Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
It's not secluded to UT. I've heard stories similar at OSU and OU. I've actually heard of a couple pistol whippings, a shooting or two, and stabbings at OU.. a traditionally safe school.
Oh please...OSU and OU should never be mentioned in the same sentence where this subject is concerned. Athens, Ohio is one of the safest University towns around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,635,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Oh please...OSU and OU should never be mentioned in the same sentence where this subject is concerned. Athens, Ohio is one of the safest University towns around.
There was a murder in 2003 - drug related. There was an attempted rape with a guy who had a gun. There was a home invasion with guns. There was another student who got randomly shot in the leg. There was some guy who shot bullets off in front of his dorm. If you don't know what you are talking about, then don't comment. Oh and most of these crimes are committed by students, not townies.

Quote:
After Londono was arrested, a female Ohio University student also reportedly identified him as the man who had grabbed her on Grosvenor Street the night of Aug. 5 and put a handgun to her head. The man fled after another person approached, according to police reports.
^ Attempted rape, with gun.
Quote:
Miller, the victim, said O'Neill picked up a keg of beer and began pushing people around with it. He dropped the keg and left the home, returning later to confront Miller.
Miller told police that someone swung a chain at him, prompting him to turn and defend himself. O'Neill pulled a knife and stabbed Miller in the chest and stomach, according to Miller's statement to police.
Miller suffered a lacerated liver. He is a junior at Ohio University, majoring in business.
^ Stabbing

Quote:
The Athens City Police are seeking information regarding the home invasion of a residence on Church St. on July 26th , 2008. The two suspects, both dressed in all black clothing and wearing masks, one being described as a Halloween mask, similar to the one worn in Scream movies entered the basement apartment uninvited. The two suspects forced the occupants of the apartment into a bedroom where 911 was called and officers responded. Two occupants of another apartment arrived prior to police officers and confronted the two suspects as they left the apartment. During this confrontation, the larger of the two suspects pulled a pistol, revolver, which was knocked out of his hands. Both suspects then fled the apartment towards the rear of Church St . Both suspects were identified as being in their early twenties, black males, with one being described as 6’02” and 175 – 200 pounds. The other was described as being 5’ 10-11” tall weighing 250 -300 pounds.

Home invasion with guns ^^

Quote:
CASE #8 ATTEMPTED ABDUCTION The Athens Police Department is investigating an attempted abduction that took place on Monday afternoon, February 12th, 2007 at approximately 3:11pm on the bike path off East State in the area of the Athens Recreation Center and the Athens Mall. According to the 25-year-old female victim, she was running along the bike path when a male approached her from behind and threw a jacket over her head, grabbing her around the neck. The victim began to scream and was eventually able to flee after a brief struggle. The victim then ran to the Social Security office and called for help. The victim had minor injuries and was treated at the scene by SEOEMS. The suspect is described as a white male, clean-shaven between high school and college age. He was wearing an orange jacket, orange t-shirt, jeans and a gray toboggan hat. Officers tracked the suspect’s shoe-prints in the snow to the area of the Athens Library where he may have made a call for a ride. Officers also located an orange jacket with “Vols” on the back (a University of Tennessee Volunteers sports jacket, and an orange t-shirt lying in the snow between the library and US RT. 33.
Attempted abduction^^

Quote:
The Athens City Police are still seeking information regarding the March 9th, 2003 homicide in which an Ohio University student was shot and killed and another OU student wounded. Terrence Ross, also known as T-Ross, and the other student were sitting in a car in the parking lot of the University Commons when the suspect, who Ross was waiting to meet and had spoke with on the phone several times earlier, entered the backseat of the car. Several seconds later, shots were fired at Ross and his friend.Ross died immediately while the friend was able to flee the scene and notify Athens County 911.

Shooting/homicide

There are more and more.. These are just a few. Just don't act like I'm lying
Thanks!

http://www.csaathens.org/

^ A site for unsolved crime in Athens, Ohio. athenspost.com is a good as well to keep up on OU news.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM

These events you found are spread out over a 5 year period and are a drop in the bucket when compared to the OSU campus and surrounding areas on any given weekend.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
These events you found are spread out over a 5 year period and are a drop in the bucket when compared to the OSU campus and surrounding areas on any given weekend.
Edit: They are all from the last year EXCEPT the MURDER!

Bottom line, there have been stabbings, home invasion with guns, attempted rape with a gun, ALL in the last year.

I find it funny, you immediately nit-pick and notice ONE thing I wrote was from 2003. Sorry buddy, but most is recent.

You are hilarious.. you tell me stuff like that doesn't happen, yet I know for a fact it does and proved it. My friend is a grad student there, and said the assaults are getting quite ridiculous and lot of it has to do with the drugs being ran in from Columbus, it's a hot bed for small time drug dealers.

What is your argument though? You stated OSU and OU shouldn't even be compared to UT.. yet, I show 4 violent crimes that happened in tini tiny OU and you say it shouldn't be compared to OSU.. it's just funny.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

I lived in Athens for 6 years and my family still owns and rents the house I lived in as a student and grad student. I travel to Athens all of the time and can tell you that, having grown up around the OSU Campus, there is simply no comparison. You can pull up these stories but all this proves is that crime can happen anywhere. I would much rather be standing at a corner of anyones chosing in Athens, Ohio at 3am than any neighborhood within walking distance of the OSU Campus Gateway at that same late hour. I think most any sensible person who has spent an extended amount of time in both places would agree that to compare Athens, OH to one of the worst parts of Columbus is ridiculous.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I lived in Athens for 6 years and my family still owns and rents the house I lived in as a student and grad student. I travel to Athens all of the time and can tell you that, having grown up around the OSU Campus, there is simply no comparison. You can pull up these stories but all this proves is that crime can happen anywhere. I would much rather be standing at a corner of anyones chosing in Athens, Ohio at 3am than any neighborhood within walking distance of the OSU Campus Gateway at that same late hour. I think most any sensible person who has spent an extended amount of time in both places would agree that to compare Athens, OH to one of the worst parts of Columbus is ridiculous.
You're ridiculous. I listed some things and you said (not in exact words) that crime like that doesn't happen in Athens. I provided stories and links to confirm that it HAS been happening in the last year and you dispute it with personal stories of little substance.

I never ONCE said anything about it being some hell hole and dangerous OR that it is worse than OSU campus. YOU implied that. That's the problem, you are twisting words to make your argument concur with your original statements.

The bottom line is this, I proved you wrong and you can't handle it. Crime DOES happen in Athens (not the general population, but rather to the student population) NOW more than it did when you went there. There is a drug problem in Athens (2 students recently OD'ed on heroin - need a link ? ) and the people selling these drugs are the ones to causing trouble.

I don't need your sappy love stories about how safe you think the city is. I already know it is safe, but I highly doubt in the history of OU, that the school has had 2 serious gun crimes, and a stabbing in a years time.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:44 AM

34 posts, read 141,750 times
ok is this thread about Toledo the City or OU?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 PM

914 posts, read 1,985,557 times
To get back on topic....

There have been three high profile crimes around UT since last summer.

1. There was a murder at the BP at Secor and Dorr, but the University has subsequently bought the property and has plans to demolish it and make it into a green space before they do something permanent (rumors are a new hotel with a parking garage that has shops and restaurants on ground level).

2. Shooting of a student during a robbery. This was scary because it was random, and although it wasn't on campus it was in an area frequented by students. Fortunately over the next few years that area is going to be built up as the University buys up land and develops the "Dorr street corridor."

3. The stabbing at the Scott Park campus seems to have been a targeted attack. It was not random. While no one deserves to be stabbed, I would be willing to bet that the victim was involved in some things that led to the attack (drugs, gambling, etc). The Scott Park classes are all being moved to main campus now as well following the opening of the renovated Memorial Field House.

UT has made tremendous strides since the merger. They are now the third largest budget in the state and that clout is starting to show. Attendance is way up, going from 19,xxx pre-merger to 23,xxx now, and with evidence that total attendance will be between 24 and 25,000 for the '09-'10 academic year. Research funding, especially for alternative energies, has made very strong gains. On campus housing has increased and is maxed out now improving the atmosphere. The UT Guarentee they are pushing for the six urban school districts in Ohio (free tuition for any of those high school graduates if they meet certain grade and financial requirements) has the potential to really transform the campus atmosphere and student body. The Health Science Campus continues to be financially strong and is on the verge of seeing unprecedented growth in the next few years in my opinion.

I'm not trying to write a commercial for the University of Toledo, but I think it represents the most positive force in the city and represents the city's greatest hope for the future.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr614 View Post
ok is this thread about Toledo the City or OU?
Rhetorical questions aren't really needed (btw - it was about going to UT)

It's pretty relevant since both are Ohio colleges with notable gun crimes in the last year. It's called compare and contrast.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM

It's called comparing a grape to MD20/20... warm, in a paper bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo