Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419_Soldier View Post
Money makes the world go round. Toledo isn't any different. If the City Of Toledo would bring back the industries that put Toledo on the map in the first place, that would make a significant impact on jobs and revenue for the city. Restore the Downtown area, the building of the new stadium was a huge start. How many of the job slots in the stadium are actually given to Toledoans though? Bring back jobs that brought Toledo to it's prime, the glass industry, the automotive industries, any and all factory work really. Toledo is a blue collar town, people WANT to WORK in Toledo. You provide jobs to Toledoans, the crime rate will drop. Factory work doesn't take college degrees, so hire 15-18y/o kids to work it. They'll get a steady pay check, sense of team work and discipline. Those 3 things can prevent most people from joining a gang. Money, Team work/family and discipline. Just a thought from a Old South End Toledoan.
I agree that jobs are a big part of the answer. But the City of Toledo (as in the government) doesn't bring those jobs. The best they could do is attract them with land and tax deals. It's not like there's a magic wand where the mayor can just wave it and factories will sprout out of the ground. I think the economic troubles go beyond the scope of city government; factories haven't left becaues of Toledo, they've left because of the global economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM

227 posts, read 626,172 times
[my opinion]

I think that a lot of companies relocate to places where young educated workers want to be... Toledo needs to get over its self esteem issue and start courting people one person at a time instead of trying to entice huge companies to move here with tax incentives.

I cite UTMC... almost none of the graduates stay in NW Ohio... not because there aren't any hospitals here (we probably have too many)... but because they think life would be better someplace else. A lot of times when I am talking to people that have grown up here about the attractions of Toledo... they don't even know what I am talking about. It is an image problem.... low self esteem... When I lived in Cleveland, they had the same attitude, but as an outsider it seemed like a really nice place to live... but the natives wouldn't hear of it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
[my opinion]

I think that a lot of companies relocate to places where young educated workers want to be... Toledo needs to get over its self esteem issue and start courting people one person at a time instead of trying to entice huge companies to move here with tax incentives.

I cite UTMC... almost none of the graduates stay in NW Ohio... not because there aren't any hospitals here (we probably have too many)... but because they think life would be better someplace else. A lot of times when I am talking to people that have grown up here about the attractions of Toledo... they don't even know what I am talking about. It is an image problem.... low self esteem... When I lived in Cleveland, they had the same attitude, but as an outsider it seemed like a really nice place to live... but the natives wouldn't hear of it.
Companies may want to be where the young, educated people are. But young, educated people also want to be where there are employment opportunities that reflect their value. I grew up in Toledo and went away for school, I graduated in 2009 and I could only land one job interview in the Toledo area that required more than a high school diploma. Jobs may exist in Toledo, but not the kind of jobs that allow me to pay off my student loans or to get my career going.

I actually think that the route of getting large companies to come in is a better route. They'll always have a pool of students from UT and BG to recruit from, and then maybe slowly more companies will move in, and more young people will stay in, return to, or even move to Toledo.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 AM

You are right... in the end, it probably takes both approaches.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 AM

970 posts, read 2,967,925 times
It's getting bad. I just drove through Toledo to get to Findlay yesterday. The amount of vandalism and blight worries me.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
It's getting bad. I just drove through Toledo to get to Findlay yesterday. The amount of vandalism and blight worries me.
What part of Toledo? I find that the amount of vandalism and blight hasn't really changed... It appears to me that it is only moving to different places.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,284 times
Toledo, Ohio now in 2010 has a crime rate higher than Miami, Florida. With over 200+ Street Gangs. The city is in so much turmoil that if you live in these neighborhoods you could really give a **** less about what happens downtown. Throughout the 80's and Early-Mid 90's The Murder Rate Sky-Rocketed due to Crack-Cocaine and Gang Violence. Then died down for awhile, but now is starting to Really Pick Up!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,284 times
Gangs DO Provide Money, TeamWork/Family and Discipline.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
I'm originally from Lexington, KY. Toledo is almost our twin in terms of general appearance (we even have a big 5/3 blue glass bank tower).

The only real difference is the weather is a LOT better (less tornadoes, less gray and brown winters) and things actually happen.

Given that, I think Toledo is a pretty nice little town... Go Mud Hens!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM

50 posts, read 178,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm originally from Lexington, KY. Toledo is almost our twin in terms of general appearance (we even have a big 5/3 blue glass bank tower).

The only real difference is the weather is a LOT better (less tornadoes, less gray and brown winters) and things actually happen.

Given that, I think Toledo is a pretty nice little town... Go Mud Hens!
That's hilarious, but hey, it's all relative. Personally, I hardly see any similarities between Toledo and Lexington. If I had to choose between the two, I would easily pick Toledo. Lexington feels and looks very bland and suburban to me (minus a few of the historic areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo