Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Worthian View Post
I know how to get rid off these DALLAS VS HOUSTON threads, Step 1 Make Texas leave the Union, Step 2 Texas becomes its own country, Step 3 Texas makes states, Step 4 those states leave the union, Step 5 They states become there own country, Step 6 now the cities are in different countries and we don't have to argue about what Texas city is the best lol. (just for those gullable persons, I am joking) Im just throwing this out but has anyone heard of a $10 million project that will make a bullet train connect Fort Worth and Houston?
Yes Ive heard of it...but its still a pipe dream right now....10 million can barely build a toy train.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,362 times
The $10 million was just for research. That much money can research a lot more than a toy train.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times
Its obvious to anyone who has been to both Houston and Dallas that Houston, by far, has the best skyline. Heck, Houston's uptown district has more skyscrapers than Downtown Dallas. Not only that, there are many more separate skylines, such as the Energy Corridor, West Chase, Texas Medical Center, ect.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,256 times
I may have said this before, but since I just visited both cities again recently, I think I'll offer my opinion on this.

Houston's skyline is more Gotham-ish. It's big and relatively dark at night (there's an initiative from the city that asks businesses in downtown towers to turn their lights off at night, and it shows) and has the effect of casting a huge shadow over the surrounding area (which for the most part is contrastingly quite lit up). It just has a feeling of enormity and power.

Dallas's skyline is a little smaller, but it's much brighter at night and feels more alive. It is also looks a lot more unique and notable to me. Most people in the south and southwest would instantly be able to identify it if shown a picture. The new bridge is not my favorite design, but it provides a nice backdrop.

During the day, I definitely like Houston's better. At night, it's kind of a wash - both have their strengths and weaknesses but I lean slightly to Dallas there.

Quite an interesting comparison.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Worthian View Post
I know how to get rid off these DALLAS VS HOUSTON threads, Step 1 Make Texas leave the Union, Step 2 Texas becomes its own country, Step 3 Texas makes states, Step 4 those states leave the union, Step 5 They states become there own country, Step 6 now the cities are in different countries and we don't have to argue about what Texas city is the best lol. (just for those gullable persons, I am joking) Im just throwing this out but has anyone heard of a $10 million project that will make a bullet train connect Fort Worth and Houston?
That opens up a lot of hurt for Dallas right there.

being out of America, Dallas would lose its American Hub and Lose its RailRoad/ logistics benefit. And be Landlocked to boot.

Houston would still be a Thriving Port City

Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That opens up a lot of hurt for Dallas right there.

being out of America, Dallas would lose its American Hub and Lose its RailRoad/ logistics benefit. And be Landlocked to boot.

Houston would still be a Thriving Port City
If Texas were to secede (by somehow winning a war against the United States or somehow avoiding one), it would probably end up a third-world country anyway. Houston won't be much better off than Dallas.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
If Texas were to secede (by somehow winning a war against the United States or somehow avoiding one), it would probably end up a third-world country anyway. Houston won't be much better off than Dallas.
Third World Country? I doubt it. Texas would still have a huge economy and some healthy cities. Problem is Dallas has an economy stoked by the nation as a whole. You get tons of traffic from the Port of LA and Houston and as a hub for the region.

Houston would be in a much better position as an exporter of Oil and Texas products.

Dallas and Houston are products of their location. Houston will be a Port City no matter what, but query whether DFW would be a major RR hub and Hub for AMERICAN Airlines without the US. Doubt people in Arkansas, or Oklahoma would appreciate getting a passport to fly to Chicago

Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Third World Country? I doubt it.
Third world country might be an exaggeration as we do have a few good resources but the state would certainly decline significantly and that's if the United States let us secede which wouldn't happen. A lot of people think that just because we pay slightly more in federal taxes than we receive (and I haven't confirmed this) that splitting off would favor us. They'd be in for a rude awakening if it ever happened.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Third world country might be an exaggeration as we do have a few good resources but the state would certainly decline significantly and that's if the United States let us secede which wouldn't happen. A lot of people think that just because we pay slightly more in federal taxes than we receive (and I haven't confirmed this) that splitting off would favor us. They'd be in for a rude awakening if it ever happened.
Oh yeah the state would indeed decline. We get a ton of federal funding for roads, and Army Core of Engineering projects. Also as I hinted before we depend on the rest of the US for trade and Logistics. SA depends on the US for its Military industry but would still do well in Tourism and trade with Mexico.

Houston would do best with its oversea trade and trade with the US.

Look at DFW industry though, what does it offer the international world or what would it offer the US?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,949 times
Quote:
Oh yeah the state would indeed decline. We get a ton of federal funding for roads, and Army Core of Engineering projects. Also as I hinted before we depend on the rest of the US for trade and Logistics. SA depends on the US for its Military industry but would still do well in Tourism and trade with Mexico.

Houston would do best with its oversea trade and trade with the US.

Look at DFW industry though, what does it offer the international world or what would it offer the US?
So we would still do trade with the US by sea but not by land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas