Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,218,649 times

Advertisements

Something unusual for the US that I used to see regularly in Tegucigalpa...police with submachine guns on duty in supermarkets...

Italian police, on bicycles, with submachine guns. Their uniforms looked marvelous!

I haven't been on a plane buzzing airfields to chase off yaks, but have been on one that's had to do that for caribou in the Northwest Territories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 AM

848 posts, read 2,839,773 times
In the park outside the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy, in 2005, were some 200 souvenir and snack vendors, and every single one were black Africans, except one white vendor. Also in Pisa, painted on or beside a bridge, was a large elaborate mural of Cuban revolutionary Che' Guevara - we were riding too fast for me to snap a picture.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:22 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,343,669 times
While driving through the HOT desolate part of the Anja Borrego desert we pulled into a "vista" point where an older man wearing nothing but a white diaper-looking pair of shorts and flip-flops was just standing there to greet passing cars. We think he was there to promote some nudist camp God knows where. But he had very tanned leathery skin and looked like someone who basked in the sun for decades.

During that same road trip we spoke with the admissions clerk at a camp ground, and she looked so stifled inside that tiny little booth. It was about 115 out that day, and when we asked her about being hot, she said, "Oh, I don't start to really feel it until it reaches 130." (?????) Apparently, they hired the right person for that job.

Once I road the Green Tortoise (bus) to California. The seats all convert into various bedding. To find something, I switched on the little night light and looked over at one of the drivers on top of a woman who was traveling alone. They gave me a deer-in-headlights look, I went "oops!" and switched it off immediately.

A just-married cute Italian couple walking along the Brooklyn Bridge in their bridal-groom clothes.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,557,442 times
On a late evening train going back to Padova from Venice...pretty much empty. The disheveled-looking nasty guy a few seats away from us (but facing us) took his 'member' out and started rubbing it...while staring at us and grinning...

That was classy.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:50 AM

5,069 posts, read 7,541,820 times
I once had to drive around a couple of camel's, that were "doing it" in the middle of the road I was driving on in the Australian Desert.

On a sad note I was also mugged at the walls of vatican city in Broad daylight! (Around the back away from the tourist area)

Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,457,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I once had to drive around a couple of camel's, that were "doing it" in the middle of the road I was driving on in the Australian Desert.

On a sad note I was also mugged at the walls of vatican city in Broad daylight! (Around the back away from the tourist area)
Camel Sex would make an excellent name for a rock band.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,399,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Camel Sex would make an excellent name for a rock band.
Indeed it would, but what kind of rock?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:20 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,055,850 times
saw a guy pull down his pants and take a crap under an overpass (Atlanta)

saw an evil cow give me an evil look then jumped up and chased after my truck (Eastern NM)

got mistanken for a bank robber when trying to cross the border (Juarez/El Paso)

Old 02-11-2010, 03:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,261,355 times
I feel so sorry for the animals of the world.

Saudi Arabia - some sort of animal corral area where there were camels in one pen, sheep (goats?) in the other. A man pulls in a big old chevy. He picks out a sheep and the propietor drags it over to the car. The buyer pops the hood of the trunk - a sheep/goat already in there pops up, they wrestle the second sheep/goat in with the first, close the trunk and he drives away. Looking down from a bus same trip, a sheep/goat sitting on the back seat of another big old American sedan as the guy drives....to dinner I'm guessing.
Probably not unusual for most of the world, just for me

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,858,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
My friend saw someone intimately engaged with a sheep in a field in Central Asia. It's not my experience, but she was visiting me (who was at work and missed that outing). Does that count?
If this was a contest, this one would surely win, lol!

My list: In Colorado Springs, we saw a man weaving precariously on a set of high heels and with very sloppily drawn on lipstick. Our friend from there confirmed that he must have been coming out of a transsexual bar--in Colorado Springs of all places!

In NYC, at around 8:00 in the morning, we saw a bald middle aged man with a leopard coat and bare legs (in December) getting into a taxi cab.

In Lake Como Italy we saw a man with the biggest backpack you ever saw--I didn't even think they made them that big--but it looked like it was full of balloons b/c he was carrying it quite effortlessly. Everyone on the boat was giggling and winking at each other b/c it was so funny. If I can find the pic, I'll post it here.

While camping near the Great Ocean Road in Oz, there were many koalas hanging around in the trees. These are extremely sleepy animals, second only to the sloth probably, so we were amused when they started grunting around in the trees after midnight, and they were peeling huge swathes of bark from the gum trees and running around. It would have been scary if we didn't know what it was. We called them "pigs in trees" b/c that's what they sounded like.

In Thailand, there are many "lady-boys," men who dress up like women to whatever extent the like, and some go the whole 9 yards and you don't even know they're men. Our favorite was a waitress at a really good restaurant we went to, and the first night he was dressed impeccably, but he'd forgotten his "boobs." Another one was our elephant handler who was totally dressed as a man except for the bright pink lipstick that he was wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel