Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,901,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
We all fall off topic every now and then, but the last SEVERAL pages have been just about New Orleans. That's a little overboard, and it's coming off as a way to deliberately avoid the topic.

I, for one, I'm still interested in getting to the bottom of this.
The bottom of WHAT, Nairobi? I'm not being sarcastic, either. It's an honest question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,397,006 times
Maybe the point was that rednecks are not just found in east Texas. Some like me have passed through a lot of places, including New Orleans.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,634,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The bottom of WHAT, Nairobi? I'm not being sarcastic, either. It's an honest question.
You beat me to it, Texas sis. Congratulations! As I was flipping thru the latest posts (been out most of the day) and saw that one, I was thinking exactly the same thing. That is: The bottom of WHAT??? LOL

Off on a quick tangent? Of course, I agree that discussing NOLA was not the original topic of this thread. Sometimes thread topics -- whatever they are -- have a way of straying a bit. That is only natural. It is the same way when people sit around the table and start on one subject which leads to another.

Nairobi? Let me put it a different way, ok? Now, I admit I could be wrong and will admit it if so. But my opinion is that you want to keep talking about "racism and rednecks"... and lots of us are just flat-a$$ sick to death of the subject. It is just simply not a big deal to lots of us, and we don't spend time obsessing about it. You apparently do.

We all know there are "redneck racists" (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, anyway), that come in all colors and stripes of colors. I would hope though, that we all know too that other than the individual actually responsible for the crime as defined at the time, that no "race" is collectively responsible for what happened in the past. Particularly something that happened 200 years ago.

What more do you want, Nairobi? What is (IMHO) most irritating about your recent posts on the subject is that you seem to think everyone else should share in your beating a dead horse. And personally, you bordered on insulting me by insinuating that -- as a white teacher with many black students -- that I and those like me (teachers of minority kids) were responsible for the plight/condition of young black males?

Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. But in MY opinion, it is just one more example of advancing the destructive ideas of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Not bragging, not even meaning to, but my time with minority kids was to actually teach them things they need to know in life. That is, condenced, reading and writing and math!

But equally? That they were not victims...and that their destiny was in their own hands. They they could be anything they wanted to be if they strived to be.

What do you teach them, Nairobi?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,397,006 times
This seems to be just one of those threads where the OP offers faulty premises for argument and expects everyone to follow through. No geographic region as large as eastern Texas can be totally made up of a "bunch of rednecks. Secondly, the OP offered no statistics to show that "most" Texans stereotype east Texas as a redneck region.

The New Orleans discussion was simply a natural diversion from trollish and unsupported premises.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,366,696 times
Quote:
I guess that wasn't the best way to put it. There's no real way of getting to the bottom of this.

For now, it's just good to know that there are people who understand where I'm coming from.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:00 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,783,874 times
Quote:
We all fall off topic every now and then, but the last SEVERAL pages have been just about New Orleans. That's a little overboard, and it's coming off as a way to deliberately avoid the topic.

I, for one, I'm still interested in getting to the bottom of this.
Quote:
The bottom of WHAT, Nairobi?
Isn't it the God's truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
But my opinion is that you want to keep talking about "racism and rednecks"... and lots of us are just flat-a$$ sick to death of the subject. It is just simply not a big deal to lots of us, and we don't spend time obsessing about it. You apparently do.

What more do you want, Nairobi? What is (IMHO) most irritating about your recent posts on the subject is that you seem to think everyone else should share in your beating a dead horse.

Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. But in MY opinion, it is just one more example of advancing the destructive ideas of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Exactly!

Quote:
I guess that wasn't the best way to put it. There's no real way of getting to the bottom of this.

For now, it's just good to know that there are people who understand where I'm coming from.
Sure, there's some people around who know where you're coming from with your racist remarks because their thinking is exactly like yours and there will always be the die-hards, such as yourself, hanging on to the same old tired scenarios and fanning the fires simply because it makes them feel better about their own shortcomings.

Another thing you might not realize with all your education is how to read people. There's many that will side with you because they don't want to ruffle the waters and they want to be popular and liked by everyone. Keep an eye out for them, they are what common sense people call two-faced, but I'm sure you already know this, just like everything else.

All I got to say about it is, New Orleans is a fascinating place and far more interesting than 'the Man having his foot on your neck'.

Anyway, you meant exactly what you said (wanting to get to the bottom of this) and my response when I first read it was the same as others who have already posted about it . . . 'the bottom of what'? Anyone with half a brain can clearly see the thread has pretty much run it's course, so good grief, who really cares (except you with that continued racism thing you got going).

But to keep on track and make you happy (well, I seriously doubt that's possible, but I'll give it a shot) we actually ought to realize just exactly what a 'redneck' is. The term came about to describe people who work outdoors and therefore get a sunburn on their neck where their collars don't cover. Then it seemed to become more directed towards farmers, ranch hands, etc.. Now it seems people confuse it with someone being backwards, ignorant, more of a hilly billy who never got off the mountain and never had any education whatsoever.

So to the people who believe that, who's the ignorant one? LOL Ask the farmer who's got the million dollars worth of equipment and the education to go with it, but enjoys a hands-on operation. Dang, Nairobi, he just might be almost as affluent and as educated as yourself, never do know, do you? And yet, he's got the redneck handle to go with it all. Same goes for the rancher and his cattle operation. LOL He just might have more money tied up in one bull than you have in all your savings accounts. Just saying . . . you just never do know.

So, I say to all the pretentious people who loved putting others down, you just might not have a clue in hell as to what you're spouting off about.

I will also say if the term redneck describes an ignorant, backwoods person (like many believe), then you better believe there are plenty enough of the white collared people who fall smack dab into that 'redneck' category. I've met some of the most 'educated' (LOL to a point of making a career of it) who have more book learning than several people put together, yet are some of the most ignorant people I ever had the misfortune to come across.

I'll say another thing about the majority of those people who don't mind getting out in the elements, doing a hard days work . . . for the most part you won't find a better group of people. The majority of them are honest, helpful and genuinely down to earth good folks that'd give you the shirt off their back, what we call the salt of the earth. And I don't care if they're in East Texas, West Texas or timbucktoo, I'm proud to associate with them.

Hope this is back on track enough for you Nairobi, because it doesn't look like too many people are chomping at the bits to get back into your old, tired racism discussion, which is really what you want. eeewww!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Isn't it the God's truth?

Exactly!

Sure, there's some people around who know where you're coming from with your racist remarks because their thinking is exactly like yours and there will always be the die-hards, such as yourself, hanging on to the same old tired scenarios and fanning the fires simply because it makes them feel better about their own shortcomings.

Another thing you might not realize with all your education is how to read people. There's many that will side with you because they don't want to ruffle the waters and they want to be popular and liked by everyone. Keep an eye out for them, they are what common sense people call two-faced, but I'm sure you already know this, just like everything else.

All I got to say about it is, New Orleans is a fascinating place and far more interesting than 'the Man having his foot on your neck'.

Anyway, you meant exactly what you said (wanting to get to the bottom of this) and my response when I first read it was the same as others who have already posted about it . . . 'the bottom of what'? Anyone with half a brain can clearly see the thread has pretty much run it's course, so good grief, who really cares (except you with that continued racism thing you got going).

But to keep on track and make you happy (well, I seriously doubt that's possible, but I'll give it a shot) we actually ought to realize just exactly what a 'redneck' is. The term came about to describe people who work outdoors and therefore get a sunburn on their neck where their collars don't cover. Then it seemed to become more directed towards farmers, ranch hands, etc.. Now it seems people confuse it with someone being backwards, ignorant, more of a hilly billy who never got off the mountain and never had any education whatsoever.

So to the people who believe that, who's the ignorant one? LOL Ask the farmer who's got the million dollars worth of equipment and the education to go with it, but enjoys a hands-on operation. Dang, Nairobi, he just might be almost as affluent and as educated as yourself, never do know, do you? And yet, he's got the redneck handle to go with it all. Same goes for the rancher and his cattle operation. LOL He just might have more money tied up in one bull than you have in all your savings accounts. Just saying . . . you just never do know.

So, I say to all the pretentious people who loved putting others down, you just might not have a clue in hell as to what you're spouting off about.

I will also say if the term redneck describes an ignorant, backwoods person (like many believe), then you better believe there are plenty enough of the white collared people who fall smack dab into that 'redneck' category. I've met some of the most 'educated' (LOL to a point of making a career of it) who have more book learning than several people put together, yet are some of the most ignorant people I ever had the misfortune to come across.

I'll say another thing about the majority of those people who don't mind getting out in the elements, doing a hard days work . . . for the most part you won't find a better group of people. The majority of them are honest, helpful and genuinely down to earth good folks that'd give you the shirt off their back, what we call the salt of the earth. And I don't care if they're in East Texas, West Texas or timbucktoo, I'm proud to associate with them.

Hope this is back on track enough for you Nairobi, because it doesn't look like too many people are chomping at the bits to get back into your old, tired racism discussion, which is really what you want. eeewww!
If you don't care for the discussion, there's a simple solution: don't post here. Problem solved.

The fact that several of you do post here proves that it means something to you, if for no other reason then to thump your chest and proudly tout that you don't care about colored people problems. Never will you bend to the idea that race is still an issue in this country!

...Oh, not unless we get to talk about everything that's wrong with black people. That's a discussion none of you mind participating in. Funny how that works.

I only wish I could thumps-up KathrynAragon again. She's a shining example of the mindset of someone who knows what they're talking about, and not someone who thinks they know everything.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,634,399 times
Quote:
=lonestar2007;30915336]Isn't it the God's truth?

Another STANDING OVATION Post, LoneStar2007!

All was great -- and I wish I could give you another rep -- but consider it done here! The bolded parts stood out in particular, but I am sure I missed a few even there. That was how good it is.

As you say -- and as you and I and others have in much earlier posts -- the vast majority of these so-called "rednecks" (now sometimes used as a pejorative terms by the self-defined "educated and affluent"). Quite simply, they are the salt of the earth. Just ask their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and etc, thru the generations.

In fact, they fertilized the earth.

They are the ones who feed the nation, make possible the production of energy to fuel cars and houses, and -- among other countless things -- be the first to pull over and help you change your flat tire on a rainy night. And even give one a place to stay for the night if that was what it came down to.

If it weren't for these "rednecks", then most of the snooty "educated and affluent" class some people seem to insist and make a yawing and boring and supercilious point about themselves, would be fish out of water.

In other words? If it really came down to brass tacks? Well, those who reflexively look down on "rednecks"? Hey, eat the lawbook or use it as fuel to cook the food that is no longer available, anyway. Figure out just where your living really comes from in the final analysis. And still does, far as that goes!

Thanks for an excellent post, LoneStar!

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-11-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Another STANDING OVATION Post, LoneStar2007!

All was great -- and I wish I could give you another rep -- but consider it done here! The bolded parts stood out in particular, but I am sure I missed a few even there. That was how good it is.

As you say -- and as you and I and others have in much earlier posts -- the vast majority of these so-called "rednecks" (now sometimes used as a pejorative terms by the self-defined "educated and affluent"). Quite simply, they are the salt of the earth. Just ask their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and etc, thru the generations.

In fact, they fertilized the earth.

They are the ones who feed the nation, make possible the production of energy to fuel cars and houses, and -- among other countless things -- be the first to pull over and help you change your flat tire on a rainy night. And even give one a place to stay for the night if that was what it came down to.

If it weren't for these "rednecks", then most of the snooty "educated and affluent" class some people seem to insist and make a yawing and boring and supercilious point about themselves, would be fish out of water.

In other words? If it really came down to brass tacks? Well, those who reflexively look down on "rednecks"? Hey, eat the lawbook or use it as fuel to cook the food that is no longer available, anyway. Figure out just where your living really comes from in the final analysis. And still does, far as that goes!

Thanks for an excellent post, LoneStar!
I'm pretty certain "rednecks" aren't the only hardworking people in the country.

I'm "snooty" for being proud of my educational and financial successes, yet the alternative is being a gangbanger with multiple baby-mommas and no job. Apparently, it's impossible to please you.

I come from a family of blue collar workers and grandparents who were sharecroppers. They're the ones who pushed for me to pursue everything I have now. I'll make no apologies for being proud of it, and I'm sure they wouldn't want me to.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,783,874 times
Quote:
If you don't care for the discussion, there's a simple solution: don't post here. Problem solved.

The fact that several of you do post here proves that it means something to you, if for no other reason then to thump your chest and proudly tout that you don't care about colored people problems. Never will you bend to the idea that race is still an issue in this country!

...Oh, not unless we get to talk about everything that's wrong with black people. That's a discussion none of you mind participating in. Funny how that works.

I only wish I could thumps-up KathrynAragon again. She's a shining example of the mindset of someone who knows what they're talking about, and not someone who thinks they know everything.
LOL Here you go again. There's no discussing anything with you, it's just listening to how the white people put you down for being black. How funny, but not really, because it simply isn't true. You get put down, maybe you should do some self examination. Something tells me there's a little more going on here than you care to admit.

"race is still an issue in this country" I seriously can't even believe a person with even the slightest bit of education or sense would utter something like this. LOL Of course, race is an issue in this country. Duh! Race is an issue in EVERY country and everyone knows that. What you fail to grasp, is the fact racism is in EVERYBODY (Whites, blacks yellows, browns, etc.) and it's pointless on your behalf to deny it. You so want to make everyone believe that any discrimination from the whites towards the blacks is the only only racism there is. Just laughable.

"I only wish I could thumps-up KathrynAragon again. She's a shining example of the mindset of someone who knows what they're talking about, and not someone who thinks they know everything". LOL, Sorry, but this is every bit as funny as the rest of your post, maybe more so.

Well good enough, Nairobi, you got to harp some more about how nobody cares about the "colored people problems". Enjoy it while you can. Again, too funny.

Oops, just got suckered back in, didn't I? Dang, Nairobi, you're damn good at this game, I'll give you that. Must have had a lot of practice, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas