Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:54 PM

1,009 posts, read 877,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
No where did I equate a neighborhood coalition with a vigalante mob. Give me a break. This is the stupidity that brings Toledo down. Change starts at home. Take care of your own property make your house nice. If it gets tagged yes paint over it.

Get your neighbors together and go together to talk to the local government. Perhaps if they see you are serious about cleaning up your own neighborhood they will step up police involvement and have more of a presence in your neighborhood. These are just places to start.

While I don't live their anymore I still have mine and my husband's entire family still there. For them I would love to see Toledo become great like it once was but people who aren't willing to work to do that just bring the city down. If you hate your neighborhood so much, don't want to try to change,the best thing you could do in that instance is to try to move.

If you want a police unit on every corner, asking people what they are doing, where they are going, etc, that is what we call a police state. I'd rather see citizens empowered to take out the trash. Declare identified gang members to be enemies of the state/people and if they are seen engaging in gang-related activity (spraying gang graffiti, etc) allow citizens to neutralize them.

Eventually gangs will morph into insurgent groups with a low-medium level insurgency comparable to what is presently going on in Mexico, becoming the norm in this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 AM

374 posts, read 1,125,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]When you have a city as bad as say Cleveland, New Orleans, Detroit, etc, you don't need a Ghandi with a pair of binoculars and a cellphone, you need The Punisher with his M-16.
Not always the best solution, trust me.... Violence on violence doesnt work. Most of them probably already own an M-16 Assault Rifle and aren't afraid to use it because they have no remorse and feel they have nothing to live for.... Wonder why American soldiers are still gettin killed in Iraq???? Thats a whole different subject, but same thing......

Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 AM

1,009 posts, read 877,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Not always the best solution, trust me.... Violence on violence doesnt work. Most of them probably already own an M-16 Assault Rifle and aren't afraid to use it because they have no remorse and feel they have nothing to live for.... Wonder why American soldiers are still gettin killed in Iraq???? Thats a whole different subject, but same thing......

Your post made no sense... Most of who already own M-16s?

When you're faced with violent thugs, rolling over won't get you anywhere except dead.

You don't fight fire with fire (sometimes you do, but I digress) you smother it with water, dirt, foam chemicals, etc... You don't fight gangsters by becoming a gangster, but you do fight gangsters by neutralizing them when you have the chance.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 AM

21 posts, read 139,889 times
its hard to paint over tags left by gangs when they just tag it again the next day. Bullet holes arent the easiest things to just cover up either. and cops arent dumb they dont want to put themselves in danger thats why only ones with connections(dirty cops) patrol the area. if u want to kno what kind of guns people have in ur neighborhood go outside on new years eve. around here u here anything from 22 caliber pistols to m-16s to AK-47 assult rifles even the occasional shot gun, thats their time to show off what they got and they arent afraid to use them.

The local gov. doesnt seem to want to try to help its almosts as if they have given up on the area. Ive noticed such a rapid decline in the last ten years of this area i cant imagine it much worse. People like to say just move out, or sell ur house, but thats not soo easy it make take years and with the prices they are selling for in the 5k area too the high teens depending on the size and interior. when ur house sells for that little price its hard to afford to move elsewhere.

I actually found some interesting info recently. I know last year our murder rate had dropped dramatically but now it is back on the rise and last year we wer wayyy above national avgs for felonious assults(assult with a deadly weapon) actually we toped ohio wih record numbers of over 300% more than cleveand and 600% more than columbus. we were actually top 5 in the country. or in other words we had more vicious attacks on people but we wer just not as efficiant in killing them.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,935,830 times
Ok, this is just getting ridiculous. Please people get your facts straight.

Toledo did not have "over 300% more than cleveland and 600% more than columbus" felonious assaults. Also, felonious assaults do not mean in any way that the somebody was actually trying to kill somebody else. Im guessing you guys dont know much about crime stats and specifics. What your referring to is the other poster saying that Toledo had 300 more felonious assaults than Cleveland and 600 more than Columbus. Now, I dont know if thats true, but I bet if it is its flawed. If you actually know about Ohio cities and crimes, there is no way that Toledo had more than Columbus or Cleveland. If the Toledo Police are so good as the other poster said then they probably report the crime stats more accurately. I know for a fact that Cleveland under reports significantly and wouldnt be surprised if Columbus did also. Top 5 in the country is past ridiculous. Show me a link or stats for this or you made it up.

Every ghetto Ive been to on New Years is as bad or worse than you described. I wouldnt be surprised if you tried to convince me Toledo is worse than Detroit. If you want to tell the truth about your neighborhood or city, thats good, but what your doing is greatly exaggerating, for a reason unknown to me. Is Toledo a rough city? yes, and certain places worse than others. Is it anywhere near the most dangerous city in the US or even Ohio? No. Nowhere close. If youve ever been to other big cities outside of Toledo you would know this.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM

I lived on the east side of detroit for a year soo dont tell me if i have lived in other citys i wouldnt say this. trust me i kno and i live here how can u tell me. and yes it is in the top 5 for felonious assults go to www.toledoblade.com and look around u will find it. I also never said it is an intention in murder if using a deadly weapon dont put words in my mouth. But if u want to argue it great come here and chill for a weekend and see for urself. In fact we had a shooting today on hill ave. and it is in line with cleveland and columbus soo pull ur head out ur ass and take a look around and a few years back if i recall we were in top 20's for crime soo thank you very much apparently its not as rediculus as it seems. and i personally kno dirty cops in my area not too mention any names. u act like u kno them all ha its almost like u wer a TPD officer. like i said keep it quiet unless u spend a weekend in south central.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 30,418 times
dude pittsburgh is smaller than toledo in population (was just stated on news here in pittsburgh) and trust me toledo is a cake walk. I grew up there and visit often and have never in my life felt unsafe. I regularly visited a freinds house on hiatt in the southside which was dangerous(i had a gun pulled on me bc someone thought i was someone else) but nothing compared to wilkinsburg here or the many other ghettos in pittsburgh ie homewood, the hill district, elliot, mckeepsport ect. this city is ridden with crime, at least 4 murders a day on the news, and with this economy every city is suffering, everyone is losing jobs, not just in toledo. as for the weather, it depends on each person's personal opinion. I lived in texas just outside austin and I would take the four seasons in ohio in a second over 90 degree weather 9 months out of the year with humidity so thick you could cut it with a knife. you can always put more clothes on when your cold but when your hot there is only so far you can go hahaha.(not to mention your air condiotioning will be on 24/7) I also visited denver,co for a few weeks (two years ago) when they had a blizzard and trust me toledo winters are a breeze! After living in pittsburgh and experiencing the crime and the fact that really only 3 neighborhoods are totally safe(and too expensive to live in i.e. one bedroom apartments for 850! and nooooo off street parking ever!) I would much rather start and raise a family in Toledo than in Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Detroit. This is all my opinion though. I used to hate toledo but after travelling quite a bit since leaving, I can't wait to come back home.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,935,830 times
Ohio Cities: (most-least dangerous), score-(higher=worse, in parenthesis means negative/below national average, not in parenthesis is above national average):
11. Cleveland-255.80
15. Youngstown-234.56
26. Dayton-171.29
28. Cincinnati-168.22
43. Columbus-138.05
46. Canton-133.36
64. Toledo-107.73
79. Akron-98.22
300. Parma-(32.75)
CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Looks like Toledo is actually closer to being the least dangerous large city in Ohio. Parma is a suburb, so I would say Toledo is the 2nd safest. In line with Cleveland? Definitely not. Not even Columbus. These ranking are actually very accurate, they take all crimes into consideration. If you actually lived on the Eastside of Detroit you wouldnt be saying what you are right now, so no. And I have been in the rougher areas of Toledo for more than a weekend, its not anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM

93,710 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Heck, Syracuse had 25 murders last year and that is high and rare for us in a city of 140,000. toledo only 18 in acity of about 313,000. Both metros are about the same though.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM

like i said im not just saying all of toledo im saying in my neighborhood its far from a "cake walk" as u put it. and those rankings are just last year like i ****ING SAID "A FEW YEARS BACK" it was in the top twenties and i dont give a flying **** where in toledo u have been come here and u can see my neighborhood i dare u to ever say any kind of **** about it u will b left to bleed in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo