between them were such that her wrists were crossed first and the loose string bound to the intact paintbrush first - before the other string was led up her back and then wound around her neck and the knot tied: so that the noose part could be adjusted for the purposes of the torture garrotte device being used for its purpose. This has been done with technical precision and not as others suggest with haste in panic - it is devised in such a way that even the measurements of string and the way it was tied prove a high degree of professionalism - the fact that one wrist loop was looser than the other does not indicate haste or clumsy staging as this is an irrelevance: with the wrists crossed and the string between looped around the stick part of the device - the child cannot escape and attempting to do so causes strangulation. I don't know if Jonbenet could have broken the paint brush herself or if someone finished her off by breaking it or even if someone tried to help to free here and this killed her - even though the head injury itself would have proved fatal without medical help.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I have revised this idea but think i did so on another forum but not on here - not sure what i have said where, but: In revision I think the loops of the string which were around her wrists which had a piece of string between them were such that her wrists were crossed first and the loose string bound to the intact paintbrush first - before the other string was led up her back and then wound around her neck and the knot tied: so that the noose part could be adjusted for the purposes of the torture garrotte device being used for its purpose. This has been done with technical precision and not as others suggest with haste in panic - it is devised in such a way that even the measurements of string and the way it was tied prove a high degree of professionalism - the fact that one wrist loop was looser than the other does not indicate haste or clumsy staging as this is an irrelevance: with the wrists crossed and the string between looped around the stick part of the device - the child cannot escape and attempting to do so causes strangulation. I don't know if Jonbenet could have broken the paint brush herself or if someone finished her off by breaking it or even if someone tried to help to free here and this killed her - even though the head injury itself would have proved fatal without medical help.
This would also explain why there was more than one mark around the child's neck - more than one ligature mark and I believe the post mortem indicates that the genital injury occurred almost simultaneously with death. It was a perimortem injury - so the strain of snapping the paintbrush inflicts the genital injury at the same time as asphyxiating the victim - in this case a little child.

Rest In Peace Little Child and God Bless us all from a world so cruel. xx

Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
This would also explain why there was more than one mark around the child's neck - more than one ligature mark and I believe the post mortem indicates that the genital injury occurred almost simultaneously with death. It was a perimortem injury - so the strain of snapping the paintbrush inflicts the genital injury at the same time as asphyxiating the victim - in this case a little child.

Rest In Peace Little Child and God Bless us all from a world so cruel. xx
Yes, God Bless her and may she rest in Peace with her mother, who loved her so much.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I don't mean for this to sound maudlin, but if you could take a doll or mannequin of some sort or do a computer graphic of how you see this, it would be so helpful in visualizing it. I think you are onto something and I would really like to have a clear mental image of how you are seeing the garrotte.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't mean for this to sound maudlin, but if you could take a doll or mannequin of some sort or do a computer graphic of how you see this, it would be so helpful in visualizing it. I think you are onto something and I would really like to have a clear mental image of how you are seeing the garrotte.
OK I will attempt to do a series of pictures for you. I don't have a doll the age of a six year old or i would have done it already as I made the device and used it on a cuddly rabbit toy (not on anything alive of course) to illustrate to family: so if I do an illustration then obviously i won't be using a precise 17 inches (as i will have to use myself as the model) and also I can't do professional or clever knots - so I will just attempt to show you what I mean somehow - without killing myself in the process - I will not put string around my neck but maybe something which won't pull tight just for illustration purposes.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
OK I will attempt to do a series of pictures for you. I don't have a doll the age of a six year old or i would have done it already as I made the device and used it on a cuddly rabbit toy (not on anything alive of course) to illustrate to family: so if I do an illustration then obviously i won't be using a precise 17 inches (as i will have to use myself as the model) and also I can't do professional or clever knots - so I will just attempt to show you what I mean somehow - without killing myself in the process - I will not put string around my neck but maybe something which won't pull tight just for illustration purposes.

Lord, don't use yourself in the demo!

A stuffed toy is fine, I would think. Just something to illustrate the methodology. It would be so helpful to have it in my mind what you have surmised.

Even if nothing is to precise measurement . . .

We need a crime lab!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,281,035 times
I have an imagination so I can see in my mind's eye what happened, if I allow myself to.

I haven't. It's just too horrific.

I'm pretty sure Patsy tortured her and John killed her.

Burke was a witness/victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.