Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times

Advertisements

I love to travel. I crave different experiences and I LOVE big, busy cities. The problem is, I haven't found anyone who feels the same way. I want to travel, but to do so would require me to go alone. No one around has the resources, time away from work, or desire like I do.

Is it odd to travel to, say, New York City by yourself? I've never been and it's the #1 place on my list. Yes, I'm a typical tourist. Get over it

Next month I'm going to visit my sister in Oklahoma. I want to drive. Why? Because I've flown there several times, and I just think it would be fun to drive for once. It's about an 18 hour drive and I'd stay somewhere in Texas for the night. Everyone I've told thinks I'm nuts to go on such a long road trip by myself, but I CAN'T WAIT. I've done 12 hour solo road trips before (with no stopping for the night), and it's never been a problem.

As much as I would love to travel the world, I can't do it myself. I draw the line at the international borders

Should I stay home or go out and explore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
GO GO GO!!! Go to OKC, NYC or any place you want to go.

Do be safe. Be aware of your surroundings.

Don't worry what others think about YOUR life.

Have a great time.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
You forgot to mention that you're driving to San Diego to see me in December!!!

Let me know when you go to NYC...I go 3-4x/year to visit family. Maybe I'll meet you there and show you around, since I know that city better than any other!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
It fine to travel alone, as EasyBreezy said, be safe, aware,

Ive done long drive to places that i could have flown to, but wanted to see the are at less then 30,000 feet. Keep a cell phone charge, I would stay off of the I-States in the wee hours of the morning in the more or less deserted places. Cell phone coverate is spotty, and If your break down help maybe next morning till you can get a tow/fix. NYC is a great city, Go for it.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
You forgot to mention that you're driving to San Diego to see me in December!!!

Let me know when you go to NYC...I go 3-4x/year to visit family. Maybe I'll meet you there and show you around, since I know that city better than any other!
That would be perfect!!! I do have a list of things I have to do, though. You probably won't want to do any of them

We have to go see D. That's a requirement. I'll rent the car!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM

I always have a car when I'm there, since I always fly into JFK and drive to my mom's house in Jersey. I'll drive us to D's house. We'll surprise her in the middle of the day!

What are the other things you have to do?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I always have a car when I'm there, since I always fly into JFK and drive to my mom's house in Jersey. I'll drive us to D's house. We'll surprise her in the middle of the day!

What are the other things you have to do?
I'd list them, but they're all silly tourist things
One of them is to ride the subway. I don't care if they're gross and smelly. I want to ride dang subway!!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
ahh the subway is not that bad... Also you Don't want a car in NYC. The subway/bus can take you everywhere.

Just LOL, I flew up to Manchester NH, once and suprised my mom. Call my sister in NH from the curb @ MHT, and asked her to come get me, Next morning I just show'ed up at the bake sale she was running.

Also once my mom and dad stopped (Pre-Cell phone days) at a friends place in NC, they were not home, left a note. Turns out at almost the exact same time, they were in NH and stopped my parents house to visit, Left a note...

Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
NYC is no problem to visit alone. As already mentioned the NYC subway is the best way to get around the city.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'd list them, but they're all silly tourist things
One of them is to ride the subway. I don't care if they're gross and smelly. I want to ride dang subway!!
The subway really isn't that bad. Many of the cars are new. I rode it countless times on my last visit and it's really not that bad! Now the PATH train from Jersey to Manhattan...that leaves a lot to be desired!

You can't really visit Manhattan and not ride the subway. The cabs take forever to get across town, cause of the traffic. I'll teach you all about the subway! It's really easy to figure out, yet I see perplexed people standing there as if it was the hardest thing in the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel