Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times

Advertisements

Its a given that Houstons skyline is bigger than Dallas'....to pretend that its not is ludecris. I like Dallas' better but I know better than to push the envelope off the table sayin its bigger than DtHouston......To me Seattle's skyline is smaller than Dallas' and Houston's...its also looks better than both....size is not the most important factor....this was for the Bink

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Thank God, that this building wasn't built because it's ugly!

I'm really excited about the South Asian Museum, we need more cultural museums in Dallas.
With this museum, the apartments U/C, and the building that was announced for Victory Park today, the West End and Victory continue to merge into one urban area like Downtown & Uptown did.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Well don't worry Dallaz. It's not going to get built and its not like Dallas could build a skyscraper that big anyway.
We don't know what the future holds so you can't say what can or cannot be built.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:21 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
The banks okay the loan with the stipulation that the company both makes its architectural design public and that they find a company as a primary tenant to fill it. That is the way it has become in every city ever since lots of the banks went belly up. In Dallas, lots of the office buildings that have been announced have yet to find a lead tenant. Now, those in the know seem to think that there are so many potential locations out there that all the buildings in Uptown, the new downtown of Dallas, will get built. The difference is these buildings are all in the range of 15 to 22 stories tall.

If another skyscraper office building is never built within the Dallas - Fort Worth area, it wouldn't be surprising. Now, there is a mixed use fifty story building and a couple of thirty story buildings in the Harwood development in Uptown and a couple of zoned lots for a couple of forty story buildings planned in CityPlace. If those get built, the skyline of Dallas will look beyond awesome.

Meanwhile, downtown Houston has some old office buildings that are getting rusty. What about that building owned by Exxon? Are they gonig to implode it? Houston hasn't started converting its old office buildings yet into other uses. A lot of those buildings are obsolete, technologically speaking.

When looking at downtown Houston, one has to raise their head to see it. In Dallas, one has to turn their heads to see the wall of endless buildings almost to the extent that the neck breaks and the head pops off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
So the above post is saying that the only way to look at downtown Houston is by raising their head up? So it too can't be viewed by turning its head to the side after seeing not only our enormous downtown but TMC, Uptown/Greenway and everything lined up?

WOW. Makes a LOT of sense.
Stoneclaw nailed it.. Houston's skylines are far broader than Dallas', even dallasboi won't try to argue that. Downtown Dallas (you were specifying downtown Houston in the comparison) isn't even close to downtown Houston. It isn't until you factor in the additional uptown Dallas district that the multiple skylines even come close to competing with downtown Houston. We have shown you angles where multiple skylines in Houston line up, just as uptown an downtown Dallas line up at certain angles, and Houston dominates..

As for "old rusty buildings like the Exxon tower".. Psh as if Dallas doesn't have any skyscrapers from the 1960s or before. If that's not the pot calling the kettle black idk what is. Fwiw the Exxon Mobile Tower has very unique architecture and many people would hate to see it go. There were a lot of people up in arms when it was announced that the Exxon tower would be undergoing renovations in 2015, afraid they might alter the buildings signature style.
Houston doesn't need to start converting its old office spaces into anything but new office spaces because unlike Dallas, Houston doesn't have many vacancies downtown and our office market is thriving. Residents are getting shiny brand new towers to live in instead of old rusty renos...

Old 08-03-2013, 12:28 PM

I've been reading many forums and there are rumors for two towers to be announced in Dallas soon.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I've been reading many forums and there are rumors for two towers to be announced in Dallas soon.
its about time you guys join the party.. congrats

Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Stoneclaw nailed it.. Houston's skylines are far broader than Dallas', even dallasboi won't try to argue that. Downtown Dallas (you were specifying downtown Houston in the comparison) isn't even close to downtown Houston. It isn't until you factor in the additional uptown Dallas district that the multiple skylines even come close to competing with downtown Houston. We have shown you angles where multiple skylines in Houston line up, just as uptown an downtown Dallas line up at certain angles, and Houston dominates..

As for "old rusty buildings like the Exxon tower".. Psh as if Dallas doesn't have any skyscrapers from the 1960s or before. If that's not the pot calling the kettle black idk what is. Fwiw the Exxon Mobile Tower has very unique architecture and many people would hate to see it go. There were a lot of people up in arms when it was announced that the Exxon tower would be undergoing renovations in 2015, afraid they might alter the buildings signature style.
Houston doesn't need to start converting its old office spaces into anything but new office spaces because unlike Dallas, Houston doesn't have many vacancies downtown and our office market is thriving. Residents are getting shiny brand new towers to live in instead of old rusty renos...
The Dallas Office market is thriving as well, just not Downtown. People would rather have brand new office buildings than old office buildings. Many companies want state-of-the-art office buildings and I don't blame them. If I had to choose between a 1960s office building and a 2013 office building, I would pick the new one of course.

Uptown is building many office towers and many companies are moving offices to Uptown because of the newer offices. That's why a lot of the older buildings in Dallas are renovating their buildings to make it more attractive. Some buildings are extremely expensive to renovate to today's standards, it's better to turn it into residential.

Recently, KPMG announced it would move from KPMG Centre to the planned Hall Arts Center, which will be constructed in Downtown. Like, I said companies want state-of-the-art buildings. The companies who do move into the older buildings heavily renovate the buildings. They gut the building and do a complete rebuild.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
its about time you guys join the party.. congrats
We didn't join the party we were already there......for 5 hours lol

There's been numerous buildings planned in Dallas but I can't keep up with all of them. Uptown is going through a building boom. There was a building announced July 22nd and is already under-construction.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The Dallas Office market is thriving as well, just not Downtown. People would rather have brand new office buildings than old office buildings. Many companies want state-of-the-art office buildings and I don't blame them. If I had to choose between a 1960s office building and a 2013 office building, I would pick the new one of course.

Uptown is building many office towers and many companies are moving offices to Uptown because of the newer offices. That's why a lot of the older buildings in Dallas are renovating their buildings to make it more attractive. Some buildings are extremely expensive to renovate to today's standards, it's better to turn it into residential.

Recently, KPMG announced it would move from KPMG Centre to the planned Hall Arts Center, which will be constructed in Downtown. Like, I said companies want state-of-the-art buildings. The companies who do move into the older buildings heavily renovate the buildings. They gut the building and do a complete rebuild.
Would you rather LIVE in an old office building, or work in one? the same could be said for residents wanting new construction. Office buildings can be renovated to have state of the art facilities. One could say the same about residential conversions but at the end of the day it goes back to my original question. Would you rather live in an old office building, or just have to work in one?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Would you rather LIVE in an old office building, or work in one? the same could be said for residents wanting new construction. Office buildings can be renovated to have state of the art facilities. One could say the same about residential conversions but at the end of the day it goes back to my original question. Would you rather live in an old office building, or just have to work in one?
I wouldn't have a problem living in a old office building.

Some office buildings aren't worth renovating so residential is the only option.

I was reading the online newspaper and it said, (My summary) the design of office buildings have changed dramatically since the 80s. In the postmodern era they had buildings with grand lobbies and expensive wood and marble finishes, now companies don't want that. They want simple furnishings and finishes and areas where their workers can collaborate.

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-03-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas