Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 PM

581 posts, read 927,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Thanks, but I'm talking about the one in Houston.
I believe Crescent is in the process of selling all that property right now. I think it is that old office development that extended to the south towards the convention center. It has been built up rather nicely of late It faltered during the late eighties and eventually Crescent snatched it up.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i wasnt ever not calm..? just pointing out some of the ridiculous claims in his false statements.
One of my statements was about how the central core area of Dallas has a unique relationship with Love Field not found in New York City, Chicago, Paris, or Houston. Houston doesn't have a Lemmon Avenue. Houston doesn't have a Highland Park Village. Houston doesn't have a golden retail corridor of Preston Road.
Houston does have upscale, but one would have to hire a Bohemian native guide to go on safari to find it.
The Dallas Fair Park is also an original classic. Likewise, the blend of the established Turtle Creek area and that of the way the new Katy trail maintains its grade meeting up with it and running parallel to it (being that it is a converted old railroad corridor) has become a new instant classic.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,086,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
New York City is New York City. Dallas compares very well to Dallas itself meaning that it is a very unique southern city.

Look, you could come down here and make me in the dead of winter get all snuggled up to go next door to my neighbors house to borrow a cup of sugar. When you ain't looking though, I'm just gonna trot over barefooted to get it.
In other words, a southern city is going to look different from a northern one because we don't have to worry as much with freezing to death.

That said, there is the Dallas Fair Park with it being unique to, well, the Dallas Fair Park. There is also Dallas itself which is, well, uniquely Dallas. It is like opening your eyes. Indeed, we are part Mexican down here, Mexican in how we can indeed run barefooted to our neighbors in the dead of winter to borrow a cup of sugar.

So, forget about New York City, Paris, Chicago, and Houston. Dallas has developed into Dallas period.

There isn't another situation in the world like what Dallas has with Love Field. Indeed, not in any of the cities mentioned above. And Dallas isn't square being connected four ways as are those old traditional kind of cities, that is quite antiquated and backwards, but the core area of Dallas has worked hard for forty years now to connect itself directly with the eight sides surrounding it.

In Houston, the people will indeed act like they are living in New York City, Paris, or Chicago. In contrast, in the much larger Dallas, culturally speaking . . . ahem, the people simply act like they live in Dallas.
^

That was a rather ridiculous statement.

Houston has never tried to be anything other than Houston. Why do you think zoning always gets voted down? They don't want to be like any other city.

Dallas thinks they are the Texas version of Beverly Hills. Just ask the fine people of Highland Park if you disagree.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM

6,779 posts, read 10,040,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The biggest lie that you can ever tell about Dallas is to say that this isn't a city that desires to be accepted and admired. No, you can't say that about a city that builds a gaudy bridge over floodplain, just so they can say they have one.

Pretentiousness = / = Confidence.
You know dang well that bridge is apart of the Trinity River project.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,583,001 times
Quote:
One of my statements was about how the central core area of Dallas has a unique relationship with Love Field not found in New York City, Chicago, Paris, or Houston. Houston doesn't have a Lemmon Avenue. Houston doesn't have a Highland Park Village. Houston doesn't have a golden retail corridor of Preston Road.
Houston does have upscale, but one would have to hire a Bohemian native guide to go on safari to find it.
The Dallas Fair Park is also an original classic. Likewise, the blend of the established Turtle Creek area and that of the way the new Katy trail maintains its grade meeting up with it and running parallel to it (being that it is a converted old railroad corridor) has become a new instant classic.
dude, you dont get it. this is a thread about skylines. your making ridiculous claims about off topic crap that has nothing to do with skyscrapers or skylines. if you want to try and boast some of those ridiculous claims go to the Dallas vs Houston thread. btw, Houston tops Dallas in shopping even with the "golden corridor" (is that supposed to be a rip off of the magnificent mile or something?), and there are plenty of things i could list that Houston has that Dallas doesnt.. thats beside the point.
like Metro Matt pointed out, we (with the exception of people like the anti-Ashby high rise, lol) love not having zoning in Houston, and it makes Houston a hell of a lot more unique than Dallas will ever be. your city is lost in an identity crisis, not sure wether you want to be Las Vegas or Atlanta more. make up your mind already and stick with it, but dont claim to be "original".

Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
dude, you dont get it. this is a thread about skylines. your making ridiculous claims about off topic crap that has nothing to do with skyscrapers or skylines. if you want to try and boast some of those ridiculous claims go to the Dallas vs Houston thread. btw, Houston tops Dallas in shopping even with the "golden corridor" (is that supposed to be a rip off of the magnificent mile or something?), and there are plenty of things i could list that Houston has that Dallas doesnt.. thats beside the point.
like Metro Matt pointed out, we (with the exception of people like the anti-Ashby high rise, lol) love not having zoning in Houston, and it makes Houston a hell of a lot more unique than Dallas will ever be. your city is lost in an identity crisis, not sure wether you want to be Las Vegas or Atlanta more. make up your mind already and stick with it, but dont claim to be "original".
Okay, please don't get me booted out of here. Seems like that is what you guys always resort to when you start losing. Just stay calm for cripes sake.

You know, Paris doesn't really have an urban like skyline. Instead, it built one during modern times out in the suburbs called La Defence. I can imagine a sophisticated French civil engineer sitting at a table out on the street in downtown Paris enjoying sipping on a coffee and reading about the world famous Katy trail in Dallas, Texas. He would realize that trails don't have to actually meet up or cross in order to be connected. In this area of the Katy Trail, it travels parallel with the already long established Turtle Creek Trail. But the Turtle Creek Trail doesn't always follow at grade.

The reason I point these things out are for some strange reason, people in Houston don't consider the Turtle Creek Business District to be part of the skyline of Dallas. But just as Uptown has been transitioned into downtown Dallas, so has Turtle Creek been transitioned into Uptown.

See, this Katy Trail thing isn't just a stupid path. It is actually something a civil engineer over in Paris would be fascinated with.

And, yes, this is on topic because, for all intended purposes, the skyline of Turtle Creek is part of downtown Dallas.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
^

That was a rather ridiculous statement.

Houston has never tried to be anything other than Houston. Why do you think zoning always gets voted down? They don't want to be like any other city.

Dallas thinks they are the Texas version of Beverly Hills. Just ask the fine people of Highland Park if you disagree.
I could have interviewed a Doctor who, living in a Bohemian part of the classic Montrose area, lived next door to a poor Mexican day laborer. But did he ever take up the day laborers offer to ride in the back of his pickup down to the strip joint located at the end of their street? No! It is one thing to live next door to a poor Mexican day laborer. it is whole other matter to ride down in the back of his pickup truck to the strip joint located at the end of the street.

Man, I could kick myself for not giving that interview!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Okay, please don't get me booted out of here. Seems like that is what you guys always resort to when you start losing. Just stay calm for cripes sake.

You know, Paris doesn't really have an urban like skyline. Instead, it built one during modern times out in the suburbs called La Defence. I can imagine a sophisticated French civil engineer sitting at a table out on the street in downtown Paris enjoying sipping on a coffee and reading about the world famous Katy trail in Dallas, Texas. He would realize that trails don't have to actually meet up or cross in order to be connected. In this area of the Katy Trail, it travels parallel with the already long established Turtle Creek Trail. But the Turtle Creek Trail doesn't always follow at grade.

The reason I point these things out are for some strange reason, people in Houston don't consider the Turtle Creek Business District to be part of the skyline of Dallas. But just as Uptown has been transitioned into downtown Dallas, so has Turtle Creek been transitioned into Uptown.

See, this Katy Trail thing isn't just a stupid path. It is actually something a civil engineer over in Paris would be fascinated with.

And, yes, this is on topic because, for all intended purposes, the skyline of Turtle Creek is part of downtown Dallas.
when we start losing? geez kid, what are you on? Houston has always dominated this skyline debate, and most everyone knows this except a few of you living in some alternate reality.. your bringing up useless crap like a bunch of fancy strip malls and sidewalks now trying to win an argument, and its really pathetic. as for the savy french dude.. you can keep on imagining. no way in heck anyone outside of DFW cares enough about some average Rails to Trails project known as the "Katy Trail" (which i assure you is far from world famous, heck, the majority of Texans outside of DFW probably dont even know what it is). you really are living in fantasy land. when you come back down to earth get back to us on this world famous mythical land of Dallas that you speak of.

if you were really trying to stay on topic then what does the Dallas Fair Park, the "golden corridor", Lemmon Ave (i had to look that one up) or Highland Park Village have to do with skylines?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I could have interviewed a Doctor who, living in a Bohemian part of the classic Montrose area, lived next door to a poor Mexican day laborer. But did he ever take up the day laborers offer to ride in the back of his pickup down to the strip joint located at the end of their street? No! It is one thing to live next door to a poor Mexican day laborer. it is whole other matter to ride down in the back of his pickup truck to the strip joint located at the end of the street.

Man, I could kick myself for not giving that interview!
i almost forgot youre the same noob that was taking all those weak shots at Houston a few weeks ago. i should have known not to bother feeding the troll.. again with your off topic posts.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
i almost forgot youre the same noob that was taking all those weak shots at Houston a few weeks ago. i should have known not to bother feeding the troll.. again with your off topic posts.
But I am making a point here concerning the pretentiousness of Houstonians. Tis' better to be a totally aware snob in Dallas than to be one in Houston and be totally oblivious of that fact.

Me? If I was a doctor living in the Montrose area, I'd be willing to ride down to the corner strip joint in the back of a Mexican day laborer's truck. You only live once!

Montrose Blvd is one of the few things that has been done right in Houston. It is a direct connection between the Texas Medical Center and Allen Parkway where it ushers out from downtown Houston. It doesn't get cut off by the Southwest Freeway because of how they built those suspension bridges along this part connecting the neighborhoods together.

Speaking of suspension bridges, why aren't these considered stupid?

Again, here are some photos demonstrating how many areas in the core of central Dallas are in the process of melding into one:

Downtown Dallas - HD Travel photos and wallpapers

The above photo is a picture of downtown Dallas

... on the WABAC Machine: Next stop 1984 Uptown Dallas | Biz Beat Blog

The above photo is a picture of Uptown as it has grown out from downtown.

CITYPLACE :: About Cityplace

This above picture has CityPlace in the foreground, downtown Dallas far off in the left corner and Uptown in the right. The Turtle Creek commercial district is off just to the right of this picture.

As development continues within the Stemmons Corridor in the vicinity of the Dallas Market Center and the Southwestern Medical District, an area incorporating Stemmons Freeway, a commuter rail line, Harry Hines Blvd., and a light rail line all the way to Maple Avenue, an impressive commercial district should continue building up in this area as well.

Last edited by binkyman; 08-06-2013 at 01:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas