Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
hahaha. seriously? those bridges look a lot nicer than the mediocre crap you overpaid Calatrava for. both freeways were designed and built at the same time, so im not sure how you can say one is a copy of another. and 75 has nothing very architecturally aesthetic, much less anything resembling a colorfully lit up arch bridge. 59 has the vegetation growing on the walls too. Dallas cant seem to keep anything alive long enough to grow on the walls of 75.
that stretch of road is like a mile long.. only a few cross roads and if you want one of those roads you just exit before the road dips. try to enter the freeway from the roads around the Klyde Warren park.. oh... you cant....i forgot.....nice try Dallas. ......
Not the same at all.....and you know this MANN!!!!...For one Woodall rodgers is a connecter freeway theres no need to get on or off during the stretch of KWP..you are passing through to 35 or 45/75.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:56 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I don't know who told you that lie...75 re-do was finished in 1994...59 was finished in 99 or 2000
Meh, I was off by a couple years. I knew they were both under construction in the mid to late 90s. Are you jealous Houston got the more aesthetically pleasing design?

Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM

6,722 posts, read 9,970,837 times
TexasTallest, stick to skyscrapers..........

Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas' bridge to nowhere does nothing for me. If it were so great you'd be hearing about it from people outside of Dallas, but you don't. I'm sure when they built it they thought it would gain the national fame the St. Louis Arch did, but it didn't.

I prefer real bridges to somewhere. Ones that actually serve a purpose like allowing ships with millions of dollars worth of cargo to pass underneath them on a daily basis.
Nah, not really. I haven't really met anybody who was waiting for national recognition. There was a lot of local pride in it though. Same with the new one getting built. We can't wait to see it in person, haven't even thought about what outsiders think and quite frankly don't care.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,752 times
Here's a couple of districts.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM

581 posts, read 925,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So now watching billions of dollars a year go underneath Houston's bridges is "silly nonsense"? Dallas' bridge doesn't do anything but serve a few hundred people a day allowing them to pass over a grassy flood plain.

Sea cargo is the bread & butter of Houston's economy as is every other major seaport in the World with an iconic bridge or bridges. Houston never set out to build an iconic bridge, it built one to serve the purpose you stated. Dallas' bridges/bridges will never gain iconic status despite what they intentionally designed them to be. Dallas thought it would give the city a national identity & praise from other cities, which it didn't. For the most part they've gone largely unnoticed outside of Dallas proper. Those bridges will from here on out be known in Dallas only. I'm sure if the people in say NYC or San Francisco heard about Dallas' bridges they would think its hilarious & a stupid idea as they do nothing but make the city look even more pretentious than it already is & serve no other purpose.
The bridge into West Dallas directly connects a neighborhood across the Trinity River just as bridges directly connect towards the southwest from downtown into Oak Cliff. The Houston bridge into Oak Cliff was also a signature bridge when it was built many years ago. Do you guys ever look at maps? You tend to yap in contradiction concerning the obvious in plain sight. Try google maps. It is spelt g - o - o - . . .

Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
$1.4M grant awarded for lighting of bridges over Hwy 59 - Your Houston News: News

heres something you Dallas posters might like. (off topic a little but were talking about lighting and these bridges were brought up earlier) i always thought these bridges would of fit in great over the central expressway in Dallas. its about time they bring the lighting back.

(i just tried googling a picture of the bridges when they were lit up back around 2000.. cant find a single one. does anyone have a picture of them when they had the colorful lights on?)
The primary reason for those suspension bridges was because trucks were running into the ones they had prior. They weren't intended to connect neighborhoods or to be iconic. Indeed, they already had bridges placed similarly there before that weren't suspension bridges. The suspension bridges span a wider freeway that happened because of the widening of the freeway. Indeed, all this sunken portion will flood just like the rest of the majority of Houston will during a stalled tropical storm.

Quit being so dramatic getting up all in our faces like you are Dallas or something . . . "snap . . . snap . . . snap . . . snap with a Z! . . . talk to the hand! . . . talk to the hand!"

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I like our version better!

Houston:

Dallas:

.......DALLAS PLEASE!!!!!
In the picture of Uptown and Greenway Plaza, while the first is about five miles from downtown Houston, the latter is about as far away from downtown as Preston Center is from downtown Dallas which is about four miles. I think these two centers are similar save that Preston is by and large a world famous commercial shopping district. Only recently has Greenway Plaza added shopping.

During the time Greenway Plaza was being developed in Houston, Park Central was being developed in Dallas. In fact, I can remember reading a magazine comparing and contrasting the two developments. One of the major differences was the distances they were from downtown. Again, Greenway Plaza is about four miles from downtown Houston. In contrast, Park Central is located ten miles from downtown Dallas. The Dallas Galleria today is also located about ten miles from downtown Dallas while Houston's Galleria is about six.

Why is this fact so? Well, it is because that is the distances the freeway loops are located from the two downtowns.

Also in contrast to Uptown in Houston, the Uptown area in Dallas is right next to downtown Dallas. The Dallas Market Center and the large hotel district resulting because of it, is right against Uptown. The Dallas Design District with its over 300 stores and exhibits is right against Uptown as well. The Southwestern Medical District butts right up against the Dallas Design District.

See, we don't want some poor guy in Italy reading about how Houston compares to Dallas and then, after deciding to move there, finding out later he was lied to and then hating himself for it all the while having to continue living in the area.

I didn't mean to use the L word, beloved forum members. I should have said twisted the truth around to the extent that the devil is laughing about it.

Any way, you guys are trying to argue that Houston has a continuous urban core similar to Dallas. The Texas Medical Center is miles away from both downtown and the suburban areas of Greenspoint and Uptown, and are separated by walls and walls of elevated concrete freeways. Again, the only avenue that works in Houston in the Dallas sense of that word is Montrose.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Here's a couple of districts.
And how much area separates the skyline of Uptown from downtown Dallas? Make that a big zero. How much area separates Uptown from the Dallas Design District? Again, make that a big zero. Ditto the area in miles the Dallas Market Center is from Uptown and the Dallas Design District, and the same is true of the distance the Southwestern Medical District is from the Dallas Market Center.

Downtown Houston is miles and miles away from the Texas Medical Center and the suburban area of Greenway Plaza and Uptown Houston.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
And how much area separates the skyline of Uptown from downtown Dallas? Make that a big zero. How much area separates Uptown from the Dallas Design District? Again, make that a big zero. Ditto the area in miles the Dallas Market Center is from Uptown and the Dallas Design District, and the same is true of the distance the Southwestern Medical District is from the Dallas Market Center.

Downtown Houston is miles and miles away from the Texas Medical Center and the suburban area of Greenway Plaza and Uptown Houston.
LOLOL. By your logic...

Downtown houston is 0 miles from midtown
Midtown is 0 miles from the museum district
And the museum district is 0 miles from the Texas Medical Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas