Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

278 posts, read 625,743 times

Advertisements

1) I've seen a man on rollerskates with a 30ft cross on wheels over his shoulder traveling in the shoulder of a highway (by rollerskates) (VA)

2) 2 men walking a Camel on the side of the road (on I-4 Between Tampa and Orlando), their zoo party bus had broken down/run out of gas.

3) A VERY hairy butt mooning us out a side window of a car (also on I-4)

4) A crazy guy screaming and attacking a phone booth at a rest area in NJ

What are the craziest things you've seen when traveling?

-Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times
A young woman passed me on I-95 north of Richmond, VA traveling in excess of 70mph with the cruise control set and she was sitting in the lotus position. I couldn't help but wonder how long it would take her to get her legs untangled if she needed to hit the brakes.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM

9,631 posts, read 820,931 times
A woman who hung all the luggage on her man, one rucksack on back, another in front and some hand luggage.
Then I also saw passengers on rollerskates inside the airport building.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,200,343 times
During a cross-country trip via Greyhound in the mid '70s, I saw people smoking dope on the bus...repeatedly.

Same trip...the bus depot was across the street from the Indiana state capitol building. At 3 a.m. there were a number of people smoking dope on the capitol steps.

A man with the DTs on that same trip. Entertaining, but a little scary.

Fell asleep, woke up with a 20-something girl kissing my forehead...

Saw 2 guys with guns pass me at a high rate of speed with every cop in the state of Wyoming chasing them.

Had a guy ask me if I wanted to buy a .30-.30 once at a truck stop parking lot. When I told him no, he asked "How about steak knives?" (Albuquerque)

Several topless girls over the years.

A woman walked up to me screaming one time "We don't do that here! We don't do that here!" in NorCal once time. I looked over at her and saw the crazy in her eyes and asked her "What? Walk to their car?" She then screamed at me "You're crazy!" I guess it's all relative...

An older couple followed me for about an hour, several times pulling up next to me and smiling...followed me when I got off at a rest area. They thought I was their grandson. Nice couple. Somewhere around Davis, CA.

Saw people trying to stop cars on the freeway in East St. Louis...trying to sell drugs.

Yup, see the USA in your Chevrolet...

Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM

351 posts, read 1,875,139 times
My friend saw someone intimately engaged with a sheep in a field in Central Asia. It's not my experience, but she was visiting me (who was at work and missed that outing). Does that count?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:57 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,917,191 times
When I was a teenager I went on a bus tour to France with my parents. While in Paris at a traffic light, I looked down and saw the driver of a car, a man, was um, pleasuring himself. With great fervor.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:37 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,302,543 times
Is it bad to say that I've seen many of these behaviors in my own city? No traveling required to find the freaks!

I tend to meet a lot of Jesus freaks on my travels. Apparently, I look like someone that can use a little bit of JC in my life!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
I was on a train in India that hit an elephant, and delayed the train for about an hour.

In Mali, West Africa, the passengers had to get out and push the bus about three miles.

In Bolivia, the fuel pump went out on the bus, and my wife, in the seat behind the driver, had to hold up a gas can with a hose in it to gravity-feed the carburetor.

In Peru, the brakes went out when the bus tried to get through a bad washout and scraped the brake lines. The driver drove about 50 miles in low gear, fingers on the ignition key, to shut it off in gear if he had to stop.

On a Colombian airline, flying into the Amazon, when there are gringoes on the plane, the pilot liked to shut off two if the four engines on the Constellation, and then the local passengers would act scared, just for a bit of fun.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,924,670 times
1.) Dead bodies burning on an alter, part of a funeral (Nepal).
2.) Live sex shows (San Francisco mid 90s).
3.) Marijuana legally and publically consumed (Amsterdam).
4.) Fisherman using dirty plastic milk jug as emergency boat water bail-out process (South China Sea, yes I was on boat).
5.) Various public displays of nudity (to many to count nude beaches from the carribean to europe).
6.) Car chase involving automobile and elephant (South Africa, yes it was my rental car).
7.) Stewerdass giving out ear plugs as standard pre-flight handouts, same plane doing a flyby on airfield to chase off grazing yaks (Nepal).
8.) Bullet holes in airport (Tel Aviv, circa mid 70s after airport terrorist incident).
9.) Monkees dressed up in childrens outfits and makeup (India).
10.) Beautiful stainless steel toilet, consisting of a hole that you squat over (Dubai airport).
11.) Indian wedding ceromony, complete with film crew, in Swiss castle (Switzerland).
12.) Residents drinking and bathing in river, while upstream another resident is defecating (both India and Thailand).
13.) Taxi cab blessed by bhuddist monks (Bali).

I can just go on and on...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM

645 posts, read 1,453,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
1.) Dead bodies burning on an alter, part of a funeral (Nepal).
2.) Live sex shows (San Francisco mid 90s).
3.) Marijuana legally and publically consumed (Amsterdam).
4.) Fisherman using dirty plastic milk jug as emergency boat water bail-out process (South China Sea, yes I was on boat).
5.) Various public displays of nudity (to many to count nude beaches from the carribean to europe).
6.) Car chase involving automobile and elephant (South Africa, yes it was my rental car).
7.) Stewerdass giving out ear plugs as standard pre-flight handouts, same plane doing a flyby on airfield to chase off grazing yaks (Nepal).
8.) Bullet holes in airport (Tel Aviv, circa mid 70s after airport terrorist incident).
9.) Monkees dressed up in childrens outfits and makeup (India).
10.) Beautiful stainless steel toilet, consisting of a hole that you squat over (Dubai airport).
11.) Indian wedding ceromony, complete with film crew, in Swiss castle (Switzerland).
12.) Residents drinking and bathing in river, while upstream another resident is defecating (both India and Thailand).
13.) Taxi cab blessed by bhuddist monks (Bali).

I can just go on and on...

LMAO!! I am so sorry for laughing~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel