Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,476,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTurner View Post
I'm sorry if I came off as rather imperious, but after years of engaging in these JonBenet discussions, I've have grown weary of the perpetual backpedaling that occurs every time I attempt to advance a theory that JonBenet was murdered by an intruder.

If you recall, Charisb had put forth the topic: "Why leave a note at all?"

In my post, I had proceeded to explore the topic at some length and I ended on the interrogatory note:

"No mentally organized, clear thinking intruder would have considered writing a protracted ransom note for a hostage whom he had just murdered, nor would such an individual likely have bothered to write such a ransom note if he was not seriously intent on proceeding with the kidnapping. Indeed, no clear thinking individual would have even considered writing a ransom note at such an awkward time in the first place. He would have simply taken JonBenet hostage and left as quickly and as quietly as possible, then phoned in his ransom demands at a later time. So what is going on here? Who would like to answer since I am tired of writing?"

And then I added the very specific proscription:

"And please, no revisiting John or Patsy or Burke as the possible culprits. All of them are abundantly cleared by the ransom note for the reasons already stated."

Perhaps I should have said:

"And please, no revisiting John or Patsy or Burke as the possible culprits. For the sake of argument, kindly assume that they are abundantly cleared by the ransom note, even if you are not presently so convinced."

Just so you know, this is only an exercise, a thought experiment. You are not required to surrender your "Patsy Wrote the Note!" theory for all eternity. You are only required to temporarily suspend it for the sake of continuing along the particular avenue of philosophical exploration on which I had embarked in the post.
No problems. I think this case was not handled properly by the police initially which is unfortunate. I don't have a closed mind on this case because I haven't a really good knowledge of it but that note is bizarre.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,650,234 times
Quote:
You are not required to surrender your "Patsy Wrote the Note!" theory for all eternity. You are only required to temporarily suspend it
SigTurner, you're lecturing us like a lawyer lectures his jury. None of us is sequestered, nor have we taken an oath of any kind.

However, you ask:
Quote:
Why would the writer be so keen on wanting the reader to think that she and her accomplices hail from some godforsaken place on the other side of the world?
Following your theory, the word "foreign" connotes that which is unknown or unfamiliar; it implies (and, if used to purposely throw off police / the Ramseys) it was likely meant to trigger fear. A "foreign faction" implies two or more people, so that would have been used to heighten this fear.

Even in 1996, I think most people, if confronted with a note of this sort, would have linked "foreign faction" to "terrorists" straightaway.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM

125 posts, read 125,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post

SigTurner, you're lecturing us like a lawyer lectures his jury. None of us is sequestered, nor have we taken an oath of any kind.
Tobiashen, if you are going to be so insensitive as to accuse the surviving victims of this heinous crime without solid proof of their culpability, please have the decency not to be so supersensitive to your own feelings to the point of becoming paranoid.

You are not required to respond to my post, nor anyone else's post for that matter, if you do not wish to follow the directives given in the post.

Quote:
Following your theory, the word "foreign" connotes that which is unknown or unfamiliar; it implies (and, if used to purposely throw off police / the Ramseys) it was likely meant to trigger fear. A "foreign faction" implies two or more people, so that would have been used to heighten this fear.

Even in 1996, I think most people, if confronted with a note of this sort, would have linked "foreign faction" to "terrorists" straightaway.
The word "foreign" connotes someone who is a "foreigner" as opposed to someone who lives just a few houses away.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Thank you, all posters for appreciating each other, and allowing for different opinions.

We can all agree, this is perplexing.

And sad, a beautiful little girl, her life shortened.

And a family affected by this heinous crime. We may not know all the answers, but I do believe that people who hurt children in this life, pay for their sins eventually.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Involved, possibly, but not the murderer. There are no "facts" pointing to either parent as the killer of this child.
If you look at the circumstantial evidence, to me, it speaks volumes. I think of them as "facts" of the case. I think if you add all of the details together, they point to the family, mother or father.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, the lack of clear evidence is so frustrating.

There are pathology reports and also testimony from JonBenet's physician.

There is DNA now on file (that was not even sent off for testing at the time of the initial investigation) and it excludes family members.

Most of the statements on record (either in testimony or in interviews) are more or less hearsay and speculations.
I don't think DNA excludes the family, touch DNA, controversial at best from what I hear and have read.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 01-30-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,347,331 times
When someone says there is a lack of evidence I always think of the line from "A Few Good Men"...
'...you mean, other than the dead body?'

Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I don't think DNA excludes the family, touch DNA, controversial at best from what I hear and have read.
Everything I have read from reliable news sources (first person statements on the case, not speculations) have indicated this is DNA left by the perpetrator. The DNA is being used to track suspects through use of databases.

This DNA is not a match to any of the Ramseys.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM

125 posts, read 125,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If you look at the circumstantial evidence, to me, it speaks volumes. I think of them as "facts" of the case. I think if you add all of the details together, they point to the family, mother or father.
The only circumstantial evidence that implicates any member of the Ramsey family is the fact that they were at the scene of the crime at the time the crime occurred.

Of course, this does not amount to much as far as evidence goes because the crime scene is the family residence, and all three subjects, as well as the victim, were residing there at the time.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Thank you, all posters for appreciating each other, and allowing for different opinions.

We can all agree, this is perplexing.

And sad, a beautiful little girl, her life shortened.

And a family affected by this heinous crime. We may not know all the answers, but I do believe that people who hurt children in this life, pay for their sins eventually.
The person that was named as a possible suspect in the one series of videos I watched supposedly killed himself Or let's say - it was ruled a suicide. The way he would have had to kill himself is so odd (shooting himself in the side) has been questioned as the scene looks more like a murder. But nevertheless, Boulder officials called it a suicide.

I believe there is a hereafter so if he is the culprit, I hope he is paying for his sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime